Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,103 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Georgia and we are really interested in finding the right city for our family. Currently we have two in high school and one in college; being an african american family we definitely want to make sure we move to a city where we will not experience prejudice. That is why we moved from Miami, Florida to Columbus, OH. Now it is time for us to move on so I can be closer to my parents which will be moving with us after we settle in our new city.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lruff001 View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Georgia and we are really interested in finding the right city for our family. Currently we have two in high school and one in college; being an african american family we definitely want to make sure we move to a city where we will not experience prejudice. That is why we moved from Miami, Florida to Columbus, OH. Now it is time for us to move on so I can be closer to my parents which will be moving with us after we settle in our new city.

Thank you
Please provide more FYI. Are you considering the metro Atlanta area because that is the more diverse/less predjudicial area of the state. The economy is sluggish, to say the least at present, and undertaking such a move without the security of employment would not be advisable, FWIW.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
Do you want the big city, urban lifestyle? Or do you want a smaller city, with many of the features of a larger city, such as shopping, dining, entertainment. The Athens area is pretty good. Area population of about 185,000, (Athens has about 125,000 itself). Quite diverse with the University here. Unemployment is on of the lowest in the state, but, as the previous comment said, the job market, even here, is a bit sluggish. Although there is still plenty of opportunity for the entrepreneur around here. Being caucasian myself, I cannot attest that there is no prejudice. I think that is something you would have to look at for yourself. It is always good to visit an are first before moving there to check things out.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,103 times
Thank you to both of you for giving me such honest responses. We are looking either the outer cities of Atlanta or the northeast side of Atlanta. Being that we are really not that familiar with the Atlanta area I kind of didn't want to go back to a real big city coming from Miami, Florida. I have kind had enough of the big city life. I want to live in a moderate small town, but work in the big city if possible. We were also looking at the Marietta, Dallas, Martinez, Powder Springs, Warner Robins cities.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lruff001 View Post
Thank you to both of you for giving me such honest responses. We are looking either the outer cities of Atlanta or the northeast side of Atlanta. Being that we are really not that familiar with the Atlanta area I kind of didn't want to go back to a real big city coming from Miami, Florida. I have kind had enough of the big city life. I want to live in a moderate small town, but work in the big city if possible. We were also looking at the Marietta, Dallas, Martinez, Powder Springs, Warner Robins cities.
You're not going to find any more prejudice in Georgia than you would in Ohio. Many of the stereotypes of the South are antiquated and obsolete. You would be welcome in Rome.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
My husband and I are relocating to Georgia also, but from Washington State. We are moving to Buford. (to be near Lake Lanier) We were worried about some "things", being an interracial couple. However, after talking with MANY people we are not so worried any longer. I am so excited to get there, into our new home! We will be arriving mid Oct.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 20,298 times
Why not check out Gwinnett county? It is a large (and growing) county that is truly diverse.
Good shopping, restaurants and good access to Atlanta for jobs and city entertainment.
There are homes that will suit any taste and budget.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Please believe the other posters and myself when we tell you to have jobs lined up first. You will hear this many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia