Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,772 times

Advertisements

I have had enough of the cold and the fact that Big Brother is constantly looking over all of our shoulders so i have decided to move to somewhere where I hope that I can be myself and not try to be someone that everyone else wants me to be for them. Can anyone tell me what this area is like. I have found the place I really like. It is about 2 acres with a beautiful modular on it. I am going through a horrendious divorce and want to start over in peace and quiet,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM

61 posts, read 355,956 times
Well if you want peace and quiet, Montezuma should be a good place. It is a small farm town in a rural area.

The thing that stands out the most about Montezuma is the community of Amish Mennonites. They are an offshoot of the Pennsylvania Amish, but are somewhat more modernized. Yoder’s Mennonite restaurant is a favorite of my family, so for that reason I go to Montezuma occasionally. It always seems so peaceful there and everyone seems friendly.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM

75 posts, read 382,104 times
i have relatives in montezuma. It is a very quiet and laid back area. There is a great mennonite restaurant headed towards hawkinsville. It has been a while since i have visited there. It was really messed up during the big floods in the 90's

Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 163,339 times
nice place

Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 16,191 times
Default We live in Montezuma

My wife and I are in our 60s and moved permanently to Montezuma in Feb., 2007. Real estate prices are very reasonable. Shortage of local merchants (shoes, suits, jewelry, etc.) but a number of big box stores within 20 miles in Americus and Perry, and within 30 miles in Warner Robins, which has anything you would want. Very low crime rate. Lots of older homes are being renovated and put on the market. Best grocery store: Harveys, with nice and adequate selections except for gourmets. Various small restaurants, Mexican, Chinese, Pizza, McDonalds, Subway, typical franchises. Excellent breakfast at Huddle House. Big CVS. Questions?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 26,922 times
Default Montezuma

How are the schools? Is there a Hospital there? Job outlook?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco1 View Post
I have had enough of the cold and the fact that Big Brother is constantly looking over all of our shoulders so i have decided to move to somewhere where I hope that I can be myself and not try to be someone that everyone else wants me to be for them.
Montezuma as others have said is a decent rural area with laid back people, and yes, the Mennonites KNOW how to cook. You'll be somewhat out there, but still reasonably close to the chain stores as everyone has said.

So start your look there - but, the job situation throughout Georgia is somewhat slow right now, so make sure you have a reasonable amount of money to live off of if you have to first. For the record though, if you have a mortgage, car payment, bank account and/or credit cards, then Big Brother can see everything you do, so unless you're willing to stop having and using all of those things - you won't get away from the Big Bro.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM

38 posts, read 118,792 times
In my opinion, Macon County in general is ghetto. The rural deep south has plenty of "rural ghettos" and Macon County (Montezuma, Marshallville) is one of them. It's CERTAINLY not the same like in larger cities, and if you like the country you could definitely live there, but I just thought I should let you know that before you get down there and see something you werent expecting.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM

62 posts, read 215,087 times
I was born and raised in Montezuma. Seventy years old and White! I still have a brother and friends living there. In fact I was visiting my brother this week end.

I like Montezuma but you must know it is not for everybody. It is rural, quiet, and laid back. In the modern era every elective office is occupied by Blacks. The mayor, sheriff, police chief, school principal are all Black The schools are about 70% Black.

Not withstanding that Whites are a minority there I would move back if my wife would agree. My wife was born and raised in a city with 6 million people and Montezuma is just too quiet for her.

With regard to real estate, the amount of beautiful affordable homes is astounding. The lack of employment and the recession mean you can find a house on practically every block for sell. You can truly find great bargains there in real estate.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
I don't think the issue is what ethnic group runs a city but are they competent at it. I was born in Montezuma in 1946 and lived near it until age 18. Like so many other southern small towns, it is dead and not going to become alive.

I would recommend you compromise and get nearer to Perry or even Americus for convenience and for better job opportunities.

My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia