Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM

22 posts, read 49,393 times

Advertisements

I wasn't looking to inflict my views, nor get into a silly bashing match with anyone. It seems there are some people on here fostering a little bit of aggression. Perhaps you should look into a hobby....
For the rest of you, I appreciate your feedback and found it most useful. cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 PM

63 posts, read 284,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
I would suggest Columbus, Georgia. It is a very progressive city with excellent school systems, and with BRAC expansions thousands of job opportunites will be opening up in all different asepcts of service to accomidate the thousands of new soldiers being relocated there. Some people claim housing prices in Columbus are way overpriced, but they aren't that bad. If Columbus doesn't suit you theres Phenix City Alabama which has an excellent city school system and has almost the same services as Columbus, and its just across the river.

Here are some websites you can check out about Columbus and Phenix City

Columbus Georgia Home Page

Columbus Georgia Convention & Visitors Bureau - Georgia travel, antique shops, hotels, restaurants, shopping, tours, Ft. Benning

Muscogee County School District, Columbus, Georgia

Ledger-Enquirer.com | Homepage |

Phenix City: Welcome

Phenix City Public Schools, Phenix City, Alabama

I would really have to disagree here, sorry! My husband and I are moving away from the Columbus area because it is not really diverse or accepting IMO. It also doesn't have much character at all and everything of Phenix City is just a dirtier looking Columbus. Things are less expensive there, but for a reason, and I have heard terrible things about the schools. The teacher pay is awful, so that explains some of it.
If I were you I would look into the Athens area, Atlanta, or Savannah. GL!!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,536 times
You know, I just posted on another thread about this and I've been thinking why Savannah is so tolerant of interracial families.....I think most interracial professional families are seen for what they are....intelligent, tolerant and classier people. Really the people that seem to have problems with interracial couples are exactly the opposite and why bother hanging around and listening to all of the pointless moaning. If you read my post on another interracial thread you can see my take on how Savannah is as far as racial harmony. It's not a HUGE problem, but it seems to appear every few years, in my opinion but it's just grumbling and blaming. No riots or marches just news articles and town hall meetings. The vast majority of Savannah would love to meet a great friendly family. I wouldn't envision any interracial family having a problem living here and surrounding themselves with intelligent people.

The education system in Savannah is remodeling for the better. I was educated in New Orleans...I believe you get what you want out of ANY school, if you want education. The elementary schools that are great: Hesse (now going up to 8th!), Islands, Isle of Hope, Southwest...
The middle schools....errrrrrr......Oglethorpe Charter School is great!
High School: Savannah Arts Academy, Jenkins is okay

Everyone says the Richmond Hill Schools are good, but I'd hate living all the way out there (jmo) and I believe that you absolutely can get a top-notch education from ANY Savannah schools if you have involved parents that push their kids educationally.....

Don't know too much from personal experience, just hearsay....ours go to a religious school of our denomination (husbands alma maters )

Hope this is helpful...

Last edited by tigafan; 06-04-2009 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: forgot to add schools

Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Savannah not a bad choice ,but it will be a culture shock initially.You should try Athens Georgia or downtown Decatur.Decatur is very progressive.Its also culturally diverse.Its only 15 minutes from Atlanta.They have good schools but you must pick the right neighborhood to find one that is stellar..The housing for your money is much greater than in NY.You will make less but you will be able to by more for your money.Especially in this market

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I would really have to disagree here, sorry! My husband and I are moving away from the Columbus area because it is not really diverse or accepting IMO. It also doesn't have much character at all and everything of Phenix City is just a dirtier looking Columbus. Things are less expensive there, but for a reason, and I have heard terrible things about the schools. The teacher pay is awful, so that explains some of it.
Yes I agree with you.He was stretching.Columbus while not a bad place is not what I would calll progressive.Some people think that being progressive means that they are "building a lot".That is physical.Progressive is a way living beyond the ordinary by acceptance, planning,individuality,and being innovative.I am a proud Georgia native,but the truth is ,while it is one of the most progressive states in the South along with North Carolina and Florida,it is by no means progressive when compared with other states nationwide.(of course there are exceptions to every rule.)

Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
You know, I just posted on another thread about this and I've been thinking why Savannah is so tolerant of interracial families.....I think most interracial professional families are seen for what they are....intelligent, tolerant and classier people. Really the people that seem to have problems with interracial couples are exactly the opposite and why bother hanging around and listening to all of the pointless moaning. If you read my post on another interracial thread you can see my take on how Savannah is as far as racial harmony. It's not a HUGE problem, but it seems to appear every few years, in my opinion but it's just grumbling and blaming. No riots or marches just news articles and town hall meetings. The vast majority of Savannah would love to meet a great friendly family. I wouldn't envision any interracial family having a problem living here and surrounding themselves with intelligent people.

The education system in Savannah is remodeling for the better. I was educated in New Orleans...I believe you get what you want out of ANY school, if you want education. The elementary schools that are great: Hesse (now going up to 8th!), Islands, Isle of Hope, Southwest...
The middle schools....errrrrrr......Oglethorpe Charter School is great!
High School: Savannah Arts Academy, Jenkins is okay

Everyone says the Richmond Hill Schools are good, but I'd hate living all the way out there (jmo) and I believe that you absolutely can get a top-notch education from ANY Savannah schools if you have involved parents that push their kids educationally.....

Don't know too much from personal experience, just hearsay....ours go to a religious school of our denomination (husbands alma maters )

Hope this is helpful...
So true about what you said about education.Parents must be involved when the schools are sub par or even great.Savannah also has a large military base nearby.Of there are a lot of interacial families in the military so its not so bad.People are used to it.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,701 times
[FONT=Verdana]North Metro Atlanta would be a great place for you to go in Georgia. That's where I would go if I could. Places like Roswell, Alpharetta, Acworth, Kennesaw, Marietta, Vinings, even Sandy Springs and North Atlanta inside the perimeter are great. There are lots of things to do, great shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and high quality schools. I've never been to South Metro, but I've heard Peachtree City and Newnan are nice places. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I'm stuck in Blue Ridge until our house sells. It was a huge mistake moving out to the middle of nowhere in the country surrounded by old-time southerners. If you like to stare at woods 24 hours a day and want to live in a tiny town with nothing to do and no place to go, then I would suggest coming here. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Our house is in the Mountain Tops Subdivision. It's been for sale for 4 months and not 1 person has looked at it. [/FONT]
[URL="http://aquamls.com/blueridgerealtyga/search_results.php?ourlisting=0&mls=185658&zip=&fr ontage=&view=&price_from=0&price_to=999999999&bedr ooms=&bathrooms=&x=0&y=0"][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]http://aquamls.com/blueridgerealtyga/search_results.php?ourlisting=0&mls=185658&zip=&fr ontage=&view=&price_from=0&price_to=999999999&bedr ooms=&bathrooms=&x=0&y=0[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]What a huge mistake. A word of advice, DO NOT buy any place unless you are absolutely certain that is where you want to live for quite sometime. [/FONT]

Old 07-03-2009, 03:56 PM

44 posts, read 90,221 times
Quote:
I agree 100 percent with you!
Along with an outrageous crime and poverty rate to boot.
We have one poster here who thinks progressive and diverse means a new bldg etc and misses the mark completely(as well as being very childish and immature in his over the top remarks).
We left for Roswell/Alpharetta area and it was like day and night with cost overall MUCH LESS than anywhere in the Columbus area for housing etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:44 PM

88 posts, read 205,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsontech View Post
I agree 100 percent with you!
Along with an outrageous crime and poverty rate to boot.
We have one poster here who thinks progressive and diverse means a new bldg etc and misses the mark completely(as well as being very childish and immature in his over the top remarks).
We left for Roswell/Alpharetta area and it was like day and night with cost overall MUCH LESS than anywhere in the Columbus area for housing etc.
Our children all left Columbus after we did and have done exceedingly well and have never regretted it for a day.
The city is about as diverse and progressive as any PH area.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM

88 posts, read 205,683 times
Quote:
Excellent post....spot on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia