Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 02:17 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Let's just say hypothetically that Civil War II broke out and resulted in each state becoming its own country. What do you think Georgia will be like? Will it be prosperous or more 3rd world like? I just hope we'd have someone other than Kemp as our governor or president or whatever he would be called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 02:21 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Well, there’s already a country named Georgia so we would have to pick a different one.

As far as our economy, it would not likely be as good as now. We would have to create a currency, an army and other things currently addressed by DC.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:07 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Well, there’s already a country named Georgia so we would have to pick a different one.

As far as our economy, it would not likely be as good as now. We would have to create a currency, an army and other things currently addressed by DC.
As long as it's not named after Kemp, lol. Georgia was named after King George. I think the new name should be after a notable Georgian, and I'm thinking Carter after Jimmy Carter. As for things like currency and military, we could have something like the European Union and NATO.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Jimmy Carter? The worst president in history who was a good ex-president?

I worked through the Jimmy Carter Voo Doo Economic years in the finance world, and it was not pretty. So no Carter name.

How about naming it Campbell--aka Bill Campbell, Atlanta's fine mayor?

Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
There's no trademark on country names. No reason it couldn't still be called Georgia. There are after all two countries called Congo.

I think Georgia would be just fine, as would most states. It has a good port and good resources.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
It never would have happened, but if it did it would suck royally. Delta despite its logistical advantages would have a much harder time establishing Atlanta as a hub due to national conflicts of interest, that alone would have economically hendered large sections of Atlanta’s growth. Georgia wouldn’t recieve federal money so you can say Good Bye I-75, I-85, I-20, I-285 and hello Toll Roads. Fuel prices would like be more expensive, as would deliveries of any sort as they would need to pass through customs. Many of the operations that are conducted in Atlanta would have never existed and it’s metro would probably be cut down to half its size with Charlotte ultimately replacing it. Savannah would also not be as strong of a port as it currently is either.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Jimmy Carter? The worst president in history who was a good ex-president?

I worked through the Jimmy Carter Voo Doo Economic years in the finance world, and it was not pretty. So no Carter name.

How about naming it Campbell--aka Bill Campbell, Atlanta's fine mayor?
This One?
Tax Evasion Conviction[edit]
In August 2004 Campbell retained high-profile attorney Billy Martin to defend him against several indictments by a federal grand jury on racketeering, bribery, and wire fraud. The charges came from a five-year federal investigation into possible corruption during his time as Mayor of Atlanta. Campbell was later acquitted on all charges relating to the indictments; although on March 10, 2006, a federal jury convicted him on three counts of tax evasion. He was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Richard Story to 30 months in prison for the three counts on tax evasion. He was also ordered to serve a year on probation, pay $6,000, and pay more than $60,000 in back taxes. On August 21, 2006 he reported to the Federal Correctional Institution in Miami, Florida.[12]

Old 07-12-2020, 04:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Campbell was obviously a trolling suggestion, not seriously proposed.

And in this hypothetical scenario, Georgia will be worse than Third World, it'd be Stone Age, a real Mad Max situation.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:03 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Hypothetical history belongs in a different forum.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:59 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
There's no trademark on country names. No reason it couldn't still be called Georgia. There are after all two countries called Congo.

I think Georgia would be just fine, as would most states. It has a good port and good resources.
Actually one is Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the other Republic of the Congo.

Maybe we name it American Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia