Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 33,383 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a small town (600 residents) in Maine and can no longer take the long, snow filled, subzero winters. We have been looking into moving south to an area that is still in the mountains, has 4 seasons, but not constant snow. We spent some time in Asheville, NC area, and although beautiful, the prices are too high and it is too congested. I think it is sad that they build home on top of home on the side of every available mountain.

We originally started our search in N. Georgia and have come back around to it. We think that either Blue Ridge of Blairsville may be our final destination. The one thing that we keep hearing, and is making us doubt a possible move to that area, is that the local people are hostile towards outsiders. Most of the comments seem to be directed to Floridians, but lets face it, an outsider is an outsider.

When we moved to Maine we heard pretty much the same thing, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. The people here welcomed us with open arms and in no time we were considered "Mainers". We are hoping the same might be true of N. Georgia, and am hoping maybe some "outsiders" can tell us what their experience has been. And maybe some locals can let me know how you feel about Mainers!

Thanks for the help,
Lydia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,425 times
The people in North Georgia who are natives will be largely polite to you, but because you are not from their county, you may feel like an outsider. You will probably make friends with other "outsiders." This is the case for most any rural county in Georgia (or anywhere else).

Some of them do not like people from Atlanta. Nothing really unique to mention, just typical for most small towns set in their ways. Many in rural Georgia resent all the attention that Atlanta gets, but then for some other people, it doesn't matter. Each person is different and in north Georgia there are some people who retire there from elsewhere or have summer homes and work in the Atlanta area during the week. I think overall there is a good mix of people.

If you visit first, that might help your decision because there is way more to consider than that part, I believe.

Do you need to find work? Keep in mind, jobs are very scarce in north Georgia for most people to be quite blunt.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it when people don't beat around the bush. When we moved here we were actually accepted by the locals faster than those who were from away.

We have been there already and are going back again in 2 weeks. I think anyone you run into on vacation is going to be pretty nice to you. If they are in business, tourists are part of their bread and butter. If they are locals, they know you are on your way out of town soon so they tolerate you. Living there becomes a different matter.

As far as work goes we are lucky that it can travel with us. Or that could be a curse that you can never get away from it! Just kidding, I am thankful every day that we have jobs.

Thanks again for your insight.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
W moved to Dahlonega - not all that far brom Blue Ridge and Blairsville - in North Georgia about 12 years ago. Like any move, it takes awhile to settle in, and yes there were a few, "You're an outsider.", locals, but all in all, we have been welcomed and embraced. Best wishes.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
We moved to Blairsville 3 years ago. I'm originally from IL, hubby from KY, but yes... we had to make FL our legal residence for a while. Long story short, I've been "hit up" about being from Florida twice since we've been here. Once was a total stranger at the gas station, the other was a business person. The stranger I laughed at, and the business person no longer gets my business. Other than that.. I've not met a single person, local or not, that I haven't truly enjoyed meeting. Ironically, I've met more folks who have moved here and are not "local" than otherwise. The positives outweigh the negatives 10 to 1.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,753 times
I have to agree with Aus1 - the positives outweigh the negatives about living up here in the Blue Ridge ,Blairsville area. I have yet to encounter any locals who have been extemely negative to outsiders.I've always tried to go out of my way to be nice to them everywhere I go up here and that seems to work .Most of the time that works.
Be sure when you are looking at these areas to check out the areas along hwy 60 which extends from the Blue Ridge area in Fannin county on up in to Suches up in Union County .It is absolutely beautiful up in that area and you have easy access to both towns.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Both are beautiful areas. Have family is Blairsville. They absolutely love it.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I have to agree with Aus1 - the positives outweigh the negatives about living up here in the Blue Ridge ,Blairsville area. I have yet to encounter any locals who have been extemely negative to outsiders.I've always tried to go out of my way to be nice to them everywhere I go up here and that seems to work .Most of the time that works.
Be sure when you are looking at these areas to check out the areas along hwy 60 which extends from the Blue Ridge area in Fannin county on up in to Suches up in Union County .It is absolutely beautiful up in that area and you have easy access to both towns.
I think go falcons has hit the nail on the head. Treat people like you want to be treated. Being polite and learning the way people do things here goes a long, long way towards fitting in. I've got to admit, it took me longer than the country-born husband, but when you learn that the pace of life is slower, the simple pleasures are more what it is about, and that folks around here know what works best in these parts, I'm sure you'll learn to love it here. I am.....

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,462 times
The economy of Blairsville, along with most other North GA towns, could not survive without OUTSIDERS. If someone is grumpy, it is because of other things, not where you come from. Some will complain that the new Walmart there hurts small businesses in town. It also provides the only shopping in miles any direction so the locals go there too. The only thing to be concerned about is finding a physician who will take you on. That is my number one concern anymore when I consider relocation especially if you are on Medicare.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. When we moved here to Maine we came because we like the life style, not with the desire to change anything about the area. We have seen so many people come here from Massachusetts, Connectiut and New York that want to pave the roads, have street lights etc. We love this area just the way it is, with the exception of the fridgid winters. I think that is why we were accepted here. If we do move to the Blue Ridge area it will be because we love the way it is, not the way it could be.

As far as a laid back, country life style, there are only 600 people in our town, laid back is an understatement!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia