Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,653 times

Advertisements

I am 35 yrs old w/ three kids ages 16, 13, & 6. I have lived on the west coast and currently reside in the midwest. I am looking to get a fresh start. What cities in Georgia are best for single moms with kids? What cities offer the best job opportunities? (I don't have a college degree)

Any and all advice will be very helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylife View Post
I am 35 yrs old w/ three kids ages 16, 13, & 6. I have lived on the west coast and currently reside in the midwest. I am looking to get a fresh start. What cities in Georgia are best for single moms with kids? What cities offer the best job opportunities? (I don't have a college degree)

Any and all advice will be very helpful.

Thank you.
You would like Columbus. Great family city with good schools, sports teams, etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM

102 posts, read 460,849 times
I am soooo in your situation, and want to relocate too. People are very nice in this(Georgia) forum. I also have no degree, just bartending skills that have carried me for the past 20 years.(Oh, if I could just go back and do things differently!)

I wish you the best, maybe we'll see each other 5 yrs. from now and be blissfully happy!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Well, you definitely want to pick one of the smaller cities like Columbus or Macon - or even just north on the state line in Chattanooga. You're more likely to find a "livable" wage and lower cost of living there with no college degree than you would in say, Atlanta.

Personally I'm partial to Chattanooga since it has a nice riverfront area, children's museum, and aquarium as well as reasonably affordable living costs. If you for some reason had to be in Georgia, Chattanooga is literally on the state line, so you could live on the GA. side but still take advantage of that city.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 53,353 times
Columbus is a great city! I've lived their my whole life (up until this past January when I moved to Florida, but I plan on moving back ASAP). It's a great place to raise a family! It's not too small and it's not too big. Phenix City, AL (5 min. away) is a lot cheaper as far as houses go, but North Columbus is your best bet (safe, friendly, good schools). Of course, other parts of Columbus are also great... I've only lived in N. Columbus so I can't accurately comment about the other parts. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,653 times
It is now 7 years later. I now have my Bachelor's in Health Services Management which I obtained this year! YAY I can't believe I am in the same mindset of wanting to leave my current situation. My original post I had 3 kids now I only have a 13 yr old (time sure flies).

I really want to move soon and I have enough monies to move there with no job (although I do not want to). I am finding through job boards online that without healthcare experience it is hard gaining employment.

Is the job market any good there?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Bartending? Savannah. Or anywhere in Florida.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Quote:
It is now 7 years later. I now have my Bachelor's in Health Services Management which I obtained this year! YAY I can't believe I am in the same mindset of wanting to leave my current situation. My original post I had 3 kids now I only have a 13 yr old (time sure flies).

I really want to move soon and I have enough monies to move there with no job (although I do not want to). I am finding through job boards online that without healthcare experience it is hard gaining employment.

Congrats on your degree

Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Congratulations on earning your Bachelor's Degree in Health Services Management.

Hopefully earning a Bachelor's Degree in Health Services Management will go a long ways towards improving your career prospects and your financial outlook.

Quote:

I understand that you are eager to make a change in your life, but whatever you do, DO NOT MOVE TO GEORGIA WITHOUT FIRST HAVING LINED UP A JOB!!!!!!

Moving to Georgia (which is a state whose job market has struggled during much of the past decade during the severe economic downturn known as the Great Depression) or anywhere else without a job lined up, ready and waiting for you upon arrival in that new state is just simply not the greatest idea and is extremely ill-advised in most situations.

If you move to Georgia or anyplace else, be sure to have employment lined up in that city before moving there.

Instead of spending your savings to desperately attempt to find a job after having moved to a strange new city with no real employment contacts, an infinitely better approach would be to search for new employment in other parts of the country while staying employed at your current job in your current city/state.

With your background as a past resident of a West Coast state and a current resident of a Midwestern state, if you are going to look for employment in Georgia in a field like Health Services Management (or almost any other good-paying field), the first and obvious place to start would be the Atlanta metro area.

The Atlanta metro area would be a good place for you to start your search for employment because it is a highly-transient metro area with most of the people living there having been born and raised in either another state or another country.

Because so many people in metro Atlanta area are from another part of the nation and/or the world, the Atlanta metro area does not have the deep, deep, deep, deep South feel that almost all other parts of Georgia will have....Something which would mean less culture shock for you should you choose to move to Georgia.

Outside of metro Atlanta, other parts of Georgia where you could look for employment opportunities are:

> Augusta (which has a very fast-growing local Health Services industry)...

> Athens (which is home to Georgia's flagship public university, the University of Georgia)...

> Columbus, Georgia (which has a very large corporate community for a city/metro its size)...and...

> Savannah (which is home to what is reported to be the fastest-growing international seaport on the entire planet right now).

Just outside of Georgia, you could checkout cities like:

> Chattanooga, Tennessee (which is a small/mid-sized Southern city with a very high and rising quality-of-life)...

> The Florida metro areas of Jacksonville, Orlando/Central Florida, Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater(which are areas that experience a good amount of growth because of Florida's status as a major magnet for retirees from colder states).

Other parts of the Southern/Southeastern U.S. that you could checkout are:

> Nashville, Tennessee (which is a large and fast-growing transient city/metro with a very-large and robust Health Services industry)...

> Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary, North Carolina (the North Carolina Research Triangle area)...(which is a large and fast-growing transient metro region with a very-large and robust Health Services industry due to the presence of 3 major research universities (the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Duke University; North Carolina State University)....LOTS of EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE HEALTH SERVICES FIELD IN THIS PARTICULAR METRO REGION!!!).

You could also checkout the Texas metros of Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin which are perennial high-growth areas (though, Austin can be a bit more pricey in some respects because of the city's unique culture and attempts by locals to limit population growth there over the years).

In any case, just take a look at some of the different choices throughout the Southern/Southeastern U.S. and decide what might work best for you in your particular situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia