Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,068,190 times

Advertisements

Studio Park movie complex financing gets final nod from city commission | MLive.com

Downtown Movie theater/mixed use project just got final approval from the city, according to the article the close on the property today. Does know when they are expected to start construction? $110 million price tag is one of the biggest developments in recent memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM

https://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/i...r-office-tower

Franklin Partners planning an office building as part of studio park. Someone needs to tell the writing staff at MiBiz that 7 floors is NOT an office tower. I REALLY like this design and hope they get some out of the park tenants for it. This may be my favorite design in the last 15 years.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:13 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
https://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/i...r-office-tower

Franklin Partners planning an office building as part of studio park. Someone needs to tell the writing staff at MiBiz that 7 floors is NOT an office tower. I REALLY like this design and hope they get some out of the park tenants for it. This may be my favorite design in the last 15 years.
Haha, right?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM

Another riverfront hotel coming to downtown Grand Rapids | MLive.com

Another Hotel going in on the river, Staybridge Suites. Although the location of this one is a bit odd being right next to the WODA LIHTC project west of the river on Front Street. A whole lot of nothing going on that side of the river it's basically a pedestrian dead zone. I do like the look of this building. Maybe the developers are expecting that strip between 131 and the river to become a new development hot spot? I'm sure they got the land pretty cheap compared to other more active zones.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Grand Rapids officials target Dan Gilbert-scale tax incentive for 201 Market | MLive.com

City looking to acquire the same mega brownfield credits for the 201 Market St. development that were granted to Detroit for Dan Gilberts mega development. This is the development where the city took RFQ's for premium land along the river where a bunch of city services currently sit. Right now that neighborhood is a dead zone. I think it would be awesome if this comes to fruition although I have my doubts about current market conditions for something this big. That is unless they are able to land a major corporate tenant like a Kellogg's looking to escape Battle Creek or something.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM

GR to raze former Red Lion restaurant, revive site - WOODTV

Another big eyesore going away as the West Side continues to surge. Does anyone know when they are planning on starting the work on this?

Also I wonder if Kales Korner will go as well. It's going to be the last ugly building on that block. Perhaps it's ownership will renovate it to look less dumpy.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:44 AM

Below is a picture of Warner Tower from Calder Plaza you can see the elevator cores for Hyatt Place behind it. This is my favorite piece of infill in Grand Rapids over the last several years. The location and size of this development change the feel of the entire downtown core IMO. Although as the studio C development rises that might take the favorite spot.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Grand Rapids officials target Dan Gilbert-scale tax incentive for 201 Market | MLive.com

City looking to acquire the same mega brownfield credits for the 201 Market St. development that were granted to Detroit for Dan Gilberts mega development. This is the development where the city took RFQ's for premium land along the river where a bunch of city services currently sit. Right now that neighborhood is a dead zone. I think it would be awesome if this comes to fruition although I have my doubts about current market conditions for something this big. That is unless they are able to land a major corporate tenant like a Kellogg's looking to escape Battle Creek or something.
I wouldn't want any of our small towns in Michigan to lose their headquarters of their major employer/home-grown corporation (e.g Midland/Dow & Whirlpool/Monroe). In the Detroit area, a number of companies are moving from the suburbs to downtown - which is great for downtown and a correction to the poaching by the suburbs that had been common in the past 50 years - but Detroit and Grand Rapids need to look out-of-state for landing corporate re-locations. For example, companies wanting to escape the high taxes and financially instability of Chicago or the extraordinarily high cost of living of San Francisco or Southern California.

I wouldn't mind Kellogg's putting one of these in downtown Detroit though

PS, it looks like Gordon Foods is opening a store near the east riverfront in Detroit and Meijer is building a "Meijer Express" on the east riverfront as well, so I greatly appreciate Grand Rapids-area based companies (including long-standing SpartanNash) for investing in the city of Detroit!

Last edited by usroute10; 06-07-2018 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: proper grammar

Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I wouldn't want any of our small towns in Michigan to lose their headquarters of their major employer/home-grown corporation (e.g Midland/Dow & Whirlpool/Monroe). In the Detroit area, a number of companies are moving from the suburbs to downtown - which is great for downtown and a correction to the poaching by the suburbs that had been common in the past 50 years - but Detroit and Grand Rapids need to look out-of-state for landing corporate re-locations. For example, companies wanting to escape the high taxes and financially instability of Chicago or the extraordinarily high cost of living of San Francisco or Southern California.

I wouldn't mind Kellogg's putting one of these in downtown Detroit though

PS, it looks like Gordon Foods is opening a store near the east riverfront in Detroit and Meijer is building a "Meijer Express" on the east riverfront as well, so I greatly appreciate Grand Rapids-area based companies (including long-standing SpartanNash) for investing in the city of Detroit!
Whoops, I meant to say "La-Z-boy/Monroe", not Whirlpool/Monroe. Whirlpool is HQ'ed in Benton Harbor.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Well I wasn't intending to suggest that I want Kellogg to abandon Battle Creek for Grand Rapids. The back story for that comment had to do with Kellogg's struggles to recruit talent to Battle Creek, and how they have opened satellite offices in places like GR as a recruiting tool.

There have been a flurry of relocations to bigger cities for progressive companies like Kellogg's. Several in Illinois have left the smaller cities in favor of Chicago. While I would hate for them to abandon Battle Creek, if they were to decide that they needed greener pastures for survival, I'd rather them choose another city in Michigan vs. leave for Chicago or somewhere, and have the state as a whole lose one of it's Fortune 500 Companies.

To be clear I have not heard any mention of Kellogg's looking to relocate anywhere so I think Battle Creek is probably safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area