Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 PM

54 posts, read 195,282 times

Advertisements

We are heading up to Blue Ridge this weekend for a one week stay and we were going to look at property while we're there. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what are the nicest areas (Young Harris, Blue Ridge, Helen, Blairsville,etc.)? We are looking for a nice Summer home with our two kids, ages 5 and 10. We would love to be on a Lake but we need to stay under $500k. Are some areas more family oriented?
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
It all depends on what you and your kids like to do.

I did the same thing you are doing about 2 years ago. I looked in Blue Ridge, and almost bought a place there. There are some beautiful places in Blue Ridge. My Realtor lived in Blairesville and said if she knew about Young Harris when she bought, that would have been where she would have prefered.

I have a 5 year old, and I am glad that I did not end up with a place in Blue Ridge. There's just not all that much for kids to do in Blue Ridge. I much prefer Rabun County. However, I also like Hawassee - right near Young Harris, and the lake Chatuge area. Now, that I am more familiar with this area, I'd say that my favorite area in N. Georgia is around Lake Burton.

Here's why I like Rabun Co.:
1. Chatooga River, rafting and kayaking, and just playing around in the river - there's a little beach area where even little kids can play in the river on a hot day. There are some larger rocks / falls where the older kids like to dive in. The river is really great.

2. I love Lake Burton - I like to rent a little boat and just spend the day on that lake.

3. It's mountianous and I found some beautiful unspoiled remote areas.

5. The Bartrum Trail runs from Clayton to Highlands, NC, with some fantastic views, waterfalls, etc.

6. The Dillard House is awsome, and we like the Dillard Stables which is open to the public.

7. The town of Clayton is a genuine small town with a nice little downtown. They recently got a Home Depot and a Wallmart - it's convenient, but I could do without them......(it is really convenient, though!)

8. Its not far from Hawassee, Highlands, Franklin, and some other interesting areas.

9. Its far enough away from Atlanta for me.

However, if you live in Atlanta (I don't) and you are trying to keep that drive at about an hour or so, which I totally understand, out of the ones you picked - I'd be more interested in Young Harris. It is quite mountianous in that area; it is right near the lake and Hawassee is a nice little town too.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks so much for the reply Prichard. I already had sent you a PM before I read your response here. I'm from South Florida, I feel like that's a negative on this board so I was hesitant to mention that.

How far is Rabun County and the Dillard areas you mentioned from Blue Ridge?
What are the names of the cities in Rabun County?

Thanks again I really appreciate all of the information!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM

By the way, the things we like to do are fishing, hiking, rafting and horseback riding and boating.

I'd love to know the best place to go horseback riding while we're there.

Are you allowed to have a horse in any of these areas? I don't know that we would, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
. I'm from South Florida, I feel like that's a negative on this board so I was hesitant to mention that.
I am from South Florida, so no negativity from me..

When we were originally looking at Georgia, we were thinking about getting a house in the mountains to live year round...until the first realtor I spoke with told me that the "nice" restaurant they just built was a Ruby Tuesday. I am a city girl at heart, so we decieded to buy a house closer to Atlanta, then buy a rental/vacation house in the mountains.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
Momtomany, Rabun Co. is in the NE corner of Georgia, bordering NC and SC. It is not that close to Blue Ridge, as Blue Ridge is more in the center of N. Georgia.

Rabun County is Clayton, Dillard, Rabun Gap, Tiger, Lake Burton area, Lakemont - Lake Rabun Area. Clayton is the county seat and the rest of the little towns are within about an 8 mile radius from Clayton. Dillard is famous for its many antique malls/shops and the Dillard House. Rabun Gap (between Clayton and Dillard) has a beautiful private boarding school called the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School.

The best place to go horse back riding is in Dillard at the Dillard Stables / Dillard House. They have a full stables and have trail riding from about April through December. Kids younger than about 6 can't go on trail rides, but you can lead little children around the stables on one of their horses to get them used to being on a horse. I did this with my kid when she was only 3.

I live in Central Florida, so I have an idea of what you're looking for. Blue Ridge is great for people who live in Atlanta - this is because most people living in North Atlanta can be at their place in Blue Ridge within about an hour. Coming from Florida (yes, I drive it) it really makes little difference whether you go to Blue Ridge, Look Out Mountain or the Rabun County area - the travel times to each of these is within 1/2 hour difference.

From Orlando, it takes me about 7.5 - 8 hours to get from my house to my cabin in Rabun Co. Took me about the same amount of time to get to Blue Ridge or to Dade Co (Dade Co. being the longest drive.) Hawassee / Blairsville / Young Harris was a little bit harder to get to. If you are from South Florida, I'd presume that you would fly into Atlanta and then drive.

If you are from Florida, you are probably looking for a place that you can spend a week to two weeks at a time, and have things to do. If you have small kids, I'd think twice before buying in Blue Ridge. There is just a little more for you to do with your kids to do in the Rabun Co. area than in Blue Ridge - it's just a more active area in general. Also, you will notice that more people from Florida tend to go to Clayton, Dillard, Sky Vally, Highlands (NC) and Franklin (NC). Quite a few go to Blue Ridge as well, though.

Last edited by Prichard; 07-23-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 28,883 times
Default Thinking of relocating to the area.

Just looking around. Trying to find a nice town. I was looking into the LaGrange area but now thinking about the Blue Ridge area. Any suggestions? I am from the north.
Thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Default My 2 cents

I lived in Young Harris for a couple of years. Also went to college there in the mid 60s. The quality of life is excellent. They now have a cinema complex; a nice public beach; a great music complex---we saw the Beach Boys there. They have two annual fairs/festivals. It is clean and crime free. Blue Ridge has more interesting shops and is more of a tourist attraction with the RR. You can find plenty to do in both areas but I am partial to YH/Hiawassee area. I think it is much prettier personally.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 28,883 times
Thanks Ollie. Just wondering how the jobs are in that area? I have an accounting and office manager background. I plan on renting, if possible, when I first move and then looking for something once in the area. Is only me. My children are grown and on their own.
Any info is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Default Opinion

I suggest you contact Young Harris College first. They are in the process of transitioning from a 2 year to a 4 year institution. You might find something there though I imagine the locals find out about such work first and get the nod first. But that is just speculation. As someone else pointed out, the healthcare industry is growing in the area due to influx of retirees.

I would say to you that you are more likely to find something in Rabun County (Clayton). But here's the deal, you need to explore, explore, explore from Blue Ridge to Blairsville to Young Harris to Hiwassee, to Hayesville, NC to Clayton (Rabun County) and throw in Murphy, NC. Any of that area is gorgeous but getting more crowded all the time relative to 20 years ago. I know, what isn't. Find a quality area and people flock there.

We left the area after 2 years because of too much isolation and inconvenience. We thought the beauty and bucolic life would carry us thru, but it didn't. Plus, we missed our friends and moved back to our present location.

Ask more questions if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia