Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sex Offenders as neighbors
Should this happen 1 14.29%
Should you have been told first 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,442 times

Advertisements

I have a reg sex offender living next door to me ( Which I just found out ). I have 2 daughters and he has 1 and they play together all the time. Is he suppose to be living this close to other childeren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,942,436 times
Do you know what his offense was,this is how I would look at my level of alarm.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Do you know what his offense was,this is how I would look at my level of alarm.
Ditto.

You have to remember that in Georgia there are no "levels" of registered offenders on that database - they're clumped together.

His offense could have nothing to do with children, as it would seem unlikely that the courts would allow him to live with a young daughter if his crime had anything at all to do with child molestation or a child-related crime. In other words, he might have been convicted of having sex with a girlfriend 10 years ago and she said it was against her will, etc., and he would be on the same database as someone who molested kids, etc. There should be at least a few details on the listing you found that show what his conviction was for - if not, look it up in other offender databases as many of them show this info.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
The sex offender registry gives some info on why they must register. I would check that first.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,683,291 times
I'm so sorry. I can understand your concern. Is there a website or someplace where you can look up exactly what his crime was? Does your local law enforcement agency have such information?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,104,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeypo View Post
I have a reg sex offender living next door to me ( Which I just found out ). I have 2 daughters and he has 1 and they play together all the time. Is he suppose to be living this close to other childeren?
A "sex offender" in Georgia could be dangerous, or he could have been a 16-year-old boy who was unlucky enough to be caught having sex with a 15-year-old girl before common sense age-related exceptions were put in place.

This site might be helpful in determining the nature of the crime(s) involved:

georgia.gov - Georgia Sex Offender Registry

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM

470 posts, read 1,502,293 times
Check the sex offender registry. That is your best resource. Or, check with the police.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
If it turns out that he is a bad guy, go to the clerk of court and get a copy of the conditions of his probation. In FL, typically they can not reside within 1000 feet (offender) 2500 feet (predator) from a playground or place where children congregate. If they do so, they are violating probation and can be made to move or sent back to jail.

If you feel this to be the case, go to the state attorney and they can file to have him come before the judge. We were successful in getting a just released predator to move from our neighborhood this way. Our park was not on the GIS map that probation & parole used, so a surveyor gave us a free survey and I met the PO, who walked it off with a stick with a little wheel at the end.

We spread the word and two adjoining associations have now got new playgrounds! A win-win situation, IMO.

I hope he's not one of the bad ones, but if so, good luck moving him out.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM

117 posts, read 507,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeypo View Post
Sex offenders are dangerous anywhere. Just yesterday here in Albany a sex offender from Florida attempted to pick up 2 young boys walking home from school, thank God their mom was watching and she confronted the man before he could do anything. He is homeless, and was driving around in a white van waiting outside the school. SCARY STUFF.
Sex offender recently released from prison - WALB.com News, Weather and Sports for Albany, Valdosta and Thomasville. Leading the way for South Georgia. |

Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,823,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
Sex offenders are dangerous anywhere. Just yesterday here in Albany a sex offender from Florida attempted to pick up 2 young boys walking home from school, thank God their mom was watching and she confronted the man before he could do anything. He is homeless, and was driving around in a white van waiting outside the school. SCARY STUFF.
Sex offender recently released from prison - WALB.com News, Weather and Sports for Albany, Valdosta and Thomasville. Leading the way for South Georgia. |
But...as other posters have already pointed out...all sex offenders are not child molesters. There are several categories of sex offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia