Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Thomasville, Milledgeville, and Helen should be on the list.
Madison [as noted above], Washington, and Americus should also be candidates for that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 880,131 times
It's stupid to even make lists like this. They are inherently subjective and the qualifiers are all over the place.

Augusta is the home of the Masters and gets over a quarter million visitors one week every year, that's hardly underrated.

Athens plays host to 6 Georgia home games every fall, that alone nears a million visitors a year.

If Helen is an underrated city to visit, than Walmart is an underrated store to shop at. The entire town's existence depends on tourism.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Madison [as noted above], Washington, and Americus should also be candidates for that list.
Madison I would not consider 'underrated'. No town fetching $2-3M for local homes should be.
Washington perhaps, Americus definitely.

Some other towns in Georgia that exude a quiet charm but are off the radar of most folks:

Darien
Brunswick
Waynesboro
Moultrie
Dublin
Toccoa
LaGrange
Waycross
Thomaston

Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Madison I would not consider 'underrated'. No town fetching $2-3M for local homes should be.
Washington perhaps, Americus definitely.
I grew up near Americus, and it was the "go to" place to do our shopping. Americus has some really pretty victorian homes, a quaint downtown with new restaurants shops and watering holes, and, of course, the fantastic Windsor Hotel.

The Best Western Plus Windsor Hotel

About ten miles west of Americus is Plains, Georgia, home of President Jimmy Carter. Some pretty neat things to see there.

About ten or fifteen miles north of Americus is Andersonville, Georgia, where Anderson National Cemetery is located. The Cemetery, which served as a Confederate prison during the Civil War, was the home to thousands of Union prisoners. It has a very interesting history.

https://www.nps.gov/ande/index.htm
https://www.history.com/topics/ameri.../andersonville

Americus would also serve as a good base for heading over to Lumpkin County and exploring Providence Canyon, colloquially known as the Little Grand Canyon.

https://gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon/

Americus is surrounded by beautiful woodlands and bucolic farms and has a pretty rich history.

There is truly a lot to see and experience in the rural parts of our beautiful state.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,402 times
I agree with Americus.. I would also put Thomasville on the list.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I agree with Americus.. I would also put Thomasville on the list.
I would have, but again, not underrated IMO. It's a gem, and widely acknowledged to be so by people in the region.

https://thomasvillega.com

Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM

yeah but I believe it is underrated as a tourist stop. Sure we all know Savannah, Atlanta, Helen for tourism in the state.. and places like Jekyl Island and Sea Island and I think Athens is already well known for UGA and Bulldogs football. and whereas Thomasville may be very well known in SW Georgia, I am not sure it gets as much attention in the rest of the state or South east in general. That's what I mean about underrated. Madison is fairly well known in its corner of Georgia but not so sure about the rest of the state or southeast. I mean you go outside of GA and probably not many people have heard of Madison.. same for Americus and Thomasville. These are all unique small towns with unique history, architecture and vibrant downtowns. I think if Augusta is on this list than certainly Columbus and Macon should be.. none are really known much as tourist detinations. Sure Augusta has The Masters but besides that the city is not really considered a draw for tourists.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
yeah but I believe it is underrated as a tourist stop. Sure we all know Savannah, Atlanta, Helen for tourism in the state.. and places like Jekyl Island and Sea Island and I think Athens is already well known for UGA and Bulldogs football. and whereas Thomasville may be very well known in SW Georgia, I am not sure it gets as much attention in the rest of the state or South east in general. That's what I mean about underrated. Madison is fairly well known in its corner of Georgia but not so sure about the rest of the state or southeast. I mean you go outside of GA and probably not many people have heard of Madison.. same for Americus and Thomasville. These are all unique small towns with unique history, architecture and vibrant downtowns. I think if Augusta is on this list than certainly Columbus and Macon should be.. none are really known much as tourist detinations. Sure Augusta has The Masters but besides that the city is not really considered a draw for tourists.
That's a fair assessment, AUG.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,072 times
Macon!!!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Macon!!!
I agree. I would say all of the second tier fall line cities are underrated for the most part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia