Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times

Advertisements

I think the hours and effort they put into coaching football justifies a $100k + salary. I actually feel like they are probably underpaid. I just wish we could afford to pay all of our top teachers six figure salaries.

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...3-117fd68b7c93
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I think the hours and effort they put into coaching football justifies a $100k + salary. I actually feel like they are probably underpaid. I just wish we could afford to pay all of our top teachers six figure salaries.

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...3-117fd68b7c93
Priorities.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
I kid you not, without knowing about this article, I googled this question out of sheer curiosity about 2 hours ago and ending up reading the same thing you posted. In MN where I'm from (and football is not as much of a religion), coaches are all teachers, and they are simply paid a paltry stipend on top of there base pay.

But I agree with you, it's a lot of pressure, they are probably underpaid given their work ethic and influence.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I know a lot of people think it's a sham that these coaches are earning way more than teachers, but football programs (here at least) generate a lot of revenue that can even help out other athletics programs. My sister used to play on the HS soccer team and my mom would complain about how little support they got compared to football. Then my dad would remind her that the mens and womens soccer games would generate very little income and almost always cost more money than they generate. Having several thousand attend football games helps when you might get only several hundred attending.

Same thing at the college level. Big name teams can generate millions per year in ticket sales which is part of what helps pay those huge salaries. I love education, but the only ones paying to attend lectures are students with their tuition. No one is paying to attend them for fun. But host a football game and a college like Texas A&M can put over 100,000 people in the stands paying just to watch the game. Then throw in contributions for donors, and you have a large portion of revenue to cover salaries and other expenses.

It's of course a little more complicated than that, but I see the reasoning. It'd be different if these coaches were being paid 6 figures just to coach a football team playing in front of 100 people.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
What struck me is the coaches that get paid the most are typically in the more rural areas... where it costs next to nothing to live.

$141,870 at Colquitt High school in Moultrie gets you a lot further than $141,870 at Grady High school in midtown -- where it would still be a more than decent salary.

Quote:
Same thing at the college level. Big name teams can generate millions per year in ticket sales which is part of what helps pay those huge salaries.
Ok, sure, that's true at the college level. But how much money do you think football programs at the high school level are generating? Not enough to pay for that stadium even, that's courtesy of the taxpayers.

Anyway, I can't really comment because I don't know how the coaches are structured. If they are full teachers with real degrees and coach as an add-on second job, then I can see boosting their salaries to help cover it. All I know is where I went to school, some of the coaches might be teachers who are just coaching to help out. But the real head coaches of football, basketball and baseball do not teach at all. If they do, they have maybe one BS driver's ed or health class. In those cases, these salaries are ludicrous.

But whatever. You can't change it. We live in a society where we'd rather pay people to give our kids concussions than educate them, and that's just the way it is.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Ok, sure, that's true at the college level. But how much money do you think football programs at the high school level are generating? Not enough to pay for that stadium even, that's courtesy of the taxpayers.
Here's one source I read from Virginia. Here's another from Mississippi. Tens of thousands of dollars can be made in a single game. Throw in booster clubs and that can add up. Obviously not as large scale as CFB, but the expenses are much smaller too.

The stadium is a cost, but look at a school like Brookwood, it's largely been untouched for decades now. I'm sure the initial construction cost has been paid off. Other than that, all they've done is add more bathrooms and concessions stands. Plus the stadium has been used for other sports, not just for games, but also many use the stairs or track for training. Even the PE classes use the track. I don't know if they still allow it, but on weekends the public could come and use the track for exercise so there's a community benefit. We even had our graduation in the stadium (instead of the Arena like many others). Every square foot of that stadium complex was being used, I've never seen it so full before. The stadium was definitely built out for football, but it has more uses.

Brookwood's head coach also teaches social studies. I think it's always been that way. Though I thought I heard maybe the AD was a full time position, but it's not just football to worry about.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
In my opinion, the problem is not with the coaches' pay, it is with the teachers' pay.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:03 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Priorities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
In my opinion, the problem is not with the coaches' pay, it is with the teachers' pay.

Just what we need. LOL. I heard this story about this teacher who got into trouble for rightfully failing a football student (a test). The football student complained to his father who then complained to the principal; the principal made the teacher apologize to the student after the student threatened the teacher and called her a swear word. She obviously had to give him a passing grade. I'm pretty sure this kind of story is common and is a disgrace to education. HUGE conflict of interest and sends the wrong message to students and to society in general regarding the treatment of education/teachers in the field.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:25 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What struck me is the coaches that get paid the most are typically in the more rural areas... where it costs next to nothing to live.

$141,870 at Colquitt High school in Moultrie gets you a lot further than $141,870 at Grady High school in midtown -- where it would still be a more than decent salary.

Anyway, I can't really comment because I don't know how the coaches are structured. If they are full teachers with real degrees and coach as an add-on second job, then I can see boosting their salaries to help cover it. All I know is where I went to school, some of the coaches might be teachers who are just coaching to help out. But the real head coaches of football, basketball and baseball do not teach at all. If they do, they have maybe one BS driver's ed or health class. In those cases, these salaries are ludicrous.

But whatever. You can't change it. We live in a society where we'd rather pay people to give our kids concussions than educate them, and that's just the way it is.
Well he's not getting it anymore. He got fired from Colquitt County. Apparently the big thing was pills, but there was a whole list of complaints. His behavior after a couple of losses was part of it (of course, the refs must hate him because they stole the last two championship games from the Moultrie kids-maybe they would prefer to lose it on the field).

But football may well pay for itself in Moultrie. They bring 20-25k to the Georgia Dome when they get to the finals.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well he's not getting it anymore. He got fired from Colquitt County. Apparently the big thing was pills, but there was a whole list of complaints. His behavior after a couple of losses was part of it (of course, the refs must hate him because they stole the last two championship games from the Moultrie kids-maybe they would prefer to lose it on the field).

But football may well pay for itself in Moultrie. They bring 20-25k to the Georgia Dome when they get to the finals.
I just saw the story about Propst in the news. He wins wherever he goes, but always seems to have personal issues.

Also, sounds like one trip to the dome, covers his salary for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: