Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 AM

102 posts, read 375,404 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would give some information on my city if anyone may have some interest into relocating....just putting Willacoochee out there.

Willacoochee is an incorportated city and the fastest growing in the county according to 1990-2000 estimates. We have an elected mayor and city council members. It's a very safe and clean little town.

County:
Atkinson

Population:
1,500+

Public Safety:
Willacoochee Police Dept.
Willacoochee Volunteer Fire Dept.
Atkinson County Sheriff's Dept. (Pearson, GA)
Atkinson County EMS (Pearson, GA)

Schools:
Willacoochee Headstart & Pre-K
Willacoochee Elementary School (Enrollment 371) (GrdsK-7th)
Atkinson County High School (Pearson, GA) (Enrollment 500+) (Grds 8th-12th)

Public Services:
Willacoochee City Sewage & Water Dept.
SWMA (Garbage disposal)
Georgia Power (Electrical)
Plant Telephone
Mediacom (Cable/ Telephone)
Willacoochee Public Library
ATCO Senior Center

Stores / Gas:
Mickey's Grocery
ANI Package
*Hispanic store can't remember the name
Chevron (Adens Minit Market)
BP (Jet Foods)

Restaurants:
Sambos
Mary's Restaruant
Cafe 82

Bars:
No Name Bar
The Rolex

Bank:
The People's Bank

Industry:
Whittley USA
Willacoochee Ind. Fabrics
Fleetwood
Pro-Gro
PAC Unlimited
Steam Co
Langboard
TLC
L & M Bag
*Plus More

Recreation:
Willacoochee Kiddie Park
Willacoochee City Park (4 softball/baseball fields, tennis court, basketball court, open field for recreation)
Pioneer Park (1 softball/baseballfield, basketball court)

Other:
We also have other small businesses.

Major Highways:
GA HWY 135 N (Douglas Highway)
GA HWY 135 S (Lakeland Highway)
GA HWY 90 N (Ocilla Highway)
US HWY 82 / GA 520

Nearby Cities:
Douglas (North-20 mins)
Valdosta (South-45 mins)
Waycross (East-45 mins)
Tifton (West-30mins)

~If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 AM

57 posts, read 235,021 times
What part of GA is your town located and what is the major city closest to it?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Willacoochee is located in Extreme South Central Georgia, depending how you would look at it, it's 1-3 counties north of the Florida Border.

Small Metro Areas:
Valdosta -- South -- 45mins +/-
Albany -- West -- 1hr 30min +/-
Brunswick -- East -- 1hr 50 min +/-

Major Metro Areas:
Macon -- North -- 2hrs +/-
Jacksonville, FL -- Southeast -- 2hrs 15min +/-
Savannah -- Northeast -- 3hrs +/-

Other:
Waycross, Douglas, & Tifton are larger cities (but not metropolitan) that are closer.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 79,217 times
Are there homes for sale in Willacoochee? If so, price ranges?

Names of realtors in the area?

We just moved from Mass to Georgia and it looks like Willacoochee is that far of a commute for us. My husband works in Lakeland.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 AM

-There are a few homes on the market. I'm not sure exactly how many. The prices shouldn't be nothing near Atlanta or even Valdosta, nothing over $500,000 (for a prebuilt house). If you would be building your own home, I'm not saying that price don't exist. It would just depend on the land you buy and the house you build. There is, however, a new subdivision under the makes (you buy the land and build your house) with lots now available in town, not sure the price (the price is however much per acre), but there are lots on the river.
-People selling would more than likely use realtors in Douglas: Century 21, Remax mostly, and some other locally owned: .
-A commute from Willacoochee to Lakeland would be about a 20-25min drive. You would use GA HWY 135 S from here, which is a straight shot (no traffic lights or stop signs).

Old 08-15-2007, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 79,217 times
Default houses

Thanks.

We are hoping to find a pre-built home for sale in the area surrounding Lakeland. We don't want to buy something really pricey -- just something that is comfortable that we will like. We owned a 2100 square foot ranch with 2 acres in Mass in a small town similar to this...our population was 2500 -
no traffic lights in town at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Your welcome!
If you have any more and I can answer them, I would be happy to answer. I do know for sure there are atleast two houses in town that are for sale. Also outside of town in Unincorporated Lealiaton (You could think of it as our little "suburb"), there is a house for sale I believe. You may like Willacoochee, I guess if interested you could check it out.
We don't have a traffic light either or caution light at that.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Some more stuff if interested......

City Website: WILLACOOCHEE'

Thumbnail 1-Aerial
Thumbnail 2-General Location
Thumbnail 3- Willacoochee-Lakeland Route (For you theProals)
Attached Thumbnails
Willacoochee......For those looking for a small community-willacoochee-aerial.jpg   Willacoochee......For those looking for a small community-untitled.jpg   Willacoochee......For those looking for a small community-willacoochee-lakeland-route.bmp  

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,580 times
You could easily commute to Lakeland from Willacooche. Very easy drive although fog does get pretty treachrous all over the SE corner of GA. Many homes in the area are not listed with realtors because it is a very rural area and most home sales are advertised by word of mouth to people moving around within the same general area or have family moving in from outside of the state. My recommendation would be to talk to realtors out of Nashville in Berrin County location to the SW of Willacoochee. Most of the river district between Willacoochee and Lakeland is covered by them and would even know of homes not listed too. Homes similar to what you now have are going to start around 85K-95K and go up sharply based on condition(updates), & amount of land. Subdivisions in the area are certainly going to be closer to town and few exsist but having a home built is easily done and most of the contractors/builders there are highly recommendable, with good quaily craftsmanship and a home similar to yours depending on complexatity of interior would be complete in 3- 6 months. Rentals are cheap and easy to find if you want to take this route too. Many large acreage lots (5+) are available in the area.

A+ job Willacoochee but from my travels I would have to edit travel time to JAX to about 90 min any way you go to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theProals View Post
Thanks.

We are hoping to find a pre-built home for sale in the area surrounding Lakeland. We don't want to buy something really pricey -- just something that is comfortable that we will like. We owned a 2100 square foot ranch with 2 acres in Mass in a small town similar to this...our population was 2500 -
no traffic lights in town at all.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
You could easily commute to Lakeland from Willacooche. Very easy drive although fog does get pretty treachrous all over the SE corner of GA. Many homes in the area are not listed with realtors because it is a very rural area and most home sales are advertised by word of mouth to people moving around within the same general area or have family moving in from outside of the state. My recommendation would be to talk to realtors out of Nashville in Berrin County location to the SW of Willacoochee. Most of the river district between Willacoochee and Lakeland is covered by them and would even know of homes not listed too. Homes similar to what you now have are going to start around 85K-95K and go up sharply based on condition(updates), & amount of land. Subdivisions in the area are certainly going to be closer to town and few exsist but having a home built is easily done and most of the contractors/builders there are highly recommendable, with good quaily craftsmanship and a home similar to yours depending on complexatity of interior would be complete in 3- 6 months. Rentals are cheap and easy to find if you want to take this route too. Many large acreage lots (5+) are available in the area.

A+ job Willacoochee but from my travels I would have to edit travel time to JAX to about 90 min any way you go to get there.
Thank you! You are probably right about the 90min drive from Jacksonville to here, but I went and used MapQuest.Com: Maps, Directions and More because I wasn't exactly for sure. You have alot of knowledge of the area it seems....Did you live around this area or researched. You are right about the fog. This morning on the way to college the fog was just lifting thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia