Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 16,497 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred to Savannah from Maryland. Don't know the area at all. Can anyone recommend an area that is rural where we can get a nice home at a reasonable price with at least 5 acres of wooded land and preferably has a pond on it (stocked would be nice). Don't want to have too long of a commute. Also I am a school nurse and would like to continue in that line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2006, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,909 times
Default Check out Jesup

If you're willing to drive a little way you might consider Jesup. My husband and I moved to Georgia from California. We checked out a few different areas including closer to Savannah and ended up in Jesup. Homes here are not mass produced as they are in other areas which means that they are better constructed, as opposed to Brunswick. We have 3 acres, with a pond on the back end of our property in a nice sub division where all of the homes have 2-10 acres. We got more house for our money than we would have in the other areas we looked at. The people are friendly. The downfall would be that to shop at a mall or go to a well known restaurant you would have to go to Savannah. The plus side is it's so nice out here that it's worth it! My husband drives 45 miles each way to get to work in Brunswick, but when we are at home on our property, rocking in our chairs on the front porch, just listening to the sounds of nature and enjoying our own piece of earth we feel blessed.
I don't think you'd have a problem getting a job as a teacher, they seem to be looking for them all the time in this and surrounding areas.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 31,250 times
I would recommend Winder, GA - some of the best values in Georgia for real estate. Brand new home on 1.5 acres under $150k with all appliances included!! The largest mall in Georgia (The Mall of Georgia) is located on 15 miles away. This is located in Barrow county and this sleeply little town is like Mayberry!!

Last edited by Marka; 02-18-2006 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2006, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 16,497 times
Winder is just a TAD too far from Savannah

Old 06-15-2006, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 26,286 times
Jesup will be a great place to live. It's a small town but it will be great for kids and the school system will be a great place to work at there. I hope ya'll find a nice place to live...

Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times
Southern Bulloch County, Northern Effingham and Bryan Counties Are along I-16. How long is a reasonable commute and into which area of Savannah?
Bulloch County would be my choice. Statesboro is a University town and less rednecky. Effingham has traffic problems with Fantasy solutions.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times
I would also look at Hardeeville/Jasper County in SC

Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM

137 posts, read 739,458 times
Richmond Hill is a nice area that is really growing. It is in Bryan County. It has lots of rural homes and is close to Savannah. We looked there when we decided to move to Georgia. By the way, Savannah is a GREAT city.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,903 times
Default Moving to Madison or Watkinsville

Please help if any one knows what we should do. We are transfering from florida and know the schools are great in Watkinsville but don't know which would be a better town, Madison or Watkinsville.
We have high school and elementary kids.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgimom View Post
We are being transferred to Savannah from Maryland. Don't know the area at all. Can anyone recommend an area that is rural where we can get a nice home at a reasonable price with at least 5 acres of wooded land and preferably has a pond on it (stocked would be nice). Don't want to have too long of a commute. Also I am a school nurse and would like to continue in that line of work.
Don't know a whole lot about the area other than visiting several times, and having thought often about moving there. But like said before Jesup seems pretty nice, Richmond Hill is a nice area, also maybe consider Hinesville, it's a military town, people either love or hate it, but get away from the base a little bit and it's not that bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia