Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 PM

77 posts, read 414,299 times

Advertisements

Well, I have not posted in a while other then today. I live in Va. Beach and my fiance lives in Flint. I refuse to live in Flint, no offense to Flint folks. I finally have a telephone interview in GR with a certain Medical institution this coming Thursday. BUT.....what in the world is going on with the Gov. Just when I finally made the plunge to actively pursue a job in GR the Gov. apparently wants to raise the income tax and I read on MLive that the GRPS is losing students apparently due to the economy situation, people leaving. Now....I know most folks feel the medical field is a great occupation in terms of job security...in general. But if people leave then there are fewer folks to treat medically and cutbacks start, just like any business. If taxes are raised, companies go else where. I am already making plenty of sacrifices by losing my seniority, sick time, vacation time etc. , not complaining there, its just that now I have to figure in the income tax increase and who knows what else the Gov. will dish out. From my visits (3 times) I like GR, but I only see it from the surface. I am strongly considering buying a house or condo in the downtown area, very nice and affordable. So if someone could chime in and put my fears to ease (economically) I would appreciate it. If offered and I accept the job, I will be there in 30 days. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
Well, I have not posted in a while other then today. I live in Va. Beach and my fiance lives in Flint. I refuse to live in Flint, no offense to Flint folks. I finally have a telephone interview in GR with a certain Medical institution this coming Thursday. BUT.....what in the world is going on with the Gov. Just when I finally made the plunge to actively pursue a job in GR the Gov. apparently wants to raise the income tax and I read on MLive that the GRPS is losing students apparently due to the economy situation, people leaving. Now....I know most folks feel the medical field is a great occupation in terms of job security...in general. But if people leave then there are fewer folks to treat medically and cutbacks start, just like any business. If taxes are raised, companies go else where. I am already making plenty of sacrifices by losing my seniority, sick time, vacation time etc. , not complaining there, its just that now I have to figure in the income tax increase and who knows what else the Gov. will dish out. From my visits (3 times) I like GR, but I only see it from the surface. I am strongly considering buying a house or condo in the downtown area, very nice and affordable. So if someone could chime in and put my fears to ease (economically) I would appreciate it. If offered and I accept the job, I will be there in 30 days. Thanks guys.
GRPS is blaming declining enrollment on people leaving the state, but in all honesty, suburban GR districts and the local charter schools are up pretty much across the board. I think everyone here has mentioned to be cautious about Grand Rapids Public Schools. They are trying to blame their issues on economic factors, but it's not necessarily the case.

I'm sure you're talking about this article (read the last 1/2 of the article):

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Grand Rapids is not a "boom-town" by any measure, but it is holding its own in Michigan and in the Midwest:

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Hope that helps Virginia1!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM

136 posts, read 482,231 times
If you make the move I'd probably rent for a while. I don't know about GR specifically, but in my area renting is usually cheaper than buying. You'd have to get a substantial mortgage interest deduction to come out ahead. MI doesn't have any idemized deductions either. So any tax savings are federal only. Also, renting gives you more time to explore the area better and maybe get a better deal on a for-sale-by-owner. There are lots of them in MI as many are barely able to recover what they owe let alone pay realtor commisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area