Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest looking at Senoia in Coweta county and Tyrone and Peachtree City in Fayette county.They have about 90% of what you are looking for.Plus golf carts and golf cart paths are a great way to beat the traffic anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA View Post
Describe in your opinion and why what is your ideal city / county in North Georgia but not Cobb or Fulton County.

Medium to small medium town feel but not rural
Excellent School system and Employment not required but probably helps to build on better community qualities.
Good fire protection and emergency services
Good area for older persons (mid 50 - late 60's) for retirement
Good and close by quality health facilities (not just a triage or hold until they can get you to a good hospital)
Very good, well maintained city/county services, i.e. roadways, etc
Good code enforcement and housing standards enforced
Not massive traffic flow areas or issues (as in metro Atlanta)
Easily access to major roadway for traveling
An area with low crime
Not an area prone to major weather issues (though hard to predict I know)
Nice and good selection/variety grocery stores
An area with nice newer housing subdivisions

Again not desiring major metro areas or counties (again medium type community but not desiring rural area or housing area in rural/woods away from community)

All community ideas with their attributes and qualities are welcomed.....

Thanks in advance
Come take a look at Rome, Floyd County.

//www.city-data.com/city/Rome-Georgia.html

Floyd County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The Village at Maplewood: Over 55 active adult retirement community, homes, and condos in Northwest Georgia

ROMERETIREMENT.COM

Medicine is the largest employer in Floyd County:

Floyd Medical Center

Home - Redmond Regional

Harbin Clinic: Georgia Family Practice, Primary Care, Cardiovascular/Heart Institute, Cancer Center, Vein Center

Harbin Clinic Tony E. Warren, MD Cancer Center - Medical Oncology & Radiation Oncology

Floyd Emergency Medical Service Named Region 1 Service of the Year - YouTube

Education:

Rome City School

Home Page of the Floyd County Board of Education in Rome, Georgia

Darlington School: Home: Welcome

Shorter University - Transforming Lives Through Christ

Berry College - Experience it Firsthand

Georgia Highlands College

Employment:

Rome, GA Economy at a Glance

Arts:

ROME SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA, INC

Home Page

Rome Little Theatre

Library:

Rome-Floyd County Library - Sara Hightower Regional Library System

Sports:

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Rome Braves Homepage

Russell Athletic / NAIA National Football Championships 2011

Stonebridge Golf Club

Luxury Georgia Hotels | Atlanta Getaways | Barnsley Gardens Georgia Resort

Steeplechase 2012

coosavalleytennis.net

Climate:

Climate Rome - Georgia - Climate graph

We do get an occasional storm. Last summer was hot.

Current major grocery stores are Kroger (which is expanding), IGA, and Walmart & Sam's Club. There will be a new Publix soon. Fresh veggies available in the summer from several markets, including farmers selling in a local park a couple of days per week. There are Hispanic markets but not much else in the way of ethnic foods.

There is only one enclosed mall, with Sears, Penney's, and Belk's.

We have the usual chain restaurants and a few local independents with good food.

There is a large Barnes & Noble Book Store.

For high end shopping, Atlanta and Birmingham are close enough, and Kennesaw has Costco and Town Center Mall.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We're in Cherokee County, and it fits your requirements well. Great schools, small towns, plenty of new housing, access to 575 and 75 for travel, plenty of medical facilities (and a replacement Northside Cherokee Hospital breaking ground in the next year). There are rural parts, but there's also areas with some density, so you're likely to find whatever you're looking for. The "severe weather" is hard to predict, as you said, but we generally only have 1 or 2 storms per year that result in a tornado warning, and they're generally not storms that are large enough to cause major damage. The majority of the damage we see is related to large trees falling on houses, so if you select a home in a newer subdivision, you can at least avoid that issue by picking a lot that doesn't have large trees near the house.
I agree. Cherokee County seems to be the best fit. Good schools. Nice subdivisions. Plenty of shopping. Most is suburban, though the north side of the county is rural. Good health care, as well as communities even devoted to seniors. Traffic can be thick in some locations, though it pales in comparison to what one has to deal with in Cobb County.

It'd be a good place for a person of European descent to live. On top of that, it's a county whose population seems more educated than a lot of counties, yet it seems to retains a lot of its southern flare considering that the transplant numbers, though noticeable, are clearly lower as a percentage than they are in neighboring areas of northeast Cobb, North Fulton, or Forsyth Counties. I'd argue that it's an all-around good place for people who like access to the mountains, metro Atlanta, and a good quality of life. Lake Allatoona is right next door. The mountains are only around thirty miles away, starting in and around Jasper.

Someone else mentioned Forsyth County, but it seems to have a bit more uppity atmosphere to a large chunk of its population. A lot of northern transplants are also living there.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I'd suggest looking at Senoia in Coweta county and Tyrone and Peachtree City in Fayette county.They have about 90% of what you are looking for.Plus golf carts and golf cart paths are a great way to beat the traffic anywhere.
Coweta County is a nice place as well. I agree. Only problem is thick traffic at times between Peachtree City and Newnan.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM

14 posts, read 40,517 times
Rome, Coweta, Fayette, all dont excite us. Cherokee does seem nice. We just dont want it to turn into a Cobb, Fulton, Clayton in regards to traffic and crime.

Cherokee, Forsyth, Dawson and Lumpkin counties seem to be the best. Maybe Jasper and Catoosa are other possiblities in counties we may like.

Agruably Cherokee, Forsyth, and Catoosa have the best services and health care.

It seems that Woodstock is preferred over Canton but I dont know why. Others state that though rural Waleska is the area that will be growing in the near future but currently has the least amount of congestion than rest of Cherokee.

We are curious as to what part of Cherokee has the new housing but older citizens along with affordable housing.

Do agree with previous post about not wanting to drive up and down large mountain road and very curvy roads as we are getting older. Nor put up with others driving who may not be safe drivers.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Rome, Coweta, Fayette, all dont excite us. Cherokee does seem nice. We just dont want it to turn into a Cobb, Fulton, Clayton in regards to traffic and crime.

Cherokee, Forsyth, Dawson and Lumpkin counties seem to be the best. Maybe Jasper and Catoosa are other possiblities in counties we may like.

Agruably Cherokee, Forsyth, and Catoosa have the best services and health care.

It seems that Woodstock is preferred over Canton but I dont know why. Others state that though rural Waleska is the area that will be growing in the near future but currently has the least amount of congestion than rest of Cherokee.

We are curious as to what part of Cherokee has the new housing but older citizens along with affordable housing.

Do agree with previous post about not wanting to drive up and down large mountain road and very curvy roads as we are getting older. Nor put up with others driving who may not be safe drivers.
Up along Highway 140 heading toward Waleska from Canton is a large development devoted to seniors. I can't remember the name of it, but it is one of many subdivisions within a much larger development. Each subdivision within this massive development is large. One of them, probably one of the largest subdivisions in the development, is devoted to "senior living" as they tout it. These are houses, not apartments or town homes. It's an actual housing neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 40,517 times
Stars and Stripes,

Is that are that - Soleil Laurel Canyon. If so, I have seen that planned 55+ community. It seems very nice but of course houses are very expensive!

Anyone have opinion on differences between Northern Cherokee versus North Forsyth Counties?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Stars and Stripes,

Is that are that - Soleil Laurel Canyon. If so, I have seen that planned 55+ community. It seems very nice but of course houses are very expensive!

Anyone have opinion on differences between Northern Cherokee versus North Forsyth Counties?
It is Laurel Canyon. I do know that there are some apartment type senior communities in the county, but I am unsure of any other housing communities. I figured that Laurel Canyon had a range of price options, given its size. I guess not.

Differences between Northern Cherokee (area north of Canton, consisting of Waleska, Ball Ground, and Nelson) and Forsyth.

Unlike most of the rest of Cherokee County, northern Cherokee is primarily rural, though a number of housing developments have been built, particularly around Ball Ground and Waleska. Forsyth County's developed areas are probably a little less developed/populated than Cherokee County's developed areas, but Forsyth doesn't have as large a percentage of its county land that one could claim was a true rural. Some areas of northwest Forsyth County fit that bill, but that's about it. Even many areas of northern Forsyth County, such as around Coal Mountain and Matt, are exurban in nature. Like Cherokee, Forsyth County has plenty of shopping, with close access to a mall (North Point; Cherokee's access to Town Center). Cherokee, however, has better access to the mountains and is a bit closer to the mountains, given the nature of the Appalachians and their proximity to Jasper in Pickens County. Cherokee also has a quick road I-575 which turns into Ga. 515 to get there. However, Forsyth has quicker commutes to Dahlonega, home of the nation's first gold rush.

Overall, I'd say that Forsyth County is a bit wealthier, while Cherokee has a better range of incomes, but most somewhere in the middle to upper middle range. As said earlier, Forsyth County has a higher northern transplant percentage. I don't have the statistical data, but it's the general perception one gets in the area. I'd have to say that Forsyth County is probably only 60% native southerners, and in particular, some parts of south Forsyth are probably only 35-40% native southerners, namely around the John's Creek area of Forsyth County. Cherokee, on the other hand, is probably around 75% native southerners, with the low percentage being the Towne Lake area (probably only around 55%) or along the Highway 92 corridor in far southeast Cherokee. Outside of the illegal population in Canton, the city is fairly southern (I'd argue 85% +). Holly Springs is about 75-80% native southerners, in my opinion. Woodstock, if including Towne Lake, is about 60-65% native southerners. If not including Towne Lake, it's about 70% southern. As far as northern Cherokee goes, Ballground and Waleska are also filled with native southerners, though there are some transplants.

Ballground has a nice, quaint downtown area with little shops. It's not big, but it does look pleasing to the eye, and it does have a nice vibe. There's a number of subdivisions that have been built in close proximity to the downtown area.

Waleska is more rural than Ballground. The area west/southwest along Highway 108 is mostly protected land, part of a wildlife management area. The area east/southeast is patchy development, though mostly rural, until you get to Canton. The area north is is mostly woodland, while the area east is a mix of woodland and farmland. The downtown itself isn't large, and the town itself is known for being home to Reinhardt College.

If comparing Cherokee and Forsyth, I'd say that Cherokee has more to offer. However, if comparing north Cherokee with Forsyth, then Forsyth has more to offer. North Cherokee is mostly rural and more affordable, while Forsyth County is mostly suburban and more affluent, though there are more affordable locations throughout the county.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Stars and Stripes,

Generally, you're going to find that the age-restricted communities tend to run a bit pricier than comparable non-restricted communities. I'm not really sure why- I guess they figure if you want the exclusivity of the age restriction, you're going to pay for it.

In addition to Laurel Canyon, there's a place called The Orchards on Hickory Road near 140 that's 55+. It's also a bit pricey, so you may end up having to go with a non-restricted community if you're looking to be "affordable". A lot of the large subdivisions like Harmony on the Lakes, Bridgemill, etc., have large senior populations, and have groups dedicated to them at the community center, so you get the benefit of the network without paying the premium to be in an exclusive community.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Are you concerned about access to a very good hospital, specialized medicine or doctors?

If so, then maybe consider, Forsyth County or somewhere near it. Most of it is convenient to North Fulton where some very good hospitals are. Cherokee is convenient to Cobb County where more great hospitals are. These 2 northern suburban counties offer everything else you describe.

Some other good answers here, too. Floyd County may be a good fit, but it is definitely more rural and further out than the other areas mentioned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia