Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalk8181 View Post
Well I know for a fact that I do not want to live in a "large city". So I know Atlanta is out of the picture. I guess for me, and my lady as well, we're just tired of the "fast life". My son is four years old, and I do know that a place like NYC is not good to raise children. I just came back from Centerville, GA visiting my sister and brother, and really did not want to come back. It was just good to be in a peaceful environment. I'm taking my girl and son back to GA in October, and plan to rent a car to drive to Savannah just to get a feel for it.
There's a big difference between being in Atlanta and being IN Atlanta. There are plenty of exurban places "in" Atlanta that are no where close to being like in a city. Especially NYC. Check out parts of Forsyth County, Cherokee County and eastern Gwinnett County. Borderline suburban/exurban but with some high quality schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'll second this. I live in Georgia and I hate it here. If it weren't for my husband's parents, we would be gone.

The racism and bigotry is ridiculous here, not to mention lack of decent education.

I live in Macon GA and work in Warner Robins, near to where you were visiting.

Well hell, even I know Macon isn't the spot to go to. My family is originally from Fort Valley, GA, but I know from experience that I won't be going there. Racism is everywhere you go to be honest. I guess you experience it more in the Southern States. We still have some time before we actually make that move, but we will be visiting to see. I appreciate your input.

Take care,

-E

Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 3,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
There's a big difference between being in Atlanta and being IN Atlanta. There are plenty of exurban places "in" Atlanta that are no where close to being like in a city. Especially NYC. Check out parts of Forsyth County, Cherokee County and eastern Gwinnett County. Borderline suburban/exurban but with some high quality schools.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely be looking into these places. We have until the end of next year to really decide. I appreciate the counties mentioned because from what I know, a lot of people from NYC are moving to ATL, and I really don't want to be around that type of attitude/population again.

Thanks,

-E

Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
As to the put downs of Meriwether (shame on you News!), please allow me weigh in.

As one who grew up in Meriwether County, I know it is not up to par with other areas in the state. Like many other rural counties, it did not handle integration of the public schools very well in the early 70s. Most of the white children of any means went to private schools except in Manchester which held its own for a couple of decades. The demise of the textile industry has since hurt that end of the county. My end of the county (northwestern corner) was able to cross county lines to Hogansville which had a separate city system at the time. I don't feel that my education in a small southern town held me back, I have a masters degree and believe that the education I received provided an excellent springboard to higher education.

Things have changed and no more crossing the county line. Most young families I know today have moved to Coweta or Troup Counties to access much better schools. It's a shame really. If the private schools were out of the picture and all in the county worked together and younger people stayed and the economy wasn't moribund, it could be a much better situation. But granted, that's a lot of ifs.

To the OP: If you have family in Warner Robins and know it to a degree, I would heartily recommend it to you. I can't think of a better district in central or south Georgia as far as schools and growth there outpaces most everything outside of Savannah, Augusta and Atlanta. The heavy military presence has brought in people from all over the country. I know many who thoroughly love it. I would start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia