Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

The difference....is that the flag now used by GA doesn't have the connotation that the "stars and bars" do from the Jim Crow and civil rights period AFTER the 1860s.
Our current flag IS the stars and bars.

The flag you have pictured is the southern cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

Regardless of the nomenclature used, we all know what Neil meant.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

Feel free to substitute "southern cross" for "stars and bars" then if more correct. The substance, which you ignored, is the same.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Burn. Lol

Don't take offense, as none was meant.

Personally I think a bumper sticker is more appropriate, but nonetheless amused at this argument, considering our state flag.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yeah, the current state flag looks like the original CSA flag. No doubt.

Wouldn't it have been nice if the state Legislature wasn't full of "good ole boys" who instead of doing the right thing, did the expedient thing, and threw a bone to the ignorant masses in this state who wanted to keep the flag the 1950s flag with the "stars and bars" on it? It's too bad the GA state flag isn't totally divorced from anything to do with the Civil War and the Confederacy, but there are obviously people in this state who wish the south had won and things were still as they were in the 1850s.

The difference....is that the flag now used by GA doesn't have the connotation that the "stars and bars" do from the Jim Crow and civil rights period AFTER the 1860s. The KKK and other redneck morons don't march with the 1861 battle flag. They march with the stars and bars. Which flag was in Selma as marchers were beat and hosed?

It's NOT just about the Civil War and the Confederacy, but about the 150 years that followed.

Dat pic of those white boys holding Confederate AND Union flags.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Didn't this pretty much run its course in the Atlanta forum? If the OP Is looking for people outside the metro area to come on board as if there is a different mindset in the rest of the state, I don't think so. Most people have come to realize that the St. Andrew's cross, even if it meant some sort of valor 150 years ago was abused in the last century to the point where it can no longer be used in any connotation and in any form other than to bring up hatred and bigotry and racism that was as bad if not worse than what happened under slavery. And I mean worse in that free men were treated as ruthlessly as if they were still slaves... decades after they were freed. It is a horrible legacy of our past. As a southerner of rural Georgia heritage, I am more ashamed of what was done by my race a half century ago than what was done a century and a half ago.

It's time to let it all go sir..........

Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I'm just going to say this. It's easy to say, "If you dont like it, look away" when you're the one doing something or holding a belief that may offend or bothers others, but as soon as those same people are on the other side of the equation, my how that viewpoint changes. At least be consistent don't be hypocritical.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I'm just going to say this. It's easy to say, "If you dont like it, look away" when you're the one doing something or holding a belief that may offend or bothers others, but as soon as those same people are on the other side of the equation, my how that viewpoint changes. At least be consistent don't be hypocritical.
I saw a guy with a plethora of disgusting tattoos on him not long ago.

I did the simple thing, and looked away.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I saw a guy with a plethora of disgusting tattoos on him not long ago.

I did the simple thing, and looked away.
These two scenarios fall under first amendment rights. Yes, people have guaranteed rights of free speech based on our constitution allowing themselves to express whatever and we can look away if we are offended. If a person wants to put a rebel flag on the front plate or on a bumper sticker, your analogies hold water, it is their right to put whatever they want on their personal vehicle that isn't part of the state regulated license plate.

But the difference in this plate issue is that the state of Georgia is producing and selling these plates. For the rebel flag (the battle flag, St. Andrews cross, name it what you will) to be emblazoned on state issued plates is an entirely different matter and not an apples to apples comparison with the arguments above.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
These two scenarios fall under first amendment rights. Yes, people have guaranteed rights of free speech based on our constitution allowing themselves to express whatever and we can look away if we are offended. If a person wants to put a rebel flag on the front plate or on a bumper sticker, your analogies hold water, it is their right to put whatever they want on their personal vehicle that isn't part of the state regulated license plate.

But the difference in this plate issue is that the state of Georgia is producing and selling these plates. For the rebel flag (the battle flag, St. Andrews cross, name it what you will) to be emblazoned on state issued plates is an entirely different matter and not an apples to apples comparison with the arguments above.
Granted for a Civil War reenactment group. Why don't we just stop cleaning cemeteries like the Confederate section at Arlington because the government sanctions it.

It's not exactly saying "we hate darkies!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia