Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Seriously, what is this image of "farms"? The state of Georgia has far less farmland than practically any southeastern state, and far below as a percentage most states in the nation.

Georgia is one of the most LUSHLY Forested states in the nation. No one ever says, "I think of the forests", despite that when flying over Georgia, it looks like a massive wilderness in many ways.
Oh yeah and the forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sadly, the Georgia coast is an afterthought to many Georgians as well. And I really can't blame them. Why drive 5 hours from Atlanta to Tybee Island when in the same amount of time you can get to Destin, Fort Walton or Gulf Shores -- among the most beautiful beaches in the world?
All of the gulf beaches are beutiful. And I love DESTIN, I stayed in the palms of DESTIN hotel when I went there, but that was a long time ago, LOL I WAS 11 and I still remember the name.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
By the way, if Tybee or Georgia paid money to dump white sand on its beaches, it could have white sand too.
GIMME A BREAK! No community anywhere can afford to have "white sand" dumped onto its beaches simply for appearance sake, only to have the stuff wash back out to sea! And you don't "dump" it -- you "pump" it, usually from offshore using dredges atop barges.

During Tybee's last renourishment effort in 2008, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers pumped 1.2 million cubic yards of sand of high-qualitiy sand from a pit about a mile and a half offshore -- enough to fill 750 football fields a foot deep! Total cost was about $11 million, with Congress footing about half the bill.

And if Tybee didn't do this every 10 years or so ... there would be no Tybee. Most of the sand Tybee loses ends up on Hilton Head's beaches, which don't need it.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
GIMME A BREAK! No community anywhere can afford to have "white sand" dumped onto its beaches simply for appearance sake, only to have the stuff wash back out to sea! And you don't "dump" it -- you "pump" it, usually from offshore using dredges atop barges.

During Tybee's last renourishment effort in 2008, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers pumped 1.2 million cubic yards of sand of high-qualitiy sand from a pit about a mile and a half offshore -- enough to fill 750 football fields a foot deep! Total cost was about $11 million, with Congress footing about half the bill.

And if Tybee didn't do this every 10 years or so ... there would be no Tybee. Most of the sand Tybee loses ends up on Hilton Head's beaches, which don't need it.
So you're saying that none of the Gulf Coast beaches pump or dump white sand?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
I don't think he was saying that. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Atlantic beaches getting their sand from the Gulf. That theory is just crazy unrealistic and would be a huge waste of taxpayer money.

I'm pretty sure the Gulf beaches do the same thing places like Tybee do... pump sand from a few hundred feet out in the ocean back up to the beach for renourishment.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Don't know if they do or not. But if they did, the sand would come from right off shore -- on the Gulf floor, which is quite shallow. The gentler waves and minor shift in tides means very little beach erosion anyway. In fact, I think some parts of the Gulf have too much sand. I know it gets pushed onshore during hurricanes, which is the exact opposite of what happens here.

And this is interesting: The sand in the Gulf is white because it's primarily quartz crystal, which was naturally crushed and pulvarized as it washed downstream from ... THE NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS! Pretty incredible huh?

And no, I didn't already know that. I looked it up. Here's a link:

Someone asked :"What makes the sand white on the "Emerald Coast" of Florida?"? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Don't know if they do or not. But if they did, the sand would come from right off shore -- on the Gulf floor, which is quite shallow. The gentler waves and minor shift in tides means very little beach erosion anyway. In fact, I think some parts of the Gulf have too much sand. I know it gets pushed onshore during hurricanes, which is the exact opposite of what happens here.

And this is interesting: The sand in the Gulf is white because it's primarily quartz crystal, which was naturally crushed and pulvarized as it washed downstream from ... THE NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS! Pretty incredible huh?

And no, I didn't already know that. I looked it up. Here's a link:

Someone asked :"What makes the sand white on the "Emerald Coast" of Florida?"? - Yahoo! Answers
Oh, crap. I hope this doesn't mean we're gonna have a Tri-State Sand War now...

Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 62,035 times
I'm spoiled having lived in hawaii for a good many years but, i have to say tybee would be at the very bottom for me and jekyll somewhere near the top. last time i went to jekyll there were dolphins out very close to shore and it kind of made me reminisce, though whales would have been better ~_^

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,889 times
I like Long Beach and Jones Beach

Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
I personally like Jekyll!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia