Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,388 times

Advertisements

Howdy all!
Is anyone out there familiar with the White Mountain area near Cleveland, Ga?
I own a small lot on White Mountain but have never seen it. It was handed down over the years from relatives and none of them have ever seen it either.
Can anyone tell me a little info about the mountain itself? Is it developed with roads and such? Is the mountain located in an area with nice views? Or is it just a large hump in the earth? I have always fantasized that there would be a bubbling brook on the property where I could some day build my retirement cabin.
I have researched the Cleveland area but have not been able to see any photos or specific info on the mountain itself.
If anyone is familiar or if they actually live on or near the mountain, I would really appreciate any information you could give!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jferth View Post
Howdy all!
Is anyone out there familiar with the White Mountain area near Cleveland, Ga?
I own a small lot on White Mountain but have never seen it. It was handed down over the years from relatives and none of them have ever seen it either.
Can anyone tell me a little info about the mountain itself? Is it developed with roads and such? Is the mountain located in an area with nice views? Or is it just a large hump in the earth? I have always fantasized that there would be a bubbling brook on the property where I could some day build my retirement cabin.
I have researched the Cleveland area but have not been able to see any photos or specific info on the mountain itself.
If anyone is familiar or if they actually live on or near the mountain, I would really appreciate any information you could give!
Thanks!
I worked in Cleveland for years, but can't recall seeing any "White Mtn.",
and can find no reference to it on the internet.

However, ANY land in that area is worth having. Think $$$$.
It's near the Chattahoochee Nation Forest and Appalachian Trail, lots of waterfalls, etc. Beautiful area, popular with Florida escapees.

I suggest you contact the tax collector's office in White County and ask for details (including a map) of the property. Let us know, somebody can get you a photo.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,195,710 times
Years ago, when I was about 19, me and some friends were in Helen for some reason and decided to take a little drive to White Mountain - I don't recall who's idea it was. If I recall, people like to camp on that mountain - in fact, I thought it was mostly state park, but could be wrong.

It was at night, and I do recall it being quite a long windy drive up the mountain, so yes, it is a real mountain. Let me preface this by saying when I was 19, I wasn't the sharpest tack around. We took a case of beer (bought it somewhre outside Atlanta on the way up to Helen) and went to the top of the mountain to "pound a few beers" and hang out with our girl friends. Well, I guess the police in White County knew that this was sort of a "teen-age" hang out, and so they patrolled that area, unknown to us. Back then, they took being a dry county pretty seriously (maybe they still do). I guess they saw that we weren't drunk and not hurting anything, so they just told us to get out of there. I handed the keys over to the guy who didn't have anything to drink, and that was a good thing. The police followed us all the way down that mountain, making sure that he didn't cross the median line once. Then he stopped us at the bottom of the mountain to give us another "once over", and told us that he was making sure the driver wasn't drunk and that he passed his "test".

Well, that's about all I know of White Mountain. Yes, it exists, I was there once, but I've never been back.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 15,530 times
Hello, I'm trying to locate a certain mountain road I took 30 years ago. I asked my aunt who is getting up in years and White mountain was the only thing she could think of.

I remember a road somewhere in the mountains of North Georgia where the highway hugged the side of the mountain and there was a place to pull over, get out an look. I believe it had a stone wall about 3 feet in height.

The area to park in was right next to the highway, paved and could handle 3 or 4 cars at least.

I can't remember where I was going to or from so any look out spots like this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia