Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times

Advertisements

Being a geography major, I can assure that Georgia and other eastern states indeed have real mountains, which is defined as a land form that has at least 1000 feet of topographical prominence, i.e., an increase of at least 1000 feet from the base of the mountain to the summit, of which Brasstown Bald certainly qualifies.

And besides, our mountains are prettier than the ones out west, seeing how they're forest-covered and all - anyone who's climbed Mt LeConte can certainly attest to this.

And yes, the mountains of north GA and especially western NC get a LOT of snow, over a 100 inches in some years...that's more than Denver gets in a typical winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Being a geography major, I can assure that Georgia and other eastern states indeed have real mountains, which is defined as a land form that has at least 1000 feet of topographical prominence, i.e., an increase of at least 1000 feet from the base of the mountain to the summit, of which Brasstown Bald certainly qualifies.

And besides, our mountains are prettier than the ones out west, seeing how they're forest-covered and all - anyone who's climbed Mt LeConte can certainly attest to this.

And yes, the mountains of north GA and especially western NC get a LOT of snow, over a 100 inches in some years...that's more than Denver gets in a typical winter.
Camp Frank D. Merrill

The Army's trains Rangers for mountain warfare outside Dahlonega.
'The training Ranger students receive at Camp Merrill and the surrounding North Georgia Mountains will enable them to successfully operate in any mountainous environment. '

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 678 times
Default Better Oppoutunities

I am currently residing in Peoria Illinois. Their are not a lot of opportunities for someone who made stupid decisions in their life a long time ago. My felony is over 7 yrs old and i have not been in any trouble since then. I feel like a dark cloud is over my head here and I want more out of life for me and my children. I want to make a home in Atlanta. My oldest son is 13 and there is nothing here for young boys to do or get involved in. I want to know about schools for my children age 13 to 8. I want to know about schools for me. I am 31 and a very hard worker. If I come to Atlanta and get a regular job and work on my career will we survive? There is nothing here for me and my family. I know there are better opportunities.I just don't know how to put in action and make the necessary steps and where to go with a budget like mine. I need good schools and reasonable living. Can anyone help a single mother with high expectations for my sons.
I want them to excel AND GIVE THEM ALL THE OPPORTUNITIES IN THE WORLD! Is this possible in Atlanta?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
There is a separate Atlanta forum. I suggest you post your message there. Many folks here don't live in Atlanta so their info is more guesswork than factual. Hopefully, you will run into someone in similar circumstances and made the move there. I wish you all the best.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanisha Johnson View Post
I am currently residing in Peoria Illinois. Their are not a lot of opportunities for someone who made stupid decisions in their life a long time ago. My felony is over 7 yrs old and i have not been in any trouble since then. I feel like a dark cloud is over my head here and I want more out of life for me and my children. I want to make a home in Atlanta. My oldest son is 13 and there is nothing here for young boys to do or get involved in. I want to know about schools for my children age 13 to 8. I want to know about schools for me. I am 31 and a very hard worker. If I come to Atlanta and get a regular job and work on my career will we survive? There is nothing here for me and my family. I know there are better opportunities.I just don't know how to put in action and make the necessary steps and where to go with a budget like mine. I need good schools and reasonable living. Can anyone help a single mother with high expectations for my sons.
I want them to excel AND GIVE THEM ALL THE OPPORTUNITIES IN THE WORLD! Is this possible in Atlanta?
Yes it IS possible in Atlanta! People on these forums will try to discourage you by saying "don't move here without a job, without knowing people, without a plan, without money saved up" and while that's all true, I would never just tell a single mom looking for a better life for her kids not to try. Compared to many places, Georgia is still a promised land and there are opportunities here ... not as easily available as in the past, but available.

Considering your background, however, the first question that must be asked: Can you move legally? Are you on probation? Do you have custody or child support issues? If you can't leave Illinois for these reasons, then the discussion is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: