Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,747 times

Advertisements

We need advice on moving to Griffin, namely, Sun City (Del Webb). Apparently it's pretty far out, and not in close proximity to shopping, hospitals, etc. Is the area oppressed? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
I considered Sun City, but changed my mind.
I didn't consider it far out from Griffin shopping, mayby less than 5 miles. Be aware that property taxes in that county are high.
There is another DelWebb +55 development on I85 North of Atlanta and it is somewhat smaller than Sun City. Its much nearer more shopping than Sun City and the property taxes in that county are much lower than Griffin. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it, but the DelWebb site will have it.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 18,747 times
Default Griffin

Thanks for the reply. we are making a trip to visit both del webb communities, Sun city and Griffin, this month sometime. We'll try to make a decision then. Thanks for the info about taxes.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
It's a shame the Fayette County Commission denied Sun City's attempt to locate in Fayette County 4-5 years ago. It would have been a great development, halfway between Fayetteville and Peachtree City on 1,800 acres of open farmland within close proximity to shopping and directly adjacent to Piedmont Fayette Hospital. It was denied because they didn't want to increase the zoning "density" and deal with the additional traffic and sewer needs. No matter that most of the people who live at Sun City developments don't drive (golf carts) and of course have NO school age children, so it would have had ZERO impact on the school system while generating millions in revenue, which the county now sorely needs.

I swear, sometimes the leadership in Fayette County cuts off their noses to spite their faces. What for a long time has been a suburban paradise is quickly turning into another Atlanta "exurb" in decline.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 25,731 times
My husband are making a trip over to Sun City Peachtree next week. Does anyone have any new information on development in the area?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 AM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times
No way is sun-city far from griffin. I lived in sunnyside my whole life and if zoning in georgia wasnt so wierd I would expect it to be griffin but anyways, i prefer the location to any other place. Its situated not too far from either atlanta or macon but to each is there own.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

12 posts, read 44,701 times
Default Living in Sun City Griffin

There are many places to shop. Your day to day shopping would probably be in Griffin, we all go to McDonough to shop and eating out for variety it's about a 15-20 min ride. Your only about 30 miles from Atlanta and all it has to offer.

The taxes are high, I believe the other post was talking about Deacon Creek.

Have not been to the community don't know much about it. They also have a community at Lake Oconcee, GA but that is very far out and very remote area, but beautiful.

Sun city griffin is close to the airport and just about anything you would be interested in most activities you would want to do are either in the community or close by.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Default Living in Sun City Griffin, Ga

I posted this earlier, but wanted to mention that Porsche announced last week that they are coming to Atlanta to the old Ford plant. Also, we are only about 3 miles from Griffin shopping and about 4-5 from downtown historic Griffin. Shopping will not be a problem.

There are many places to shop. Your day to day shopping would probably be in Griffin, we all go to McDonough to shop and eating out for variety it's about a 15-20 min ride. Your only about 30 miles from Atlanta and all it has to offer.

The taxes are high, I believe the other post was talking about Deacon Creek.

Have not been to the community don't know much about it. They also have a community at Lake Oconcee, GA but that is very far out and very remote area, but beautiful.

Sun city griffin is close to the airport and just about anything you would be interested in most activities you would want to do are either in the community or close by.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Smile Spading medical center (Griffin Hospital)

I just wanted to say that Griffin has an excellent hospital. The staff is great, the emergency room staff (been twice) excellent. Husband spent 8 days there and he has nothing but high praise for all the staff. Hospital is modern and one of the cleanest I have ever seen.

I have my yearly mammogram and other test done at the facilities their and they have always been prompt and first rate.

Shortly after moving to Sun City my husband became ill not the greatest way to find out about a hospital, but we were greatly surprise at the wonderful hospital and staff. It's first class. Several of our neighbors have been Ill and have nothing but wonderful things to say.

We are also close to several other hospital in towns located within 15 miles. We also have Emory hospital in Atlanta which is world class facility and all the other hospitals in the Atlanta area.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Smile Spalding Medical Center (Griffin Hospital)

I just wanted to say that Griffin has an excellent hospital. The staff is great, the emergency room staff (been twice) excellent. Husband spent 8 days there and he has nothing but high praise for all the staff. Hospital is modern and one of the cleanest I have ever seen.

I have my yearly mammogram and other test done at the facilities their and they have always been prompt and first rate.

Shortly after moving to Sun City my husband became ill not the greatest way to find out about a hospital, but we were greatly surprise at the wonderful hospital and staff. It's first class. Several of our neighbors have been Ill and have nothing but wonderful things to say.

We are also close to several other hospital in towns located within 15 miles. We also have Emory hospital in Atlanta which is world class facility and all the other hospitals in the Atlanta area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia