Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You could try Tallapoosa in West Georgia. They drop a dead Possum from a lit ball on New Years Eve - sounds like the place!

Forget The Peach, Times Square Ball; Georgia Town Celebrates New Years With Possum Drop - VJ News Story - WSB Atlanta
Thanks Greg. Wasn't having the best day but that story put a smile on my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 61,713 times
Pine Mt.
We have FDR state park.Great camping. Good sites up on the mt for tent/pups or good sites down by the lake for any type camping.

Our boys drive to Thomaston to a place where you pay 20$ for a day of ATV riding.Its about 30 min from PM.Then there are folks who have land if you hook-up with there kids.

30 min form West Point lake where you have camping and great fishing,skiing,boating and so fourth.

Country living.Just good ole boys and folks.

30 to Columbus.
Also home of callway Gardens.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agmx999 View Post
Searched other post couldn't find answer. I'm a single white male 28 years old from North Carolina, thinking of moving to Georgia for several months to a year. I love fishing, camping, hunting, 4 wheelin and only country music. Redneck but not racist. Looking for a town with lots of fun loving good ole boys, down home women and obviously places to fish, camp and go wheelin. Moving soon so any info. would be great. Thanks
Why are you wanting to leave NC...?
Where bouts in NC are you leaving from...
That might help some of the posters who are familier with the area...
Have you already moved...?
If not, then when...?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Maybe Chickamauga or Trenton Ga or a couple of little towns in income tax free TN too. Close to Nickajack for fishing, Pigeon Mtn or Savage Gulf for camping and Aetna Mtn (check it out on utube!) or Prentiss Cooper (not as hard core) for wheelin'. You can come on over to Chattanooga for work if needed. We've got W.E.ROCK :: World Extreme Rockcrawling Championship Series or other series events up near Sale Creek TN just about once a month too. A redneck's dream!

Last edited by jkmewright; 01-15-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Hiram

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Lake City, FL..................

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM

102 posts, read 375,465 times
Willacoochee, GA period.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM

79 posts, read 258,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Hiram
Too funny! We live in Hiram.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM

44 posts, read 245,620 times
Default So you want a Redneck town?

If you're looking for a Redneck area, then trust me on this one. I've lived in this region for almost five years. Even though a lot of my family is from this area, it was a definite culture shock. The areas I am going to list have major hunting, fishing, four-wheelin', dirt roads, pine trees......and country music. Plus, if you want to have solitude, then no one will bother you. You can literally be down here and be left alone.

This area is friendly, but not "community-oriented", if that makes any sense. We've sponsored A LOT of community events and have really reached out to folks, and we have some good friends, but people mostly stay to themselves. We rarely hear from our friends until we call them. They don't call and say, "Hey, let's all go out to eat this weekend". It's not that type of place.

Even though there are some good folks down here, there are a lot of people who are extremely cheap (stingy), sometimes ignorant, bad tippers, lacking in etiquette skills and unable to keep their word on much of anything. Customer service down here is a joke, with the exception of a few "old-timers" who truly understand good business.

Every restaurant we go to, (if we start talking with the waitresses) the waitresses start complaining about the bad tippers down here. They complain and sometimes will stand over you to see how much tip you're going to leave on your credit card, if that's what you are using. I could write a book on the bad manners and gross ignorance that I've witnessed down here. Even if you spend money with certain businesses, they don't seem to care nor appreciate it. This is just the strangest place I've ever lived.

Now, having said all of that, here is Redneck Dreamland:

Vidalia, Lyons, Soperton, Tarrytown, Mount Vernon, Glenwood, Alston, Baxley, Reidsville, McRae, Alamo, Uvalda, Cobbtown, Metter, Kight, Oak Park (really Redneck) and most any area within 50 miles of these towns.

This area is "in the pines". You can purchase a major piece of land on a dirt road and really stay "to yourself". If you want a little more action, you might want to consider moving closer to Statesboro.

We mostly go to Dublin for doctor and dentist appointments, and if we need to go to larger department stores to shop, we go to Macon and Savannah. In all honesty, we love the "quiet" down here; however, this is not a place to make a living unless you work at Plant Hatch or own a business. Consequently, you never really feel as though you "belong" if you're not born and raised down in this area. After all we've done in the community, we still feel like "outsiders". You can make friends down here, but don't expect a lot of contact with them unless you pick up the phone.

This culture doesn't seem to quickly progress or feel the need to improve on much of anything......it's more like living on a cultural and social "Dead-End" road.

If you're coming NOT expecting too much, then you'll be fine. If you just want to "commune with nature" and do the "hunting and fishing" thing, you'll enjoy it. If you're coming to "meet and greet" and find some social interaction, well that's another story. Much to my surprise as well, the cost of living down here and the utilities are not as inexpensive as one might think. Our electric bill, car insurance, and water bill are more expensive down here. Also, you need to consider state income taxes. Georgia state income tax can really put a dent in your finances down here, as well as property taxes. Even rent costs have risen quite a bit since I moved here. I hope this has helped........

NOTE: I would suggest to anyone who has a family with children, to consider somewhere else with a better education system. If I had a child down here, I would either move to another area or place them into a private school. We're seriously considering moving from down here because of the lack of opportunity in this region. We have tried diligently for five years to interact with folks, have community events and start a business, and we feel as though we have no choice but relocation. Now, you may talk to other folks who live here and they are very happy and wouldn't live anywhere else......everybody's different, but you need to understand the reality of this area.

Last edited by Dixie Dawg; 01-23-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,591 times
Me and my cousin have lived in Oak Park for quite a while now, and we feel like yeah, this is a "REDNECK DREAMLAND" but you have just as many opportunities as the rest. You just have to work for it, its just not given to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia