Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
back in the day before perdue worked hard to ruin this state, the medians were golf turfs!

no more though. they are diverting all funds repaving good roads, like 575, which was repaved last year. Why? There was nothing wrong with it

sadly unmowed medians are what people see. i had friends from canada come down last year and thats the one thing they commented on outright. and considering that half the seaboard drives through GA to get to FL, thats a lot of comments you dont really want to get
I won't go into your "ruin this state" comment, as it's more baseless political vitriole.

As for the substance of mowing the medians...again....we were in a sharp recession. States all over the country are trimming budgets as tax collections dip and the more shortsighted ones are borrowing and raising taxes. When you have priorities to decide, and you have to make a choice between mowing medians for purely cosmetic reasons and laying off employees or cutting real services, to me it's a no brainer. As mentioned, do you not think states like FL are making these same decisions?

Last edited by neil0311; 02-08-2010 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
So I just drove to Charlotte to visit my parents and the overgrown medians have gotten out of control in Georgia. Both South Carolina and North Carolina still mow their highways (and both states had freshly mowed highways during my trip). I was also up I-75 in Cobb and Cherokee Counties and gosh, it looks terrible. It just makes me sad that our state looks abandoned and unkempt - just gives people a negative perception.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Unfortunately, mowing tends to reveal the amounts of litter along our roads. Awful! And pick most any highway and it is there in large amounts. I guess the weeds cover it up. Maybe our state does deserve a negative view. It surely has been trashed.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
And pick most any highway and it is there in large amounts. I guess the weeds cover it up. Maybe our state does deserve a negative view. It surely has been trashed.[/b]
No more than any other state. I've driven all over the country, and I wouldn't rank GA any worse on that front.

What I do find interesting is why you see many more shredded tires in this part of the country than in others. Road debris, especially blown out truck tires, is much more pronounced here than in other places. Don't know if it's climate related, regulation related, inspection related, etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No more than any other state. I've driven all over the country, and I wouldn't rank GA any worse on that front.

What I do find interesting is why you see many more shredded tires in this part of the country than in others. Road debris, especially blown out truck tires, is much more pronounced here than in other places. Don't know if it's climate related, regulation related, inspection related, etc.
In many northern states, the snow plows get rid of that stuff year after year.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,984 times
Default ga. highways

In SC, especially around Charleston, the prisoners maintain the medians. Yes, South Carolinians actually make their prisoners work for their keep! Drive along Hwy 17 in Mount Pleasant and you'll see trees and shrubs are pruned, grass cut, and no debris or litter. Charleston also is strict on littering. Litter, and be prepared to pay a hefty fine!.....Now why can't we do this in Georgia?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
GA uses plenty prison labor, but most of it is actually part of community service sentences. I see them all the time bagging the garbage.

Mowing requires operating and maintaining heavy equipment which requires trained personel and is also a liability with "criminals" for a variety of reasons.

But of course, it just costs money to mow grass and currently money is better spent on election campaigns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: