Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 AM

64 posts, read 191,659 times

Advertisements

I would like to visit The East Coast and need some help.
I've planned a trip to the East Coast starting 07 July 2010 till 22 July 2010.
I arrive in Miami and depart from Philadelphia.
I would like to stay a couple of days in Miami, then visit the Everglades. Hop to Orlando for Disney and Universal. Leave Florida via St-Augustine.
And now comes the problem : what is there to see and visit between Florida and Washington.
What about reservations for hotels or park tickets in general?
Any advise is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm interested in history, culture, nature, monuments and my family likes to go shopping and visit amusement parks

Greetings from Belgium

Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,423,051 times
Visit this website -- ExploreGeorgia.org. It's a good overview of our state. Georgia alone has everything from mountains to seashore. You might want to post in some other state forums also.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 PM

61 posts, read 356,066 times
Frank, there is one major decision that you need to make immediately, and then everything else will fall into place. Do you want to go along the coast or would you rather take a scenic mountainous route inland?

If want to go along the coast, you would visit Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina. Then in North Carolina, you would swing east to the Outer Banks. Here the Wright brothers first flew at Kitty Hawk. And the first English settlement in the New World was attempted, although it is now a mystery known as the “Lost Colony”. From there, you would head up to Tidewater Virginia and the historic area of Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

If you want to go the mountainous route there are several options. One example, you could head to Atlanta and visit the Georgia Aquarium, one of the largest in the world. From there you could go to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park between Tennessee and North Carolina. And from proceed from there into western Virginia.

And be sure to try some regional American food. Check the reviews or search the threads on Roadfood.com to find some of the best local food. Although some of these restaurants are humble, they are good places to experience America.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
Frank, there is one major decision that you need to make immediately, and then everything else will fall into place. Do you want to go along the coast or would you rather take a scenic mountainous route inland?

If want to go along the coast, you would visit Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina. Then in North Carolina, you would swing east to the Outer Banks. Here the Wright brothers first flew at Kitty Hawk. And the first English settlement in the New World was attempted, although it is now a mystery known as the “Lost Colony”. From there, you would head up to Tidewater Virginia and the historic area of Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

If you want to go the mountainous route there are several options. One example, you could head to Atlanta and visit the Georgia Aquarium, one of the largest in the world. From there you could go to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park between Tennessee and North Carolina. And from proceed from there into western Virginia.

And be sure to try some regional American food. Check the reviews or search the threads on Roadfood.com to find some of the best local food. Although some of these restaurants are humble, they are good places to experience America.
Excellent suggestions! Thanks for the webstie Roadfood.com. I love places like this. Frank, let us know when you decide on the route and we can give you some specifics.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Default It'll be a coast trip

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me.
In 1993 I took a trip from Detroit to Orlando and back to the Niagara Falls over the Blue Ridge Parkway.
But now we are traveling with our 2 kids (13 - 15 years old) so driving for hours through nature isn't a good idea.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Don't forget Washington DC.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Wonderful advice that the OP is getting here. I was going to suggest some attractions for the kids:

Jekyll Island - A remarkable, romantic island retreat, miles of beaches, dunes, undisturbed woodlands, fishing, dolphin tours, sea turtles, wading birds, special events, golf, soccer, tennis, bikes, horses

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Homepage

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Frank, I had to laugh when I read about the teenagers! They're the same all over the world, aren't they? I can just see their little faces now. (LOL). Anyway, it sounds like the coastal route will be your better bet. If you decide to venture off this path a bit and go through Atlanta let us know. There are many, many people on the Georgia forum who can give great advice. You might like a side track to Atlanta, which has Six Flags (an amusement park) and tons of shopping. Be sure and eat some BBQ somewhere, it's a very American and Southern thing.

For your visit in July, pack some thin, lightweight clothes. It will be hot and humid, especially along the coast. The southeast, which makes up the bulk of your trip, is famous for its summer heat and humidity. You can counteract the weather by drinking lots of water and Coca Cola and eating delicious ice cream. Write back and let us know how your intinerary is progressing. We love to help out on City - Data!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 AM

I'm still reading all the advise and tips I'm getting from you all. I never thought that I would get some much responds.
I'm putting all the information on a map and then I'll have to make some decisions. It still has to be a fun trip to the US since it is our family summer vacation. I would however like my kids to get some historical and culture information. They would like to visit the parks, MGM or Universal and the beaches. And the wife would like to go shopping and relax.
Not an easy job to satisfy everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia