Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:47 PM

15 posts, read 100,904 times

Advertisements

I was born in Atlanta and raised in Cobb County. Now I live in Newnan, GA. Both sides of my family have been in GA since the 1600s. Things have changed so much that I can't wait to get out of here. Here's my point...my family is moving to Wisconsin as soon as we sell our house. It's a gorgeous log house. Anybody ready to move in now???

I can't believe what's happened to our lovely Southern culture...it's the saddest thing.

Signed,
The Original GA Peach...now sadder and wiser.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 24,827 times
Default Ready to Leave...

Hi,I just read your post, i also used to live in Georgia, granted i wasnt born there, but i had the best times of my life there. That was back in 1987, has things really gotten that bad? Back then it was such a great place to live, there was so much to see and do. I was 18 and lived around allatoona lake and everyday after work, my cousin and i would walk to the lake and swim and lay by the water, it was so much fun.I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving, what part of Cobb did you live in? I also lived im Marietta and Kennesaw too. Smurfette 36...

Old 05-22-2006, 08:51 PM

11 posts, read 52,186 times
I am originally from Southern Wisconsin. Although we are leaving Florida, for Georgia. I am longing to go back home to Wisconsin. I have heard so many negative things about Georgia....black suburbs....white suburbs crime... traffic... live here not there etc.... that I am having second thoughts.

I truly miss Wisconsin after living in Florida for 12 years. Florida is beautiful...there is crime... but not all the negative things that the current Georgians are saying about there State. (not directed towards you... this comes from other postings)

Why are you truly leaving?????

Old 05-23-2006, 06:17 AM

22 posts, read 84,832 times
I am currently residing in Southeastern Wisconsin. I will say that I plan to get the heck out of WI. The taxes are extremely higher. The quality of life is not what is was in years past. The crime has increased. The school system is among some of the worst in the country. The city is hyper segregated! The unemployment rate is higher than the national average and jobs are diminishing here like crazy.. Most of my friends have all either moved to other states. The only people that can afford to live in Wisconsin is Illinois transplants. Illinois residents are buying all the real estate these days in Wisconsin. Everything from Northern Wisconsin to Southeastern WI. I hear it is more racially mixed in the northern areas than in the central areas of Milwaukee.

There is huge hispanic, hmong population in North Wisconsin. I was recently appraised and my home value was appraised by $24K!!!! Last year it was $19K!!! The assessments are increased and taxes are based on assessed values. Wisconsin is a tax h*ll right now! The county of Milwaukee is considering selling the Mitchell International Airport because the county has no money!!! There are signs all over milwaukee that read "got jobs? Bring them to Milwaukee" I am not kidding you! There are other parts of the state that is in much worse shape.

Last edited by jammocaz; 05-23-2006 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 PM

Default It's like this...

We're looking specifically at Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. BTW, what can y'all tell me about that area?

We visited there last fall and were extremely impressed. Just for starters, people actually seem to know how to drive and, for that matter, how to cross a parking lot. We didn't feel like we had a big, 'ol target on our car like we do in...oh, pick any part of Metro Atlanta. And the store employees? They seemed to know what it meant to be helpful! Even the Wal Mart I visited...customer service...what a concept! Used to be the norm around here...not anymore.

What's different, Smurfette? Well, take your pick...arrogance, rudeness, laziness, entitlement issues, not being able to walk around the block without fears of either being run off the road by speeding drivers (even in the subdivisions) or being attacked. Yes, I would agree with you...in 1987 I could not imagine even wanting to live anywhere else. I grew up in the Austell/Mableton area. My kids started elementary school at the same school I went to...even had some of the same dedicated, wonderful teachers! I thought I was set for life. Even five years ago, I felt the same way. Somehow, life has changed here...and it has become unbearable for many of us natives.

Flmom, did I answer your question, too? You're right to have second thoughts. I would urge you not to move to GA if at all possible. If you do, stay far, far away from Metro Atlanta. Which, by the way, in about 20 years, they estimate stretching to Chattanooga on the north, SC on the east, Macon on the south and the the AL border on the west (which it already does...Carroll Co. is part of Metro ATL and touches AL). Pretty much rules out all of the northern half of GA. And, if you do end up moving here, for Heaven's sake, home-school your kids!!! The public school system is not even an option anymore! And that is not just my opinion.

Jammocaz, I would not blame you either for wanting to get out of SE WI. It looks like it could be another Atlanta in the making. I'm really hoping not, because of the way Atlanta has affected the entire state. My sincere hope is that mid-western sensibilities will ultimately rule. I guess Iowa is always an option if you don't mind the terrain!

I hate to sound so negative (well, I guess I feel that way, too) but that's just the way this area has gone. I'm definitely not alone in my feelings. The funny thing is, we are getting tons of new neighbors from the NE and they all think it's just wonderful here. We have neighbors from NJ who moved here about five years ago for the acerage, the much lower cost of living (at the time...that's changing, too) the 'slower' pace (has also changed), etc. Now my neighbor is just dying for a major grocery store to go up two miles away so she won't have to drive the 8 miles to the nearest one. See the problem?

Still, all things considered, proud to be the
Original GA Peach

Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,553,309 times
This is sorta why I started a thread asking folk for their honest opinions on Atlanta metro. Instead of having the courage and maturity to be straight and speak freely and plainly, you're hiding behind euphamisms and code words.

Why be "PC"? Just say it (but be prepared, not just to back it up with facts, but to receive a factual rebuttal to every point you make).

Old 05-23-2006, 01:15 PM

Question Meaning?

I'm sorry, backfist...and, before you ask, yes, I am blonde...were you referring to my post or another? I really don't try to hide behind PC talk, so I hope I didn't sound vague. If I did, I'll try to do better!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom2kids
I am originally from Southern Wisconsin. Although we are leaving Florida, for Georgia. I am longing to go back home to Wisconsin. I have heard so many negative things about Georgia....black suburbs....white suburbs crime... traffic... live here not there etc.... that I am having second thoughts.

I truly miss Wisconsin after living in Florida for 12 years. Florida is beautiful...there is crime... but not all the negative things that the current Georgians are saying about there State. (not directed towards you... this comes from other postings)

Why are you truly leaving?????
flmom~

Pretty much every generational descendant before me--going back prior to emancipation-- came from north Georgia. The many relatives of mine who remained there wouldn't dare leave. They've been to California; they've been to other northern and western states, and wouldn't dare call any place other than Georgia their home. I mean, think about it. All of what those generations had to endure for the last couple hundred years, and only two of them have left. Two! That says a lot about the love that people have for Georgia.

I happen to work at a law firm, and one of our clients is Champ Bailey. A Georgia boy through and through. He recently signed a multi, multi-million dollar contract to play football here in Colorado, yet even he is going to move to Atlanta to live.

Now if Atlanta was as bad as some people say, why would generations of Georgians, multi-millionaires, and thousands upon thousands of other Americans continue to flock there in droves if it's so bad?

Now, I would be extremely naive not to know that there's still segregation in the neighborhoods and in the schools. But that's not only changing, it's changing more rapidly than some people are comfortable with. Some Georgians feel as though they've lost their home, when in reality thev've only lost their dominance.

So if I were you, I'd still seriously consider the numerous Atlanta suburbs and what they have to offer. Don't listen to the naysayers. Don't be scared of some boogeyman. My beautiful wife--who happens to be white--is looking forward to living in Atlanta, and (obviously) has rejected the calls for fear and distrust. And if more people did so, Atlanta would be an even better place. There are always going to be those folks who will take flight at the slightest hint of change. I say let them. And their bitterness and resentment will fortunately go with them.

Last edited by backfist; 05-23-2006 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_GA_Peach
I'm sorry, backfist...and, before you ask, yes, I am blonde...were you referring to my post or another? I really don't try to hide behind PC talk, so I hope I didn't sound vague. If I did, I'll try to do better!
No apologies necessary for being blonde (my wife happens to be blonde).

Though you may not have intended to sound vague, you came across just vague enough that flmom also asked that you, essentially, put a finer tip on the point you're making.

It helps those folks who want to know just who their new Georgia neighbors might be. Well, I guess you won't be one of those neighbors, but you get my drift I suppose.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 84,832 times
Original GA Peach,

I understand how difficult it must be to leave your native state. I want to caution you that Chippewa falls may seem nice, things are on the decline in that region of the state of Wisconsin. The unemployment rate has improved over the years but for that area remains high. I believe in the 6.6% percentile. Also the growing epidemic of Meth in the area is similar to the crack epidemic of the late 80's. Last Year, Sen. Sheila Harsdorf (R) lead the way regarding legislation that would address the growing epidemic. Actually,last year almost exactly around this time if I remember this bill was passed? It is serious in those parts which is why the bill was created. It has been kept under the rug sort of speak because Chippewa\Eau Claire area depends heavily on tourism. The crime has doubled in the area. I remember when the area was hailed as a murder\homicide free community. This is not the case any more. The level of personal property crime and sexual assaults have sharply increased! During the winter months the area entertains Snowboarders and skiers. Some people in the area are in denial and will tell you that it is great place to raise a family. I have a very close friend and a co-worker who owned property in the area and frequented the place many times a year. He recently sold his place because during the months he did not visit his place (up north as we call it here) it was broken into and vandalized three times. the last time is was damaged so bad that he decided that it was time to sell. There is a problem with Meth Addicts burglarizing to support their habits.

He works in law enforcement and is saddened with the decline in the area. The whole north western region has seen a sharp increase in crime. It may not be the amount of crime that you could compare to Atlanta. It is crime nonetheless. So crimes that are being reported as of late:

Increased property theft
prostitution
drug violations
100% increas in domestic violence
sex offenses
vandalism
burglary

Unless you are retired or relocated by your employer it has become increasingly difficult to find work in this part of the state. Milwaukee has seen a rapid decline in available jobs. These other areas usually feed off of Milwaukee. Who knows you may go there and like it. I am just warning you what you are up against. I know the area quite well. People in the area want to believe that it is a safe haven. That, it is not!!! Most of these people are either in denial or go to bed at 7pm each night. If you need additional stats about the area please let me know and I will provide them.
I would want you to be as informed as much as possible. This is a big undertaking relocating your family. This is where you will live. I would hate for you to jump out of the skillet into the frying pan. I am here to help anyway I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia