Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2006, 06:20 AM

28 posts, read 113,897 times

Advertisements

In my search for a safe, clean, small town with good schools I came across info about St Mary's and wondered what it's really like? Any info on schools, crime, jobs, climate, bugs, flooding, etc.. would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
Hi Gretch, I'm not from Ga., but we are hoping to relocate to the South within the next 22 months. The best way to find a general idea of a community is go to the detailed profile. Of course, you won't get the real feel of it, or first hand info, but it will give you enough of an idea of whether it's the right place or you need to move on with your search. I don't have a specific url for you, but you can just do a search under~~~ St. Marys Ga detailed profile. It will tell you the climate, crime rate, population, cost of homes, races, etc. The last census was in 2000 and a lot of things have changed since then, especially if you check out Fla. cities. They also have a population amount that they were projecting for the year 2004. Hope this helps and sorry I couldn't give you any first hand info on this.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Likewise what Jammie said above.

I've been to St. Marys and it's a nice little area. Certainly wouldn't be a "bad" place to raise kids, and you're not far from Jacksonville (FL) and Savannah (not as nice as people think, but it's a city). It's the South - yes, there are bugs (and gators).

There's one thing to keep in mind, however. Some are saying that the hurricane seasons of the last couple of years are trends that will stick around a while. If you don't mind having to pack up and hit the road every so often in summer months to go inland when these hit, then it's not an issue. If however, packing up the kids/pets and heading out regularly is something you do not want to do, or, you would not be ABLE to do, then you may want to consider a place a bit more inland.

My aunt lives just a bit south of there south of Jacksonville and after last year gave up due to the weather, and now lives about mid-way up South Carolina in Columbia. She is 76 years old, though - younger folks may not mind the weather so much.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,378 times
I lived in St. Mary's for a year and I really loved it! There is a Navy base there (NSB KINGS BAY). It's a great palce to raise kids and I can't wait to move back!!

Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 AM

32 posts, read 190,126 times
I'm also considering St. Marys. I'm relocating for a job in Kings Bay. I'm also considering FL, but I can't seem to gather much information about GA vs. FL on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: