Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times

Advertisements

I don't see why the DOT should do anything. There are other, better options:
birth control
higher standards for drivers licenses
higher gas prices
tolls - $1 per empty seat in your vehicle
ban on oversize vehicles (aka SUV's)
trains

Why pave over the entire state for the benefit of a relatively few selfish pr*cks who demand that others pay to pave over the world so THEY can lock themselves in a huge, gas guzzling SUV and travel to Florida without having to 'gasp' interact with other real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
I-95 through Georgia is great is South Carolina that has its problem, I-95 through Georgia is just newly repaved, but once entering South Carolina from Savannah its horrible, you go from four lanes to two like nothing. If you ever notice traffic going toward Mrytle Beach is always crowded but traffic going to Georgia isnt.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,806 times
Going through Atlanta on I 75 on Saturday.............is it best to take the by-pass with all the construction downtown?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale simmonds View Post
Going through Atlanta on I 75 on Saturday.............is it best to take the by-pass with all the construction downtown?
Yes, the downtown connector will have 4 lanes shutdown going north and south. I would use I-285.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 31,632 times
I've lived in Valdosta for 12 years, eight of which 1-75 has been under construction from Atlanta down to the FL line. There's been little progress made because something bad happened with the company doing the concrete work - a shortage or a huge increase in the cost or the company went bankrupt or there was fraud? Something along those lines. I just know that 1-75 construction near Valdosta in 2004/2005 ground to a halt for about 10 months.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 70,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Yes, the downtown connector will have 4 lanes shutdown going north and south. I would use I-285.
Okay, I'm very confused. I'm going through Georgia to Florida from Birmingham next week and I thought I had my route decided, but now I'm not so sure. I obviously have no desire to encounter a two- or three-hour construction delay.

In an earlier post this week, I was querying about info through central Georgia coming west from Birmingham. I mentioned taking the I-20->I-285->I-75 route, but someone responded that was the "slow" route - that I should take I-20 all the way to I-75. The GA 511 Info line told me the opposite - take I-20 to I-285 to I-75 to bypass the construction. When I plot the route on MapQuest and ask it to highlight construction zones, it shows construction on I-75 *north* of I-20, but I don't see any *south* of I-20. The post(s) above seem to say the same thing - take I-285 from I-20 and pick up I-75 downstream. To say the least, it seems I have conflicting information. Maybe I'm just not listening well!

Now I don't know what to do. My apologies if I sound confused or just plain dumb (wouldn't be the first time), but I would greatly appreciate some clarification. It appears we'll be driving through the Atlanta area in mid-morning on a Friday...there's an outside shot we may be hitting the Atlanta area right at 8AM, which sounds a lot like rush hour to me - ugh..

Any help appreciated.

T

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 154,969 times
i would go to columbus, ga. and hit 520 through albany and then 133 to valdosta and pick up I-75. nice senic ride.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 70,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capri man View Post
i would go to columbus, ga. and hit 520 through albany and then 133 to valdosta and pick up I-75. nice senic ride.
Thanks much for that suggestion, Capri.

I had originally planned to take precisely that route, but some other research I did and some people I spoke with who are more familiar with the area suggested that GA-520 runs through several *very* small towns, some of which are notorious for speed traps at the expense of vehicles with out-of-state plates - and you don't even have to be speeding to be graced with a $160+ ticket. That really makes me wary. Am I being too cautious? The interstate route will cost me about a half-hour or so it appears, but that half-hour would look cheap if I get a ticket...

Thanks again,
Tourister

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
I'VE got an idea; since the nimrods who run the GA DOT have NO clue about highway safety (and who think revenue enhancement is more important than safety) already restrict trucks to the right lanes of a highway, I think they should just go "whole hog" and restrict trucks to ONLY the right lane. That way, during rush hour, the solid wall of trucks will keep the cars off the interstates and thus insure highway safety for us trained professionals that actually know what we're doing behind the wheel. (And I am NOT including the "Billy Big Rigger" truckin' Wannabees that large truckload carriers and third-rate small companies love to hire...)

Actuallly, I shouldn't say that the GA DOT is ALL bad; they are nice enough to keep us out of downtown Atlanta for our own safety if we're fortunate enough to not be delivering inside of the I-285 loop.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 51,567 times
Smile I 75 through Georgia is indeed a nightmare. Might I suggest Rt.520 as an alternative route for travelers heading to Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Just got back from summer vacation. We were sentenced to drive the entire length of 75 through GA. What a complete nightmare! Worst drive ever.
Nearly the entire thing is under construction.
1 lane through entire valdosta area. Metro Atlanta had no construction but that is a nightmare to drive through as most of you likely will know.
Hopefully I will never have to travel that road again very soon.
Yikes. WARNING: to anyone having to travel this road this summer, leave a buffer of about 2-3 hours extra to get through the entire state of GA.
What is UP with 75????
I would suggest travelers headed to Fl. check out Rt.520. Look at your maps and you will marvel at this route,as it provides a terrific ,scenic trip through Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia