Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 AM

149 posts, read 360,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
I found this shot of the NYC skyline from Murray Dr near Hillsborough, NJ, probably about the same distance

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/7870875

Clearer & cropped:
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/7870392
Nah, that's almost another 15 miles further than the Babylon LI one (45 miles) vs. the NJ one which says Montgomery, NJ (57 miles). Still cool shots though. I really want to see the WTC from Robert Moses now. I always wonder if it's close enough that we could have seen the smoke on 9/11 but that's probably pushing it. You could see the smoke from space though, so then again never know. It really bothers me that there is no walking area or observation tower near the Robert Moses Bridge. The only way to see the skyline is to risk A) Going slow and getting rear-ended and beeped at or B) To go normal speed and turn your head risking drifting. I still wonder if you can see the BK bridge (it's about 300 ft tall) if there was a true tower on the beach 1,000 ft tall (I know it would never happen lol). If somehow a 1,000 ft tower was built in the spot of the bridge I think you could see the entire skyline pretty damn clearly on most days. The distance is close enough, it's just the damn elevation or lackthereof. My dream would be to have a huge tower built with a bar at the top in the central LI area (Babylon, Ronkonkoma, Islip) with amazing NYC views. My uncle told me that he used to see the ESB from Northern State Pkwy at about the Huntington area. Cannot confirm that though but it makes perfect sense being only like 35 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM

32 posts, read 190,165 times
Pnoozi, go to google maps and type in "Holdman PLace Millstone NJ". If you are traveling down that road and are looking straight ahead you won't miss it. HUGE hill with dark yellow soil. Access is somewhat blocked by a housing development but there is plenty of access points to the hill that don't cross private property.

Thanks for posting that picture of the skyline! I will have to check out that spot as well. I checked the distance and it is almost exactly the same as the one from Pine Hill. It is 42 miles in a straight line and about 60 miles by car.

Also if you travel over to the other side of Pine Hill I think there is a view to the south. On a clear day can you see Philly? I am not sure. Haven't been to that side in about 5 years and it was on a hazy day.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM

169 posts, read 500,712 times
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahle333 View Post
Pnoozi, go to google maps and type in "Holdman PLace Millstone NJ". If you are traveling down that road and are looking straight ahead you won't miss it. HUGE hill with dark yellow soil. Access is somewhat blocked by a housing development but there is plenty of access points to the hill that don't cross private property.

Thanks for posting that picture of the skyline! I will have to check out that spot as well. I checked the distance and it is almost exactly the same as the one from Pine Hill. It is 42 miles in a straight line and about 60 miles by car.

Also if you travel over to the other side of Pine Hill I think there is a view to the south. On a clear day can you see Philly? I am not sure. Haven't been to that side in about 5 years and it was on a hazy day.
I doubt it. That spot looks closer to New York than Philly, and New York's buildings are taller.

But I'm thinking the New Jersey Dept of Labor building in Trenton might be tall enough (13 stories) to see both.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

97 posts, read 202,767 times
So? Being Closer to NYC has nothing to do with the ability to see Philadelphia. The Manalapan/Millstone area (Rt 33 Corridor) may be a great place to catch three skylines, NYC, Philly, and Trenton. You just need height, that's all.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I doubt it. That spot looks closer to New York than Philly, and New York's buildings are taller.

But I'm thinking the New Jersey Dept of Labor building in Trenton might be tall enough (13 stories) to see both.
Very True. Philadelphia is a bit further and not as high.

Not sure if 13 stories in Trenton would do it. If its 12ft per floor that is only a bit over 150ft. Maybe but from my experiences flying in a Cessna in the general area you need at the very least 300ft (depending on whats in the way). 500ft is better and 1000 ft pretty much guarentees you a view of AC, Philly and NYC. I watched the altimeter when coming in for a landing near that area.

I've been on top of Hanger 1 at Lakehurst hoping to catch a Glimpse of AC (about 40 miles to the south). It is 182 or so feet tall. No deal. Not enough height. My friend who works there told me you could also see NYC from up there. He was wrong. You can't. LOL

Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM

169 posts, read 500,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahle333 View Post
Very True. Philadelphia is a bit further and not as high.

Not sure if 13 stories in Trenton would do it. If its 12ft per floor that is only a bit over 150ft. Maybe but from my experiences flying in a Cessna in the general area you need at the very least 300ft (depending on whats in the way). 500ft is better and 1000 ft pretty much guarentees you a view of AC, Philly and NYC. I watched the altimeter when coming in for a landing near that area.

I've been on top of Hanger 1 at Lakehurst hoping to catch a Glimpse of AC (about 40 miles to the south). It is 182 or so feet tall. No deal. Not enough height. My friend who works there told me you could also see NYC from up there. He was wrong. You can't. LOL
Damn... I figured a 13 story building would be taller than a 300 ft hill but I guess a 300 ft hill is higher than it looks :-/

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

242 posts, read 510,682 times
You can see Toronto from across the lake in Buffalo on a clear day. You can also see TO from Niagara Falls, Hamilton, etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
I was driving home from Houston the other day, and saw downtown Corpus Christi from US 77 in between Sinton and Odem. I am not sure how many miles away exactly that is, but it has to be at least 25-30.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Damn... I figured a 13 story building would be taller than a 300 ft hill but I guess a 300 ft hill is higher than it looks :-/
Well I guess it also depends on what height the land is the building is situated on. I think you are already about 150ft above sea level before you even climb Pine Hill. I am pretty sure Trenton is a pretty "low" city since it is right on the Delaware River.

I know Baltimore has some buildings that are over 500ft tall but is situated on land that is at sea level. You can't see the Baltimore skyline from anywhere. I've been 10 miles from Baltimore and not been able to see the skyline.

You may be able to see both skylines from a 13 story building. I just haven't had good results with it.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times
The other day I was walking along Sherwood Island in Westport, CT about 45 miles north of NYC and you could see the skyline, with a decently clear view of the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower. Also, from atop the Sheffield Island Lighthouse in Norwalk, probably about 40 miles from NYC you could see the whole skyline. Also, one time while flying in a plane going into LaGuardia, the best view I ever got was when we were over the Norwalk-Stamford area at night (saw the location after looking at the flight tracker shortly after landing), but you were able to see a panorama of the Manhattan skyline lit up along with the Throgs Neck, Whitestone, and GW Bridges lit up. One of the most amazing views I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.