Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 PM

244 posts, read 865,500 times

Advertisements

What situation are you referring to? Outside of Augusta, Athens is the only other "major" city on the northeast side of Georgia and the two are a good ways from each other. I can't really suggest anything since you haven't given much information to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantw8 View Post
Our fear would be to end up in the same situation that we are in, up here in MA. I think it is definitely worth us researching Athens. Are there major cities in the area that you would suggest we focus on for our job search? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
I'd find somewhere other than Georgia. Whats with some of the people on here, our Economy is in the crapper and isn't getting better so stop advising people to move here.

Hell I saw the Dept. of Labor in Kennesaw not too long ago and there were so many people there that cars were parked in the grass and out on the street.

We're supposed to lose 143,000 more jobs this year and unemployment is predicted to hit 10.3%. So stop moving here!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM

18 posts, read 27,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'd find somewhere other than Georgia. Whats with some of the people on here, our Economy is in the crapper and isn't getting better so stop advising people to move here.

Hell I saw the Dept. of Labor in Kennesaw not too long ago and there were so many people there that cars were parked in the grass and out on the street.

We're supposed to lose 143,000 more jobs this year and unemployment is predicted to hit 10.3%. So stop moving here!!!
I'm sure people realize the economy is "crappy" everywhere. As long as they have a job lined up first, then I don't see the problem with people relocating. Who knows how long it is going to take the economy to turn around. Should we all hide under a rock and not move until then? People are just trying to do the best they can in these times, even if that means moving to a new state. If you are so unhappy about people moving into your state, then move!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSoxSox View Post
I'm sure people realize the economy is "crappy" everywhere. As long as they have a job lined up first, then I don't see the problem with people relocating. Who knows how long it is going to take the economy to turn around. Should we all hide under a rock and not move until then? People are just trying to do the best they can in these times, even if that means moving to a new state. If you are so unhappy about people moving into your state, then move!
Spoken like a true transplant. I'm most definitely not the only one unhappy with the migration problem in Ga but I'm sure every transplant living here in the South will make it seem that way.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true transplant. I'm most definitely not the only one unhappy with the migration problem in Ga but I'm sure every transplant living here in the South will make it seem that way.
I am more than happy to be one more TRANSPLANT in your state . On a side note, you should try using punctuation. It would make reading your statements more meaningful, instead of it being a rambling bunch of words.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I am more than happy to be one more TRANSPLANT in your state . On a side note, you should try using punctuation. It would make reading your statements more meaningful, instead of it being a rambling bunch of words.
Awww aren't we proper, too bad this is an internet forum and not English class.

Come on down Sox, I'm sure you'll enjoy living off the $13 an hour your hubby makes as a welder. We don't pay quite as good down here but at least it's warm, right?

Sure, getting a job before you come is a great idea and It'll work out fine. Don't worry about the economic predictions for Georgia, I'm sure there nothing to worry about.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM

12 posts, read 25,149 times
Chadro77, I have been "researching" the Northern part of Georgia. My husband and I are thinking about a relocation. I am the 6th generation of the pioneers who settled the area I am from in WV. Never thought I would consider leaving...ever! We don't have to worry much about employment, hubby is retired, but I have really wanted to know honest opinions of native Georgians and how they feel about the mass exodus to your state. Maybe it seems like mas exodus to me from all I'm seeing over the net. While I can tell you are not happy with the transplants, I still want to know more of how natives feel. We have had alot of transplants to our area and I know how locals feel about "newcomers" taking over. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Left Mass in Aug 2007. Never looked back. Only thing I miss is Fenway and Gillette and fans who pay attention to MLB and the NFL. Better get used to fanatical college football fans if you come south. If it's not a bulldog, most people here don't care.

I would agree that you must have a job before you come. The economy right now is bad here, and wages are less than MA, but of course you don't have the nanny state and Deval with his massive tax hikes either.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltonsnut View Post
Chadro77, I have been "researching" the Northern part of Georgia. My husband and I are thinking about a relocation. I am the 6th generation of the pioneers who settled the area I am from in WV. Never thought I would consider leaving...ever! We don't have to worry much about employment, hubby is retired, but I have really wanted to know honest opinions of native Georgians and how they feel about the mass exodus to your state. Maybe it seems like mas exodus to me from all I'm seeing over the net. While I can tell you are not happy with the transplants, I still want to know more of how natives feel. We have had alot of transplants to our area and I know how locals feel about "newcomers" taking over. Thanks.
Well I don't want to speak for all Georgians but I'm more than happy to give you my opinion. I have some extended family that is actually from the Fairmont, WV area, so I kind of have a general idea of how WV is. The only problem I have with transplants is their inability to adapt for the most part. They don't like the way Southerners talk, eat, dress, drive etc. etc. and they are very verbal about it. They bring their ultra liberal ideas down with them and act as if we're all a bunch of loony right wing religious nutjobs who need to be shown the light. They essentially think they can turn our nice conservative state into the liberal piece of crap they were just so desperate to get out of. Now this by no means applies to all transplants because I have met some great ones, the Northeast seems to provide the most problematic ones. From what I know of West Virginia, I'd say you'll probably have nothing to worry about and will more than likely fit in nicely. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this thread but oh well.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well I don't want to speak for all Georgians but I'm more than happy to give you my opinion. I have some extended family that is actually from the Fairmont, WV area, so I kind of have a general idea of how WV is. The only problem I have with transplants is their inability to adapt for the most part. They don't like the way Southerners talk, eat, dress, drive etc. etc. and they are very verbal about it. They bring their ultra liberal ideas down with them and act as if we're all a bunch of loony right wing religious nutjobs who need to be shown the light. They essentially think they can turn our nice conservative state into the liberal piece of crap they were just so desperate to get out of. Now this by no means applies to all transplants because I have met some great ones, the Northeast seems to provide the most problematic ones. From what I know of West Virginia, I'd say you'll probably have nothing to worry about and will more than likely fit in nicely. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this thread but oh well.
Rather just assume you know all of us transplants, you should give people a chance. Your previous statement about the wages my husband would make are laughable. To think that you have any right judging a family from MA is quite laughable. I would love to move down to be your neighbor, I'd park my CAH close to your YAHD and invite your OVAH for a BAHBEQUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia