Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

This one would hurt much more than the Netflix boycott, as Pinewood Studios exists largely for the production of Marvel films.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...r-abortion-law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 03:07 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
California bill would give tax breaks to productions that move out of Georgia over the heartbeat bill

California Bill Would Give Tax Breaks to Movies, Shows That Leave Georgia Over Abortion Ban

Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
I'm frustrated that so few companies are actually devising a plan to fight this. They'd rather "monitor the situation." How useless and how privileged. It's what the Kempsters wanted. I would have never said this but what Peale is doing makes the most sense to me for businesses that claim to value their female employees. You can move your studios out of the state but you'll be pressed to find another cheaper one since this bill is popping up everywhere.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:59 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
The industry response in Georgia is apparently to stick their heads in the sand, and the GFO think that the attractive package they have created to lure Hollywood here will eventually trump any concerns over this law.

I tend to disagree. We are living in an age of ideologues and political polarization, and I do not believe that the film and TV industry will back down on this regardless of the cost.

Check out the 'related articles' in the link to the Disney article in case you doubt this; things are 'Going South' quickly:

https://www.11alive.com/article/ente...1-c5723e0de7bf

Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Interestingly this story has now been picked up worldwide.
Given that London is a huge center of the film industry, it's relevant to see the take the BBC is posting on their news site.

This is a reminder to us that political actions do not exist in a vacuum & that they can have consequences to business.
Supposedly political Georgia had showed that is knew this during the deal administration. But, apparently not...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48457401

Last edited by atler8; 05-30-2019 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: eliminated gaps between lines

Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Way to go Georgia Republicans..

Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Interestingly this story has now been picked up worldwide.
Given that London is a huge center of the film industry, it's relevant to see the take the BBC is posting on their news site.

This is a reminder to us that political actions do not exist in a vacuum & that they can have consequences to business.
Supposedly political Georgia had showed that is knew this during the deal administration. But, apparently not...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48457401
Somewhere some right wing republican in rural Georgia is sitting in his trailer saying "good we don't need no dang liberal Hollywood Obama agendas coming in this state trying to change us anyway. I'm glad they are leaving"

Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Somewhere some right wing republican in rural Georgia is sitting in his trailer saying "good we don't need no dang liberal Hollywood Obama agendas coming in this state trying to change us anyway. I'm glad they are leaving"
Only one?

Old 05-30-2019, 08:20 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
I sure miss Governor Deal. He would have found a way to appease his base without permanently wrecking Georgia’s economy. ☹️

Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I'm frustrated that so few companies are actually devising a plan to fight this. They'd rather "monitor the situation." How useless and how privileged. It's what the Kempsters wanted. I would have never said this but what Peale is doing makes the most sense to me for businesses that claim to value their female employees. You can move your studios out of the state but you'll be pressed to find another cheaper one since this bill is popping up everywhere.
They could literally move right next door to SC in the Charlotte burbs. Which would be cheaper. And S.C. always rejects these bills because they put business and the economy first. Did the same thing when a senator suggested they make a HB2 type bill. Majority of legislators and Nikki Haley both shut it down fast. Saying it’s unnecessary. And while S.C. does have a fetal heartbeat bill, I give it little chance of passing. Bureaucracy tends to win there instead of legislation. And lately, SC has been capitalizing on other states “failures” (for lack of a better word).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia