Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 20,350 times

Advertisements

HI GA Forum, My family and I are thinking about moving. I have lived in CT all my life, but my husband think it is too expensive and nothing is happening for him. he thinks we need a new beginning and I think he is right.

Background: like I said I have lived in CT all my life, I was born in Jamaica but came to the USA when I was seven. I am 34yrs old and I have been married to my husband for 10yrs. I am an LPN who currently work as a pool nurse, pediatric home care and long term skilled facilities so I have some experience. I have checked and my pediatric job is located in about 4 major cities in GA so I know I will be able to transfer. My husband is a roofer and construction worker by experience but he would prefer a driving job or warehouse job which he is not able to get here in CT. He had a bad car accident in 2013 and he is not able to do lift more that 50lbs. We have 3 kids boy 13ys, girl 12yrs, boy 8yrs. I like my kids to be involve in activity. they all like swimming, my daughter competes in cheerleading ( they are actually the national POP warner winners of 2014) my younger boy likes football and basketball and my oldest hasn't figured out his liking yet other than video games. They are great kids. we also have 2 cars

what I am looking for: Our credit is not great so I am not looking to buy. I would like to rent. I don't like living in apartments so we are looking for duplex or a family home. I would like to be in an area that is friendly, low in crimes, inexpensive and have good schools for the kids.

I also wanted to know if your state pay road taxes, how is the cost of living. Any info as to what area would be best for my family would be greatly appreciated. this is my first time leaving CT and I have no idea where to start. Do you guys think I should contact a real estate agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewellfamily View Post
HI GA Forum, My family and I are thinking about moving. I have lived in CT all my life, but my husband think it is too expensive and nothing is happening for him. he thinks we need a new beginning and I think he is right.

Background: like I said I have lived in CT all my life, I was born in Jamaica but came to the USA when I was seven. I am 34yrs old and I have been married to my husband for 10yrs. I am an LPN who currently work as a pool nurse, pediatric home care and long term skilled facilities so I have some experience. I have checked and my pediatric job is located in about 4 major cities in GA so I know I will be able to transfer. My husband is a roofer and construction worker by experience but he would prefer a driving job or warehouse job which he is not able to get here in CT. He had a bad car accident in 2013 and he is not able to do lift more that 50lbs. We have 3 kids boy 13ys, girl 12yrs, boy 8yrs. I like my kids to be involve in activity. they all like swimming, my daughter competes in cheerleading ( they are actually the national POP warner winners of 2014) my younger boy likes football and basketball and my oldest hasn't figured out his liking yet other than video games. They are great kids. we also have 2 cars

what I am looking for: Our credit is not great so I am not looking to buy. I would like to rent. I don't like living in apartments so we are looking for duplex or a family home. I would like to be in an area that is friendly, low in crimes, inexpensive and have good schools for the kids.

I also wanted to know if your state pay road taxes, how is the cost of living. Any info as to what area would be best for my family would be greatly appreciated. this is my first time leaving CT and I have no idea where to start. Do you guys think I should contact a real estate agent?
One very important thing to take into consideration is where you and your husband will be working...

Where in Georgia will your jobs be located?

This is important because Georgia (most particularly the fast-growing and heavily populated area within about 40 miles or so of Atlanta) has some very major traffic issues which make living as close as one can to their jobs extremely important.

Another very important thing is to make sure at least one of you (if not both you and your husband) have been hired to well-paying jobs before moving to Georgia....This is because the job market in Georgia continues to struggle somewhat coming out of the very severe economic downturn of the late 2000's and early 2010's.

You will want to make sure that at least one of you (if not both of you) has a well-paying job lined up before moving to Georgia because you don't want to move to GA and not be able to find a job after moving to GA and end up exhausting whatever savings you may have because you can't find a job.

Basically find out where in Georgia you and/or your husband will be working and then look for an affordable place to live near where the both of you will be working.

You can come back to City Data.com after you find out where in Georgia you and/or your husband will be working and we will help you try and find a good place to live near where you will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: