Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 31,630 times

Advertisements

My family and I will eventually be relocating to the Georgia area. We are looking around the Carroll County area. I know nothing about the area and currently live in Florida. Another option would be around Canton. I would love to hear from people that live in Georgia and areas that are good for kids ages 13, 9, 6 and 2. My husband work's at Publix and I would be looking for something in the Probation/DUI field.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Well, I know nothing about opportunities in the field you work in, but Publix stores are everywhere in the area. Was there are specific reason you mention Carroll and Cherokee Counties? Canton is a little closer to the metro area, and Cherokee County is certainly growing. I don't know much about Carroll County, other than West Georgia College is located in Carrollton.

There are many areas that are "good for kids", but I think some of the determining factors will be the budget you have for a home, the type of area (urban, suburban, rural) that you'd like to live in, and where the job opportunities in your field are located.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
My husband works in Carroll county. I too would be interested in why you have chosen the two counties your looking into. I don't know anything about the other county but I did do a little research on some towns in Carroll county when we were looking to relocate. One thing that I will say is that you really need to look carefully at the schools you children would be attending. There is quite a range in test scores in Carroll county, unless of course you are going to be homeschooling or going the private route. Carrollton seems like a really nice place. There is plenty of shopping available to you. Route 20 isn't far whether you wanted to go into Atlanta or Alabama (although I don't think a daily commute into Atlanta from there would be advisable). The houses seem to be reasonably priced and there is plenty of land available. Since we have been here (we live next door in Coweta County) I haven't heard any reports of major crimes in Carroll county.

I'm not sure if you are only looking at these counties but I can tell you that we love Newnan (as do our children) and we had also looked at Bremen (above Carroll county) which was a close second for us.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Default Why the move

Honestly, my x husband had idea's of moving my children without me and that didn't end in his favor. I agreed to move in a few years by the time my daughter was in the 9th grade (august 2010). My sister in law lives in Canton, and my family lives in Ohio and Pa so there is only our jobs here. My x thougth it would be better for the kids in the long run because of rising property taxes and cost of living here in Florida. I know nothing of Georgia, only been through it a few times. My x was looking at Carrollton because of the college, but he is also considering other locations. With 4 children I don't have the time to drive 8 hours to look around. Who better to ask than people who live in the areas we are considering. Perhaps open our eyes to other options as well.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
I'm new to Georgia as well so I can only tell you about my little neck of the woods. The University of West Georgia is only about a half an hour from Newnan. We really do love Newnan, I would suggest looking into Newnan and Coweta County as well. Our relocation was a really big move for us as my husband and I had grown in CT and lived there all of our lives. We have found that Newnan is a huge melting pot of people from all over the country. There also quite a few people whose family have lived here for generations. Some of the schools are fantastic and there seems to be a lot of recreational activities for the kids. I85 runs through Newnan so you have a direct route into Atlanta which is about a 35 minute drive (without traffic).

I will agree that this forum is a great place to find valuable information. It was very beneficial to us when we were starting our relocation. We knew very littel about GA and after posting here gained tons of knowledge about the GA.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:29 AM

6 posts, read 29,342 times
What area? I'm from Augusta, GA.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Newnan does sound like a possibility, and I have been fowarding all the information I have been getting to my x who will be coming up to look around next week. It seems alot of people are flocking to Georgia and North Carolina these days, but there are so many people stuck in the houses here, or having to deal with foreclosure. Luckily I have some time to sell my house. Thank so much for the information, I will gladly take some more comments from anyone who has any to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia