Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 PM

141 posts, read 237,619 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is a very broad ask I know, but what my husband and I are after is somewhere:

* mid sized city - not too busy, not too quiet
* rent for a 1bdroom under $1,000 p/m
* safe
* Friendly people
* Warm (not too humid)
* good for newly weds (palm trees are good!)
* no kids so no need to worry about daycare
* Good job market - I am an Exec assistant but can also work as a travel agent or call centre staff if I must
* Good adult schooling- My husband will be an I.T student (recent military leaver)
* Pet friendly - we have 2 cats

So basically we will be hoping to live off one salary + savings so we need somewhere reasonably priced.

We are happy to relocate anywhere as we will both be job free at the time of moving and living from savings till I can get a job.

Too much to ask?

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,627 times
Raleigh-Durham, NC...no palm trees but it fulfills pretty much everything else.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM

cool thanks.. ill take a look. im not originally from the US so it is much harder for me as I have no clue!!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
If you can deal with some humidity Austin Texas is nice and has a good economy

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 AM

Anyone got any other ideas??

I am in love with the idea of San Diego but I hear that it is ridiculously expensive and hard to get work. Can anyone agree or deny this?

cheers!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
You'll either need to pony up the $$$ for a less humid "palm tree climate" in California or come up with a tolerance for some humidity to live in a less expensive one in the southeast. Adding "good job market" to your criteria pretty much eliminates most of the potential areas that would fit all your criteria.

You might look at spots in the desert SW like Tucson, AZ & Las Cruces, NM.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
You might want to look into Lubbock, Texas. It's a city of about 225,000 (I'm not sure if that's the size you're looking for) that's clean, safe, has a good university (Texas Tech), has friendly people, has warm and fairly dry weather (it's not a desert though), and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
What about Corpus Christi or San Antonio TX?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,634 times
I would take San Diego off your list. It is ridiculously expensive. I spent a wonderful 5 years living in San Diego and wanted to move back, but after living elsewhere the sticker shock was too much for me. I had to change my plans once I realized that moving back would be a really financially irresponsible move. Not only is it super expensive and hard to find a job, even if you do find a job it will probably be low paying. This is not just due to the economy either. San Diego has always paid very low wages compared with what you could earn in another city such as Los Angeles. People generally live in SD for the lifestyle- not to save money or to gain career opportunities.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
A few cities to check

Official Tucson Travel Information Guide Website

Tucson Metropolitan Chamber Of Commerce: Home

Corpus Christi, TX Travel and Vacation Information | Hotels, Beaches, Attractions | VisitCorpusChristiTX.org

Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce

Home : VisitPhoenix.com

Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce - Grow Your Business ● Save Money ● Have a Voice in Your Government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.