Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,377 times

Advertisements

I was passing through oliver city when i came to a curve turning slightly to the right. The speed sign before the curve said 55 mph then right after turn went to 45 mph then 35 mph real fast at the curve a cops lights turned on right across the street ( note, there was a black car in front of him talking to him but heading towards him i was in plain view after the turn i was not, so his speed caught was in 55 zone not 35 zone, 35 zone was were i stopped) and the cop pulled me over. he said i was doing 59 in a 35 but i was below 35 before i passed the 35 mph sign, plus how can i find out when he checked my speed? DAMN tickets 370 dollars, the cleric on the phone only wanted my speed limit, didnt ask for my name or anything like she already new were i was caught.

I was polite to the officer cause i didnt want it to be worse so i took the ticket but this aint right. Can anyone help me? did i mention from the time his lights came on till i was pulled over which started right before the 45 mph zone i was braking the whole time, so if we calculate this in how was i still doing 59 in a 35?

Last edited by iczerone; 02-24-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
It will say on the ticket the exact spot he clocked you at. But in any case, it is very probable it was 500 feet within his position so you can just go and measure and see for yourself.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 34,527 times
Good luck trying to fight that. The local municipalities are counting on speeding tickets to shore up local revenue shortfalls, so unless you are a local you will probably have to cough up the cash. Public safety is no longer the guiding factor. BTW - if possible , have the cash when you go to court. Going on probation ( paying the ticket in installments ) can cost more than $ 40 per month. If short on cash, you may want to request a jury trial - this will delay payment, and may give you the time to raise it. By the way - this is a criminal trial and they will ask if you need or want a lawyer. Might want to take the court appointed lawyer to delay payment and perhaps get a lower fine and points.

From one who just went through this !

Last edited by greybo; 03-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: sticky keyboard means misspelling !

Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM

trial by jury can only be given in superior court, usually the county court.

if you lose though, you get nailed with court fees. guess how much those fees can add up to. it delays nothing and they do not even have to grant you such on administrative offense (one carrying no prison sentence).

Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Jefferson, Washington, and Johnson countise will try by jury . And they appoint a lawyer for your defense if needed. Don't know about Superior court, but I met with this Jefferson county court in January 2010.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,381 times
The deck is stacked against you. The only thing you can do is bring a tv reporter with you.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
greybo is spot on regarding the revenue thing. this is increasing and will get worse as smaller towns especially do everything they can to raise money. i gather "you ain't from around here" applies too. when i get the hint that i am approaching one of these "villes" i start a significant slowing down process. sorry for those behind me, but tickets are expensive as is insurance. i'll let the guy behind whip out behind me and catch the "nice" officer down the road.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybo View Post
Jefferson, Washington, and Johnson countise will try by jury . And they appoint a lawyer for your defense if needed. Don't know about Superior court, but I met with this Jefferson county court in January 2010.
Did you win?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Did you win?
I was not prepared for this court. I just went in to try to reduce the fine. I pled guilty at the start. Only later did I find out about how to delay the case to my advantage.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 AM

Ok.. Reducing it is as much winning as you will ever get in these courts, period. So, did you get it reduced/moved to local ordinance/ misc violation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia