Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 AM

38 posts, read 118,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Go with Savannah or Columbus. They will offer a higher quality of life.
quality of life would include safety, as well as a variety of amenities.
You can be safe in both cities depending on the part of town, but Columbus is plain ol generic in the variety of amenities it has to offer. It's really not that much better than even Hinesville. It just more of the same generic things, since it has more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsontech View Post
Of course...blow off the stuff the city does not have and then say the town being slow is good.
That sums up Columbus completely.....thanks for the honest post
I wasn't blowing off anything. Really and truly the things that are being discussed that make Macon so superior malls, freeways and height of buildings are superficial. Who cares? I'm not 13 so I care about actually buying the items I need versus how "cool" the mall is.

Quality of life is more important and if Columbus is so lacking why not lay out ideas for the future? (Not directing at anyone in particular just the haters) Don't be a hater be a motivator. Both the people of Columbus and Macon deserve to live in cities with high quality of life and opportunities to grow.

For the record it doesn't matter how big a city "feels". Is it a nice place to be? That's what important. Columbus is home and despite not living there anymore it still has a place in my heart. It's a plesant place to be with nice people. The retail is enough to support the population. The nightlife is fine and one nice thing about not having major freeways is that the traffic is a lot better than other cities the same size. Look at Montgomery, Savannah, and Chattanooga cities the same size as C-town that have actual traffic jams. Don't know about Macon but I wouldn't be surprised if Macon has the same problem too at rush hour. These cities have to deal with travelers passing through plus local traffic. Columbus has less of that and way better traffic.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0909 View Post
quality of life would include safety, as well as a variety of amenities.
You can be safe in both cities depending on the part of town, but Columbus is plain ol generic in the variety of amenities it has to offer. It's really not that much better than even Hinesville. It just more of the same generic things, since it has more people.
That's not true, I can name probably 100 things that Columbus has that Hinesville will never see in our lifetime. In all regards, no 2nd tier city in Georgia has the amenties that Atlanta has, but that doesn't mean that Columbus is generic.

If that's the case, what's Macon, Savannah and Augusta if Columbus is generic?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 AM

119 posts, read 298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
That's not true, I can name probably 100 things that Columbus has that Hinesville will never see in our lifetime. In all regards, no 2nd tier city in Georgia has the amenties that Atlanta has, but that doesn't mean that Columbus is generic.

If that's the case, what's Macon, Savannah and Augusta if Columbus is generic?
I agree with you 100%. Also, Hinesville could fit in a corner of Columbus.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM

129 posts, read 324,878 times
Macon is smaller than Columbus. Macon is also smaller than Augusta . The crime rate is higher.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian2 View Post
Nope. Atlanta is not in the same league as Macon and Columbus. No comparison. No , not any.
I'm sorry. I did not mean to say Atlanta. I retract that. But I will say that Savannah and Columbus are more in the same league. Macon and Hinesville are in the same league. Macon and Hinesville are not in the same league as Columbus and Savannah. And I will add , there are NO cities in Georgia comparable to Atlanta. Wish there were though.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I didn't say Atlanta. I said Augusta.

Yes . I corrected that.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
Macon is smaller than Columbus. Macon is also smaller than Augusta . The crime rate is higher.
Yes that is true That Columbus and Augusta are NOW Considered Larger Than Macon Base solely because it Consolidation but the Proper Cities of Columbus and Augusta are Smaller than Macon....Before they Consolidated Augusta pop was only 40,000 and much less than 50 Sq miles as well as for Columbus 79,000 at 42.5 Sq miles....The proper city of Macon is Currently 56.3 Sq miles at 97,000.... Which after the consolidation efforts pass it will it size will increase to 255.3 Sq miles and a pop of 160,000...

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
Macon and Hinesville are in the same league.
Well It that Case So is Augusta, Savannah and Surely Columbus....

Old 08-01-2009, 11:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
This "Proper Cities" stuff has got to go. They are what they are, consolidated Cities/Counties.

And sorry, but nobody in Bibb County is rushing to join forces with the City of Macon. Why do you think people keep going further and further out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia