Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2006, 03:33 PM

36 posts, read 55,750 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Orlando, FL for over 20 years and due to the sharp increase in real estate prices the city cannot keep up. Ivestors by the thousands are infesting our neighborhoods with rental properties. I cannot begin to tell you the kinds of headaches we are expriencing because of it...it's a shame.

Anyway, we are looking to get out!! We want a safe, quiet neighborhood with great schools. We are looking in NW GA. Specifically, I looked at Cherokee County, perhaps Woodstock area. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2006, 07:38 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
I'd say the quality of life is good. It can get a little boring out in the exurbs but from Cherokee county it's just a short drive to Vinings and cumberland which are becoming HOT! Cherokee itself is nice. It's growing rapidly but is still very lily white. It's pretty nice.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Atlanta being literally one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. for the last 20 years (growing at around 60,000 new residents per YEAR) is hardly a "quiet" city, unless you move about 50 miles out, in which case you'll gain about 5-6 years of quiet before the city expands to that area.

That being said, Woodstock is one of the areas people who live closer in move to, in order to "get out" of the city. You're not going to avoid Atlanta traffic, though. Even Woodstock is in the middle of that. Public schools in the burbs are decent, though overcrowded (expect to see a fair number of trailer classroom overflow). Private schools are of course, better.

For "quiet" and a small town feel, further north to Dahlonega (Duh-Lawn-eh-gah) is nice. About 70 miles north and it's a touristy artsy-craftsy town. You can still get to Atlanta in a reasonable amount of time, are close to outlet malls, etc., but are out a lot more in the "country" . Have no idea about the schools up there, though. It's borderline rednecky up there, so they may have deer hunting classes starting in 4th grade.. I dunno. LOL

Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM

66 posts, read 346,991 times
hi shopzilla,were in windermere on 535 we sold last july .were now renting in winter garden.were heading up to ga .canton or cumming . good luck if you need any info e-mail me deborahdnds@aol.com

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 25,293 times
Default Try Rome

Rome is off the beaten path but large enough for all your needs. 60 miles NW of ATL

Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 PM

36 posts, read 55,750 times
We're thinking about the Blue Ridge Mountain area...NE Georgia. Know of any good spots??

Old 06-10-2006, 08:05 AM

66 posts, read 346,991 times
try canton really nice

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM

426 posts, read 2,321,935 times
Hopefully you will not be working in Atlanta. The traffic would kill you coming from Woodstock, it would take about an hour, on a good day. You do not have to live far from the city to enjoy some peace and quiet. I suggest the Smokerise area of Stone Mountain. Due to zoning restrictions the area is high income, largely wooded, and breathtakingly beautiful, yet 20-25 minutes from Atlanta. Most homes are on at least an acre of land and home prices range from the 400s to about 1.5 million dollars. The area is one of Atlanta's best kept secrets and is close to good public and private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia