Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacioust View Post
The economic downturn has forced us to consider moving from NY. Does anyone have any prospective area in Georgia that are progressive, affordable with a good school system?
A lot depends on what you mean by "progressive".

By my standards, coming from the Twin Cities metro, some areas of the Atlanta metro are quite conservative, and it shows in the lack of infrastructure around here. However, there are pockets here and there which don't really fit that stereotype. The southern part of Cobb seems to be a nice mix, for example, and at least in our case the schools are relatively good. Not necessarily "top of the line" (whatever that means), but good enough for a responsible student to get a good public education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 49,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Being from the south but I visit New York State a lot and just remember NYC is really in Jersey. The Majority of New York state is very conservative and laid back.
I wouldn't consider NY conservative state, at least where I am it is very relaxed and liberal. I am in Rockland County, NY (Nyack area) It is a very laid back atomosphere, scenic and beautiful here. We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, kayaking and hiking. We thought we would have similar outdoor opportunities in parts of Georgia. We have a fair amount of family in the south and were only considering potential areas. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

perhaps I should clarify, I am originally from the south, born and raised. just not from Georgia.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellinwr View Post
Georgia is a very conservative state. I would not think some one with liberal views from New York would want to move to Ga. In GA when yankees move here, they are then called "D***ed Yankees"...
I'm was bron and raised in the south, just not Georgia

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And what makes you think that GA is doing any better in the economic downturn? Have you looked at the unemployment rate reports lately?
I'm well aware of the overall state of our country, thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

150 posts, read 482,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacioust View Post
I wouldn't consider NY conservative state, at least where I am it is very relaxed and liberal. I am in Rockland County, NY (Nyack area) It is a very laid back atomosphere, scenic and beautiful here. We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, kayaking and hiking. We thought we would have similar outdoor opportunities in parts of Georgia. We have a fair amount of family in the south and were only considering potential areas. I appreciate the feedback.
Western New York is definetly a lot different from any area near NYACK..lol. There are many areas of North Georgia that you described for outdoor activities but its still preety conservative. I could understand why someone from Eastern NYACK would want to move to Georgia but the Western part of the New York Id move From Georgia in a heartbeat to move there.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM

750 posts, read 2,277,283 times
Come anywhere around Atlanta. Atlanta is made up of some many transplants you'll fit right in with everyone else. Noone is going to give a crap that your from New York. It just depends on what your looking for exactly.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Athens, GA is progressive, liberal, lively, thriving, and a lot cheaper, cleaner and safer than Atlanta. The constantly changing UGA student population means the city is accustomed to welcoming new-comers. It's got enough going on to keep big city people entertained while offering a way more laid-back and economic alternative to urban life. Also just an hour and a half from Atlanta (and its airport), no worse than driving from Brooklyn to the Bronx. A blended family wouldn't have any problems here if they stick with other liberal-minded people (of whom there are PLENTY).

Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,574,286 times
the number of people in GA who will give a rip who you are, what you look like, who you marry can fit inside a bus--the little yellow one at that.

what people resent EVERYWHERE is snot nosed elitist, we're right-you are wrong, in your face attitude. driving while drunk or talking on a cell phone ain't so good either.

i happen to be caucasian. i have had people who are of other races/ethnic groups who resent like the dickens one of "their kind" dating or marrying into a different race/ethnic group. btw, i tend to believe there is only ONE race, namely human race. the rest diverges from that.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
You're not from 'round here, are you?
Lived in Savannah for 18 years. Yes, I'm from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia