Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 AM

16 posts, read 11,691 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our late 40’s, no kids, and considering moving out of Atlanta for various reasons. Atlanta actually has a lot going for it, so if we decided to stay, it’s not like we’re miserable. However, the pace of development, traffic, and the general pace of the city has become a bit too intense for our liking – and suburban homes are much too far from the city center and in suburbs that we’re not a big fan of.

We’re interested in exploring other options nation-wide, likely smaller (but decent size) cities that might still have a bit of food, culture, and lifestyle appeal. Our criteria is as follows:

• Strong economy and job flexibility (banking/financial services/commercial real estate)
• Manageable traffic/congestion (Significantly less than Atlanta)
• Houses less than $500k that have trees, yard, and feel removed from the hustle and bustle of the city.
• Less than 30 minute commute from said house to/from work at peak times
• Trees, greenspaces, parks
• Good hospitals/doctors
• Winters that are somewhat mild/bearable – so NOT Omaha for instance
• People who are easygoing and less inclined to be politically radical or “us vs. them” in their views. I
don’t care whether a city is more Republican or more Democrat, so long as people don’t frequently
crowbar their venom for the other half of American into their daily conversations. In other words,
Portland is off the table.

I have a feeling that the city I’m looking for is called “Unicorn, USA”, but it’s worth a shot. I really appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Dallas

Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Dallas
He already lives in Atlanta...

Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Omaha and Des Moines fit your criteria in every category other than winter.

And their winters aren't THAT bad. I mean, compared to Atlanta, but better than Minneapolis or the Rust Belt (more sun, less snow).

Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Louisville, Nashville, Charlotte

Old 01-21-2020, 10:27 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded_1 View Post
My wife and I are in our late 40’s, no kids, and considering moving out of Atlanta for various reasons. Atlanta actually has a lot going for it, so if we decided to stay, it’s not like we’re miserable. However, the pace of development, traffic, and the general pace of the city has become a bit too intense for our liking – and suburban homes are much too far from the city center and in suburbs that we’re not a big fan of.

We’re interested in exploring other options nation-wide, likely smaller (but decent size) cities that might still have a bit of food, culture, and lifestyle appeal. Our criteria is as follows:

• Strong economy and job flexibility (banking/financial services/commercial real estate)
• Manageable traffic/congestion (Significantly less than Atlanta)
• Houses less than $500k that have trees, yard, and feel removed from the hustle and bustle of the city.
• Less than 30 minute commute from said house to/from work at peak times
• Trees, greenspaces, parks
• Good hospitals/doctors
• Winters that are somewhat mild/bearable – so NOT Omaha for instance
• People who are easygoing and less inclined to be politically radical or “us vs. them” in their views. I
don’t care whether a city is more Republican or more Democrat, so long as people don’t frequently
crowbar their venom for the other half of American into their daily conversations. In other words,
Portland is off the table.

I have a feeling that the city I’m looking for is called “Unicorn, USA”, but it’s worth a shot. I really appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you.
Raleigh, NC - specifically probably Cary or Apex

Imagine a less compact, less stressful ATL. Winters are bearable.

Cary has lots of greenspace, bike trails, parks, etc. For $500K you can absolutely find what you want. Downtown Cary is small but has decent places to eat/hang out. Lots of events going on in Cary and Raleigh.

Traffic can be congested during certain times and on certain routes, but it's nothing like ATL.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,772 times
My first thought was Charlotte.

How far north are you really willing to look and be open to? Indianapolis/Cincinnati are pretty nice cities to consider.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
What about Knoxville or Chattanooga, TN? Or Lexington, KY?

Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Sacramento and Reno.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 PM

472 posts, read 346,771 times
San Antonio, Phoenix, or Nashville? Traffic isn't great in them but not terrible. All fairly affordable (but prices are rising). None are super political really. Best of luck! Maybe NOLA or Memphis could fit these but arguably less so.

Last edited by Crazybreakfast; 01-21-2020 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Added NOLA and Memphis- good pricing and also aren't super political but have their own issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.