Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times

Advertisements

Just got back from summer vacation. We were sentenced to drive the entire length of 75 through GA. What a complete nightmare! Worst drive ever.
Nearly the entire thing is under construction.
1 lane through entire valdosta area. Metro Atlanta had no construction but that is a nightmare to drive through as most of you likely will know.
Hopefully I will never have to travel that road again very soon.
Yikes. WARNING: to anyone having to travel this road this summer, leave a buffer of about 2-3 hours extra to get through the entire state of GA.
What is UP with 75????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 03:46 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Thumbs down $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Just got back from summer vacation. We were sentenced to drive the entire length of 75 through GA. What a complete nightmare! Worst drive ever.
Nearly the entire thing is under construction.
1 lane through entire valdosta area. Metro Atlanta had no construction but that is a nightmare to drive through as most of you likely will know.
Hopefully I will never have to travel that road again very soon.
Yikes. WARNING: to anyone having to travel this road this summer, leave a buffer of about 2-3 hours extra to get through the entire state of GA.
What is UP with 75????
We just don't have enough it seems. Education, crime, a severe crisis in mental health and cough--too many people--some of which are intent on 'Evil'.

So--some money goes to DOT--which needs about twice the amount, a meager amount goes to education--which needs 100x the amount and we need thousands more in law enforcement--burn out is epidemic or so I conclude.

Much more to the story--certain there will be some good responses.

~~~~~~~

In the meantime--if anyone cares to comment--is the Environmental Noise adding to stress in your life. Living near I85 and PDK it is really a problem for me. My poor dog and the other neighborhood dog barks like a maniac when sirens go off. Couldn't get to sleep last night--we tried to walk and had to keep getting out of the way of cars--no reason for the cars to be coming through after 9PM--something really needs to be DONE. I have expressed my
opinion--not happy with the response.

Actually, I think this is worthy of a new thread. Look for it.

sls

Old 06-23-2007, 04:35 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
LOL, you said it yourself I-75 runs the whole length of Georgia, amny people are commuters, and there is a piece that runs that runs throuhg Downtwon Atlanta, one of the largest cities in the south, construction would be primarily due to fast growing population in the whole Atlanta Metro-Area, and its need for more lanes. Also you may have expiercen traffic down in Macon, at the I-75, I-475 Merger, well this is do so the the two interstates can be considered a perimeter, but currently there is no way to get onto I-475, from I-75, and visa versa. The only way to get I-475 from I-75 is going through the city of Macon, which is a very common route, trying to get from Interstate 16 onto Interstae 475, I know its sound confusing, but its all to increase the effectiveness of Georgia's Interstates.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Too many people, too many trucks
how many lanes of traffic are needed?
there is a proposal for 30 lanes of traffic on parts of I-75
Projections for I-95 are just as bad
I-95 through South Carolina is worse than horrible. The landscaping is beautiful, but not a pothole has been filled since it was built. The good side is that there are never any construction lane closings.

the Georgia Department of Transportation's Intelligent Transportation System
Georgia Navigator :: Home

State Road and Tollway Authority
State Road & Tollway Authority's Value Pricing Pilot Program Studies

Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 AM

30 lanes of traffic is kinda off, It it ever gets to the point where we need thiry lanes of traffic, something else has to be done, and 30 lanes of traffic would be very expensive to build, and would take alot of police force. But anywayz the 95 traffic through South Carolina is due to the booming that is taking place in most of the Georgia-South Carolina coastal cities, like Savannah, Brunswick, Charleston, Hilton Head, and Mrytle Beach. Constrcution lane closing takes place mostly at night. However most of the horrible traffic is experieced at the Goergia-South Carolina border, where in Georgia there are four lanes, then once you cross over the Savannah River into South Carolina, it shrinks down to two lanes. South Carolina needs to add four lanes.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
What's up? They are trying to make it better so that people can drive through Georgia faster. There is no way that they can do it overnight. I agree, road construction is a pain!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Georgia DOT, is always doing construction at night whether its the I-75, I-475 merger in Macon, to the Georgia 500 project, ( The most expensive GeorgiaDOT project in hsitory ). Many of the projects are done at night when traffic is low, these projects are not only on major interstates but many cties do road construction at nights. But yes all the construction is to make Georgia roads more effective, and beautiful roads to drive on

Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 AM

43 posts, read 219,083 times
Welcome to the Peach State

Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
They should have left I-75 two lanes all the way through. That way you wouldn't have so many people wanting to move to Georgia. The way to keep transplants from taking over your state is first and formost - STOP MAKING THE ROADS SO WELCOMING TO THEM!

The people in the town of Windermere, just outside of Orlando Florida figured this out. They refuse to pave their streets. Outsiders to this day complain about them not paving any of their streets. Then again, they don't have problems with people drag racing down their streets or playing booming ethnic music either.

The best time to drive I-75 is at night. You have to put up with a bunch of trucks, but you can make good time, even through N. Valdosta. Just don't speed through Warner Robbins, Forsyth, and a couple of places north of Valdosta (can't remember the names right now). Do 75 mph and you will be ok. Sometimes you can get away with doing 80 if the trucks are doing 80. I stopped using a radar detector years ago. Got too many tickets using it, and cops weren't too happy to see you have on if you got caught.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:47 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
30 lanes of traffic is kinda off, It it ever gets to the point where we need thiry lanes of traffic, something else has to be done, and 30 lanes of traffic would be very expensive to build, and would take alot of police force.
We actually aren't that far from that reality. The proposals I've seen for 75 through Cobb County are anywhere from 23 to 30 lanes (off course of the lanes wouldn't be general purpose, some would be truck only, others bus only). I think the more realistic proposal is the 23 lanes (if we are even able to get that) but who knows, we may be soon seeing 23 lanes through Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia