Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

My two friends and I have lucked out with a friend's cabin. We'll be there the last week in October. Middle aged, love to hunt thru thrift stores, antiquing, easy hikes, sightseeing, cool restaurants. Any suggestions from those who know the Clayton area well? Many thanks. Vikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,843 times
go to the dillard house just north of Clayton. Good country cooking!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
Default Some ideas...

Go into downtown Clayton. I don't remember all of the names of the stores, but there are some antique/thrift stores, Reeves Hardware - it's not just hardware - this place is awsome. Also, (I think on Savanah street, but I'm not sure) there is a store that sells all kinds of used stuff, and some great tools - yep, us guys gotta have tools! I also like the store that sells antique refurbished gas ovens - these things are beautiful (and expensive). There's a antique/thrift store going west on 76, a little outside of Clayton before you get to Lake Burton. I think the flea market just north of Clayton will be closed for the season. There is a fresh produce market a few miles north of Clayton on the east side of 441. If it's open, I highly recommend buying some friut/vegetables there. But, they may be closed in October.

As I'm more of an outdoorsman, I like to hike the trails and mountains in the area. I like tohike Black Rock mountain and part of the Bartrum trail - these are not real easy hikes, and various trails to see waterfalls. It's probably too late in the season to really enjoy the Chatooga river and Lake Burton. Wine tasting at the winery between Tiger and Clayton is fun.

Take a day out and drive from Clayton north on 441 to Dillard - you can't miss all of the antique and thrift stores - could probably spend a whole day there. Also, you could go horse back riding at the Dillard stables. But, then I'd suggest that you go Northeast on the road that takes you to Highlands North Carolina. It's only about a 20 minute drive from Dillard (and Dillard is only about 8 miles from Clayton). The views are beautiful, and I think you would really like Highlands, eventhough its a little more upscale and touristy there. If you have time, you can go into Franklin, NC. Personally, I like Clayton best out of all of these towns - it's got a little of everything, and it's not too artsy/touristy, which Highlands has somewhat become.

For those who really like a good hike, do the Bartrum trail.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkidawn View Post
My two friends and I have lucked out with a friend's cabin. We'll be there the last week in October. Middle aged, love to hunt thru thrift stores, antiquing, easy hikes, sightseeing, cool restaurants. Any suggestions from those who know the Clayton area well? Many thanks. Vikki
There are several things you will love that I have not already seen mentioned. One is be sure to have coffee at Grapes and Beans in town, visit Timpson Creek Gallery out Hwy 76 and also Black Bear Antiques in the same area. You have to eat at the Lake Rabun Hotel, the food there is great and they have new owners. Sometimes they have live music. There is a great trail on Black Rock that is not as strenuous as Bartram, but is moderate. There is also a very nice hike to Rabun Bald, the second highest peak in the state and a great 360 view. The food at Tallulah Grill is outstanding and the owner is an artist. Her paintings are hanging there. There is free blue grass music in Tallulah Falls most Saturday nights too. There are great waterfalls out by Lake Rabun, Minihaha Falls is a very easy hike and Angel Falls is moderate to strenuous.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
I know this thread is old, but could still apply.

This has nothing to do with Clayton County in the metro. The city is Clayton in Rabun county in the corner of northeast GA (bordering NC & SC) just in case a not-too-attentive reader doesn't know the difference.

Tallulah Falls is very close. Go there if the weather is nice or not. You get some nice scenic driving in. Since the area is a national forest, there are more than enough parks in your immediate to go hiking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: