Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think have the most lively downtowns?Have the most attractions,cultural venues,residents,retail,etc.

I would say San Antonio would be in the top 15 most lively downtowns in the U.S.
We know New York,Chicago,San Fran,Boston are a given.

Places to see in Downtown San Antonio.

*World class musuems(San Antonio Musuem of Art,a new Smithsonian)
*Two historic arts districts(Southtown,La Vilita)River North Theatre district planned.
*5 restored historic Vaudeville theatre Palaces.
*100's of dining options.
*16,000 hotel rooms.Major cenvention center.
*The 13 mile urban Riverwalk.Central Riverwalk,UC River North.
*Historical sites.Alamo,San Fernando Cathederal,Historical Arneson amphitheatre,Scotish Rite Temple,Municipal Auditorium.
*Oldest cathederal in America-San Fernando.
*Many parks and plazas.
*Entertainment centers:Sunset Station,Alamo Plaza,St.Paul Square,Market Square,Hemisphere Park,The Pearl District.(UC)
*Shoping Centers:Rivercenter Mall,Market Square,Houston Street.
*5 major hospitals,2 universities,3 high Schools.
*Nearly 25,000 residents in Greater downtown.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the most lively downtowns in the U.S.?-sanant.bmp  

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-05-2007 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 AM

288 posts, read 1,328,878 times
New York
Seattle
San Francisco
Chicago
Las Vegas

I'm throwing in Los Angeles, because what's going on with development in L.A. right now is magical. (L.A. Live, Nokia, etc.) .........and just because the city as a whole has so many spots, that are very lively........Sunset Strip, Hollywood, all the way down to the Pike in Long Beach,.... etc.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
San Antonio Riverwalk is second to none.

I would add Seattle to the 4 cities you just mentioned. Downtown Houston is also becoming more lively these days. I feel bad for Dallas. Hopefully, when the Trinity River Corridor Project completed in 2012, Dallas will make a comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
What cities do you think have the most lively downtowns?Have the most attractions,cultural venues,residents,retail,etc.

I would say San Antonio would be in the top 15 most lively downtowns in the U.S.
We know New York,Chicago,San Fran,Boston are a given.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
San Antonio always comes to mind , when I think of the downtown area. A river runs thru it........as in the case of a lot of big cities , but , SA has a charm like no where else in that department.
Chicago , as well , has the Chicago river , along with , Lake Michigan , so , I think it would be a toss up there...........

Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 AM

San Antonio riverwalk is nice.............but San Antonio is one of those cities, I would easily drive past or just fly over to get to another city.

Doesn't look too bad though.

I do have a tend to not really like, cities.......with the cheap Space Needle knock offs.............I like to call them "Fake Needles"

I give Vegas a pass, because it's cin city and that's what they do.

But to the others........come on. Get your own icon, don't copy.

Space Needle - Seattle, Washington USA

Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 AM

Tower of Americas - San Antonio, Texas USA

Old 11-05-2007, 03:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
NY
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Seattle
New Orleans(pre Katrina)
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
San Diego
Portland Ore.
Minneapolis
D.C.
Baltimore
Denver
Las Vegas

Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
New York
Seattle
San Francisco
Chicago
Las Vegas

I'm throwing in Los Angeles, because what's going on with development in L.A. right now is magical. (L.A. Live, Nokia, etc.) .........and just because the city as a whole has so many spots, that are very lively........Sunset Strip, Hollywood, all the way down to the Pike in Long Beach,.... etc.
Santa Monica. Yeah. LA's very vibrant

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 AM

146 posts, read 797,326 times
These are ranked, and this is what I have noted in my travels:

1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Seattle
5. Los Angeles
6. Boston
7. Washington DC
8. Portland, OR
9. Philly
10. Denver

I was actually very surprised how inactive the downtown areas were when I visited Texas. I was in Dallas for a while, then spent a few days in Austin, a few weeks in San Antonio, and about a month in Houston. I guess it has a lot to do with just how sprawled out these cities are, and the fact that transit there is terrible, but it really did freak me out (especially Dallas). However, San Antonio was pretty cool, and I loved the Riverwalk.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
I would pop LA out of that picture. I didn't think their "downtown" area was that active at all. But, it has been five years since I have been there and it may have changed. There were areas around the city that were active though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.