Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM

127 posts, read 748,015 times

Advertisements

thank you for your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,580 times
What similarities do you want? Population, schools, party scene? Athens is pretty unique in a good of course but I guess with such a vague question I would say Augusta, Rome, Columbus, Macon, Savannah, Brunswick, Valdosta, Albany and Bainbridge. Each town is very different but I suppose out of all these Valdosta has the most similar feel to it but is by far a smaller town.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times
The only other city similar to Athens, Ga, (in GA) is the town of Milledgeville, GA. There is a college, tiny shopping mall, wal-mart, k-mart, all the fast food places and a movie. Also, it's close to Lake Oconee for rec. and fun.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,680 times
Well, not a city, but little five points neighborhood in Atlanta

Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM

34 posts, read 135,255 times
Default Somewhat familiar with Athens

I've driven through Athens. I think Perry might be close or similar to Athens.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:11 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,217 times
decatur....

Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 AM

114 posts, read 618,385 times
Hi there,

My wife and I are interested in Decatur, but we're concerned about the expensive housing market. Are there any neighborhoods in Athens that are within walking distance of the downtown, and what kind of price range would you think we could expect if there are?

We really liked L5P in Atlanta, but the crime rate and prices are making us avoid that area. Is Athens really similar to L5P in terms of stuff to do?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
Quote:
Are there any other towns or cities similiar to Athens in GA?
Without any specifics, the general interest in a town like Athens is a an interest in a town like Athens - small town with stuff do because of a large student population. Basically look at college towns around the country and there many similar options.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,830 times
I would have to say Milledgeville, being that they are very high vibe college towns, however the city of Macon, along with Mercer University, Macon State College, Central Georgia Technical College, and Wesleyan College ( all are located within the city of Macon ) are coming together to offer that college vibe city to students within the next 10 years, so expect great things coming out of Macon for college students.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 AM
phy

34 posts, read 150,661 times
I like living in Milledgeville, Ga. It's small but has a SuperWalmart,Krogers, and Piggy Wiggly. Also restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, Golden Coral, Pickle Barrel, IOP, Ruby Tueday's, 2 very good seafood/steak restaurants, and Mexican Restaruants.
The best place to stay in my opinion is Comfort Suites.
We looked for several months for a home and bought in The Oaks at Willow Lake, which actually is not a lake but a huge pond but are big Bass and Catfish, you don't even have to drive to the lake and the houses are alot nicer for the money.
The lake is VERY expensive in my opinion. The houses were twice the amount as they are in Virginia. Hope this will help someone because we have moved around alot, and I know how hard it is to find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia