Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Interesting numbers, where do they come from? The one's I looked at stated California has been growing at about the same rate the past few years, with the larger cities still growing, but not as fast. San Jose is poised to be over a million people, San Fran at about the highest it has ever been.
It depends on what part of California we are comparing the conservative city of GR to. I'd say San Fran is much more diverse, as is LA. I don't think New Port Beach is more diverse per say, but it certainly isn't as conservative as far as fashion, money, and trends are concerned. That does not mean they do not vote for republicans, it means their outlook socially isn't as sheltered.
California Population and Components of Change

Far right column is "net domestic migration", meaning: the number of people arriving minus the people leaving. A negative number means there are more people leaving than arriving. They take whatever that number is, add in international immigration, add in births, subtract deaths, and that's how they arrive at the net population gain (or loss). People are fleeing California in droves, heading to Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and a slew of other destinations. It doesn't matter how diverse or "unsheltered" it is, very few can afford to live there anymore.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,641 times
The population overall increased year over year. The net migration of 263000 represents a decline, true, but it is less then one percent of the population. It also accounts for the entire state, so comparing Grand Rapids to the entire state of California makes little sense. Besides, you just stated they were allegedly leaving because the cost is so high, not because the state is lacking diversity,which is the impression you gave when we first started this portion of the forum.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
The population overall increased year over year. The net migration of 263000 represents a decline, true, but it is less then one percent of the population. It also accounts for the entire state, so comparing Grand Rapids to the entire state of California makes little sense. Besides, you just stated they were allegedly leaving because the cost is so high, not because the state is lacking diversity,which is the impression you gave when we first started this portion of the forum.
I'm not comparing Grand Rapids to the entire state of California. You suggested someone move to California. I'm only suggesting that 300,000 more people leaving the state than arriving would probably challenge your suggestion, for whatever reasons. Also, I never suggested California lacked diversity. Some people might be leaving California because of "too much" diversity (racial strife, too much Mexican immigration, etc.).

Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM

195 posts, read 972,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
People are fleeing California in droves, heading to Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and a slew of other destinations. It doesn't matter how diverse or "unsheltered" it is, very few can afford to live there anymore.

Oh absolutely! I recently moved back to MI from southern California BECAUSE it was too expensive. For far less $$, I can afford a better quality of life (in most respects), and have time to enjoy life rather than work work work to make ends meet. Plus no rush hour traffic hell to deal with.

In addition, sure I loved the diversity, but I think the idea of "legal" immigration works better for me than simply sneaking across the border. excuse my saying, but America is not be a landfill for the world's riff-raff. Come here legally, pay taxes and obey the laws and I'll welcome you with open arms.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM

lol, too many hispanics now means an area has too much diversity?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
lol, too many hispanics now means an area has too much diversity?
Don't shoot the messenger. Just go read the California section of this forum.

I think it has more to do with illegal immigration, as windfarmer said. Although much of it also might be racial prejudice.

But believe it or not, there are those who seek diversity, and probably just as many who move away from it.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Agreed.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM

181 posts, read 607,384 times
GR is a great place to live for people in the healthcare industry. The average pay for heathcare outpaces most other states in the country, and the cost of living is on the low end for places with good schools.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Net migration out of CA is a fraction of the population. You guys should talk percentages vs absolute numbers when comparing diff states. It makes the discussions more meaningful.

Go East, young man? Californians look for the exit - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090112/ap_on_re_us/fleeing_california_3 - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Net migration out of CA is a fraction of the population. You guys should talk percentages vs absolute numbers when comparing diff states. It makes the discussions more meaningful.

Go East, young man? Californians look for the exit - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090112/ap_on_re_us/fleeing_california_3 - broken link)
Yes, it was about -1% in 2008. But you have to realize that population growth/decline over a one year period is usually measured in fractions of a percent. Fast growing states or metro areas grow by about 1.5 - 2% a year.

Even fast growing states like Arizona have positive net migration of about 1.5% a year. So when it comes to people moving in vs. moving out, California is the exact opposite of states like Arizona.

Births/deaths don't indicate anything regarding an economy. Many 3rd world countries have 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratios (or higher). It just means people are having too many babies.

But isn't this thread about Western Michigan people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area