Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM

7 posts, read 23,241 times

Advertisements

I'm divorced, over 40, live in ATL suburb and wanting to go on a short roadtrip. Looking for a place to spend 2-3 days. Driving and not wanting to drive longer than 3-4 hours. Anyone know of a destination? Going out of my element here, don't usually like to do things on my own. I mention that I am single because many destinations are better with a partner/friend. I would like to do something affordable and interesting/fun. Keep in mind I am going around Spring Break time and do not want to meet up with the college scene.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 AM

199 posts, read 627,811 times
have you considered Savannah??

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Can you give me ideas of what is in Savannah to see/do? I haven't traveled much outside of my area Suwanee/Johns Creek.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirl21 View Post
Can you give me ideas of what is in Savannah to see/do? I haven't traveled much outside of my area Suwanee/Johns Creek.
Savannah is quite beautiful on its own with all of the old buildings, the little parks all over ("squares"), and the beautiful trees with Spanish moss, etc. There are a number of beautiful old hotels and Bed & Breakfasts in the area, also.

There are carriage rides, ghost tours, the ocean is only 15 miles or so away (Tybee Island, etc.), and there are various other things you can visit. The Wormsloe Plantation is a very pretty drive if you like seeing Spanish moss, and Bonaventure Cemetery is a really beautiful old cemetery near the city.

It's a rather romantic location, actually, at least for visiting. I dunno what it's like to actually live there...

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
NC mountains. boone, banner elk, asheville. If you want to get snowed in, do hit banner elk.

Otherwise.. hmm.. moultrie and sparks ga. both homes to 2 fantastic ga diary companies that have shops on site. if you like milk, a must go to (bring a huge cooler)

i wouldn't go to savannah in the winter. it is best seen when fully leafed.

rock mountain in chattanooga is cool to see, at least once. not sure if the caves are open this time of year.

calloway gardens and that zoo down there are great, but not at this time of year.

if you do go to savannah, go to the riverfront. the reast is really historic houses. it's a great city to study if you are a historian. touristy parts are around the river.

just some places off the top of my head.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you so much. Those are all GREAT ideas. I'm considering Savannah. Anyone know of a great place to stay????

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post

i wouldn't go to savannah in the winter. it is best seen when fully leafed.
Fully leafed? The old oaks with spanish moss don't lose their leaves in the winter.

FYI to anyone interested: The cheapest time to come to Savannah is during the winter. Great rates.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirl21 View Post
Thank you so much. Those are all GREAT ideas. I'm considering Savannah. Anyone know of a great place to stay????

I strongly suggest staying downtown. Though rates may be cheaper by the airport and in midtown or the south side, you'll get a true feel for the city when you stay downtown. Plus, parking is hard to find and you get by a lot easier walking around.

If you want to stay some place elegant but modern, I'd suggest staying at either the Avia hotel or the Bohemian.
For something more historic and with more of a true Savannah feel, I suggest the Marshall House.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM

199 posts, read 627,811 times
i like the hilton gardens on bay street. 1/2 block from market square and 1 block from the riverfront. only about 2 blocks from paula deens resturant if that kinda thing is for you. you can eat a lot better for 1/2 the price in market square. or actually anywhere else!! lol!! the staff is super great and it is only around $100 per night.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Fully leafed? The old oaks with spanish moss don't lose their leaves in the winter.

FYI to anyone interested: The cheapest time to come to Savannah is during the winter. Great rates.
theres a lot more to it than some trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia