U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 AM
 
717 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Reputation: 445

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida, but will probably be moving to Georgia within the next 30-45 days.

Florida has a program called "Bright Futures" which gives kids either 75% or 100% of their college tuition fully paid by the state if they are high academic achievers? These awards are based on GPA and SAT or ACT scores. This is paid to state run colleges--both 2 yr & 4 yr.

I have 4 kids--2 are already in Florida state schools with 75% of their college tuition paid. The other 2 kids will receive this benefit also as their GPA's are also high and I don't anticipate that changing.

I am sure thousands of you can relate to the tremendous benefit this is--esp. when one looks at the cost of college today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:02 AM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,407,637 times
Reputation: 1045
Georgia has the HOPE scholarship.
There are two ways I know of to get it.

You have to graduate from a Georgia high school w/ a 3.0GPA in CP program, or 3.5GPA for VC program.

or...

Move to Georgia and enroll in college; maintain a 3.0 GPA for one year, and you are HOPE eligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Port Wentworth (North)
726 posts, read 3,339,030 times
Reputation: 218
I know. I have 4 kids--1 is at UGA, 1 has been accepted to both Tech and UGA, the agony, and 2 that will be in need of hope.

GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview (http://www.gacollege411.org/FinAid/ScholarshipsAndGrants/HOPEScholarship/overview.asp - broken link)

Georgia's HOPE Scholarship is available to Georgia residents who have demonstrated academic achievement at the high school and/or college level. The scholarship provides funds to address many of the costs associated with tuition, fees, and books for students who are pursuing an associate or bachelor's degree in Georgia's public and private colleges and universities.

To receive HOPE Scholarship funding, students must:

1.Have graduated from an eligible high school with a "B" average, as defined by the HOPE program, or have earned at least a 3.0 grade point average at the college level at specific credit-hour checkpoints. Students who earned a GED or graduated from an ineligible high school or home study program may qualify for a HOPE Scholarship, as an entering freshman, based on their SAT or ACT scores.
2.Be enrolled as a degree-seeking student at an eligible public or private college or university or technical college in Georgia. pdfView a list of HOPE eligible institutions.
3.Meet HOPE's Georgia residency requirements.
4.Meet HOPE's U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen requirements.
5.Be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements.
6.Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Post secondary Education Act of 1990. A student may be ineligible for HOPE payment if he or she has been convicted for committing certain felony offenses involving marijuana, controlled substances, or dangerous drugs.
7. Not be in default or owe a refund on a student financial aid program.
8. Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college.

Students attending public institutions receive an award for the following:
* Tuition for number of hours enrolled whether full-time or part-time
* HOPE-approved mandatory fees
* Books allowance of up to $100 per quarter or $150 per semester
Students attending private institutions receive the following:
* Full-time students: $1,750 per semester, $1,166 per quarter
* Half-time students: $875 per semester, $583 per quarter

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 01-14-2009 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
 
717 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Reputation: 445
Default Georgia Hope Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
I know. I have 4 kids--1 is at UGA, 1 has been accepted to both Tech and UGA, the agony, and 2 that will be in need of hope.

GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview (http://www.gacollege411.org/FinAid/ScholarshipsAndGrants/HOPEScholarship/overview.asp - broken link)

Georgia's HOPE Scholarship is available to Georgia residents who have demonstrated academic achievement at the high school and/or college level. The scholarship provides funds to address many of the costs associated with tuition, fees, and books for students who are pursuing an associate or bachelor's degree in Georgia's public and private colleges and universities.

To receive HOPE Scholarship funding, students must:

1.Have graduated from an eligible high school with a "B" average, as defined by the HOPE program, or have earned at least a 3.0 grade point average at the college level at specific credit-hour checkpoints. Students who earned a GED or graduated from an ineligible high school or home study program may qualify for a HOPE Scholarship, as an entering freshman, based on their SAT or ACT scores.
2.Be enrolled as a degree-seeking student at an eligible public or private college or university or technical college in Georgia. pdfView a list of HOPE eligible institutions.
3.Meet HOPE's Georgia residency requirements.
4.Meet HOPE's U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen requirements.
5.Be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements.
6.Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Post secondary Education Act of 1990. A student may be ineligible for HOPE payment if he or she has been convicted for committing certain felony offenses involving marijuana, controlled substances, or dangerous drugs.
7. Not be in default or owe a refund on a student financial aid program.
8. Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college.

Students attending public institutions receive an award for the following:
* Tuition for number of hours enrolled whether full-time or part-time
* HOPE-approved mandatory fees
* Books allowance of up to $100 per quarter or $150 per semester
Students attending private institutions receive the following:
* Full-time students: $1,750 per semester, $1,166 per quarter
* Half-time students: $875 per semester, $583 per quarter

Thank you very much for this wonderful info

I've bookmarked the link and will check out all of the details later. It is somewhat of a relief to know that their is some type of program available--with 4 kids like me--I am sure you are thankful for every $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
 
62 posts, read 191,493 times
Reputation: 31
Beware! You must be a legal resident of GA before you child may be eligible for the hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
 
717 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata1818 View Post
Beware! You must be a legal resident of GA before you child may be eligible for the hope.
Did I miss something? Who's talking about "cheating" the system? I would assume that if I move to Georgia, change my driver's license, change my insurance, actually llive there (probably for 1 year or whatever the requirement is in GA), work in GA and have to start paying GA state income taxes, I would be a resident of Georgia??? Oh yea, I plan to open my own business too--does all of that make me a Georgia resident? I don't get where you came up with your BEWARE! warning....chill out.....

but then again, if all of these things would not make me a Georgia resident that I would certainly want to know. I would not want to make economic contributions to the state and employ people in the state if I were not going to be a resident.

I already have 2 kids in college in Florida--both of whom earned Bright Futures--so their tuition is paid for them at 75% as long as they maintain their GPA's. I also have two other kids in high school, 9th & 10th grade, who will also be awarded Bright Futures based on their GPA's & SAT's, should we remain in Florida. Why would I want to give that up to try and "cheat" GA? My daughter will probably get tuition at 100% in Florida.

Last edited by itsajourney; 02-01-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Port Wentworth (North)
726 posts, read 3,339,030 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I think the deal we have in Florida is probably overall better anyway
Impossible!
Our schools are far better!

and we have far better Crackers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,797,123 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post

and we have far better Crackers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
 
717 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Impossible!
Our schools are far better!

and we have far better Crackers!
You read my post b4 I edited it and took that sentence out.....because I noticed your HOPE is maybe 100%??? at public universities.

I don't get the CRACKERS part though...PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 AM
 
Location: North Georgia
263 posts, read 718,536 times
Reputation: 136
Here's a link to meeting Hope's Requirements:

GAcollege411 - HOPE Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.gacollege411.org/FinAid/ScholarshipsAndGrants/HOPEScholarship/hope_faqs.asp?hope_topic=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top