Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 06:43 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
Just to add a NYC perspective...
We went through 3 months of near-total isolation. Went out once a week (on average) for groceries or necessities. Wearing a mask became the norm. We learned from Wuhan, Italy, Spain and Korea what was coming. But ignorance clearly won out.

My building in Manhattan is like a mini-United Nations. There were always some idiots who flunked biology. A few believe in home remedies akin to a witches brew, a black neighbor who said blacks were immune to the virus so they don't need masks, a hispanic neighbor (man) who thought he was a "real" man and only &%$# wear masks. And more than a few whites who insist their liberty was being infringed upon. It's biology, not politics. The virus doesn't care if you're red or blue.

All these idiots should be stopped, names taken and denied medical care when they fall ill. Their selfishness imperils us all. Moron's who get off of the elevator having not worn a mask so we have to step into the compartment and in-hail their aerosolized droplets.

After three months, we now have the lowest infection rates in the nation. It was a sacrifice for millions of us and sure enough, those who don't believe in science or too selfish to look out for others, will come to NY and the infection will inevitably rise.

Until the USA gets its act together and acting in unison to resolve this, the deaths will continue to mount and the world will see just how stupid Americans are. I wear a mask to protect YOU. You wear a mask to protect US. Simple but a nation chock full of narcissists can't seem to handle this. If only we could come together like Americans did in WW2, we'd beat this thing and be the envy of the planet. Instead we look grossly incompetent to want to lead the world.

Wear. A. Mask.
Ironically enough.... my friend is a paramedic in one of the tourist areas of Eastern Tennessee. She went out on a call the week before the fourth. A family who decided they were not too "sick" to go ahead and do their vacation. Lady falls, calls 911, tests positive for COVID when they get her to hospital for her broken bone. Yep..... the whole family.....from New York. So who needs to quarantine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 07:45 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’m sure KLB will be right on that for Atlanta.
To be honest I think they should restrict Floridians from coming across the state line with their 10K+ daily cases. They could easily infect Georgians as well.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:34 PM

88 posts, read 79,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
I'll give you some free advice. If this is how you think and speak to others, do no relocate here. Period. You will not fit in and no one will like you.

No one....NO ONE...wants or needs a "NY perspective".
oh my! A thousand pardons if my bluntness offended you. I'll try to be more dainty in the future.

Having 22,000+ residents on my city die horrible deaths from Covid, I felt my comment was worth expressing and sharing if the reality motivated someone to act responsibly.

Apparently I touched a button and it's ok that we have a difference of opinion. You're entitled. Still I hope you'll wear a mask and wash your hands so you don't drown in your own fluids. Or end up in a mass grave like what happened to so many here. Either way, once on a ventilator it won't be pretty. But you probably know all that too.

I thank you for the free advice and hope you'll stay healthy.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:15 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
Just to add a NYC perspective...
We went through 3 months of near-total isolation. Went out once a week (on average) for groceries or necessities. Wearing a mask became the norm. We learned from Wuhan, Italy, Spain and Korea what was coming. But ignorance clearly won out.

My building in Manhattan is like a mini-United Nations. There were always some idiots who flunked biology. A few believe in home remedies akin to a witches brew, a black neighbor who said blacks were immune to the virus so they don't need masks, a hispanic neighbor (man) who thought he was a "real" man and only &%$# wear masks. And more than a few whites who insist their liberty was being infringed upon. It's biology, not politics. The virus doesn't care if you're red or blue.

All these idiots should be stopped, names taken and denied medical care when they fall ill. Their selfishness imperils us all. Moron's who get off of the elevator having not worn a mask so we have to step into the compartment and in-hail their aerosolized droplets.

After three months, we now have the lowest infection rates in the nation. It was a sacrifice for millions of us and sure enough, those who don't believe in science or too selfish to look out for others, will come to NY and the infection will inevitably rise.

Until the USA gets its act together and acting in unison to resolve this, the deaths will continue to mount and the world will see just how stupid Americans are. I wear a mask to protect YOU. You wear a mask to protect US. Simple but a nation chock full of narcissists can't seem to handle this. If only we could come together like Americans did in WW2, we'd beat this thing and be the envy of the planet. Instead we look grossly incompetent to want to lead the world.

Wear. A. Mask.
We as a nation are setting a pretty bad example as per how to handle a pandemic. There are a few outlier states and metro's as well as localities (NYC is doing good for what they have to work with IMO - they're a much denser metro and its alot harder to contain a pandemic there) but as a whole this country is doing pretty terrible at it. I have friends in Finland who are absolutely shocked by how high our cases have run and how little our administration is doing about it. They are considering refusing travel from the United States due to some travelers coming there full well knowing they were infected and chose to go anyway and infected others causing their cases to increase. This to me is inexcusable for a first world nation.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times
Quote:
I'll give you some free advice. If this is how you think and speak to others, do no relocate here. Period. You will not fit in and no one will like you.

Speak for yourself.

ReadyForWhatsNext: Thank you for your post. It's a great reminder of social responsibility, and, when people fail to meet those expectations, their entitlements should definitely be rescinded. Let the 14-day quarantines continue! Similarly, when I read your post I thought of that image going viral in some European country–a business had out on its chalk sign "All Americans must be accompanied by an adult," before entering a store. Only some would be offended by that.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
We as a nation are setting a pretty bad example as per how to handle a pandemic. There are a few outlier states and metro's as well as localities (NYC is doing good for what they have to work with IMO - they're a much denser metro and its alot harder to contain a pandemic there) but as a whole this country is doing pretty terrible at it. I have friends in Finland who are absolutely shocked by how high our cases have run and how little our administration is doing about it. They are considering refusing travel from the United States due to some travelers coming there full well knowing they were infected and chose to go anyway and infected others causing their cases to increase. This to me is inexcusable for a first world nation.
But people are still quick to say "If you don't like Am'rrka you can geeeeeet out!" even though they can't leave now even if they wanted to. It's usually the same people who refuse to wear a mask, still think Trump is doing a great job as president, and think America is doing the best job at handling the pandemic that say that. Japan is doing great and I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Quote:

New York Governor Offers to Help Atlanta with Covid-19.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Exclamation sasie 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have to put my two cents here: I am not Republican nor a Democrat. I vote for the best man or woman.....It is nice to be Independent .

The Governor of New York City, Mario Cuomo, has been every single day, on television LIVE, sometimes over an hour, explaining to us how to care for ourselves, and families, so that we do not get it........since the beginning of the pandemic. No other Governor has done anything close to that......

The MTA, Long Island Trains, Grand Central Station, and every public place has been clean top to bottom, EVERY SINGLE DAY........at the beginning, some of the poor people were resistant to wear masks, he made sure there were plenty of them for free.........food..........was given to anyone who needed it......along with free hospital care......this gentleman, has kept his cool all along the pandemic, at the same time, that NYC has been dealing with BLM, and all the terrorist groups destroying and looting this City. He has earned the respect of MOST NEW YORKERS, and even though, he does not always agree with the way the Mayor is running the City, he has not shown his anger in any way.......and has never put him down in publicly......he has given 200% of himself, and for that many, many people admire him........

AND BY THE WAY, BLM is still trying to destroy this City, with multitude of marauders roaming the streets and avenues.... acting up, their aim is to OCCUPY WALL STREET, which is also the name of one of the terrorist groups.......but they are in for a long, long, long fight.......

Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Atlanta proper would actually do pretty well against Covid-19 had it not been barred down so heavily by Kemp.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Ironically enough.... my friend is a paramedic in one of the tourist areas of Eastern Tennessee. She went out on a call the week before the fourth. A family who decided they were not too "sick" to go ahead and do their vacation. Lady falls, calls 911, tests positive for COVID when they get her to hospital for her broken bone. Yep..... the whole family.....from New York. So who needs to quarantine?
We all do/did.

I think in his response he pretty much laid NYC had their fair share of problems too. Read about his experience with the various people in his own building. I don't believe there is any reason for such defensiveness, rather we should learn from them as they initially had a problem far worse than we did, they stumbled, they had their share of problems, and they found a path to a more stable place... although they will have to stay busy to catch new cases to continue opening.

Nonetheless, he is right. They shut down for about 3 months and got their new case numbers extremely low, relative to population.

We shut down for about half that time and had good starting success at lowering our case numbers, but we stopped when we weren't even half way and sure it enough it started going right back up steeply.

We threw away our investment when we were half way there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia