Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Boomer here and I have never heard of a Grandma Baby Shower.
Ditto. I have, however, gone to baby showers (when the Boomers were booming in the baby department) and given a gift to the grandmother-to-be because I knew her and because I wanted to.

Condemn away, America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on, Ivory! You're obviously a Boomer; I'm a Boomer; there are many Boomers on this thread and none of us have ever heard of this. I'd be willing to bet it's the party industry folks who are pushing this. The linked article itself says these showers aren't real popular among moms themselves.
I'm not talking about the boomers. I don't know any boomers who would do this. Most of my friends have been grand parents for several years now.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not talking about the boomers. I don't know any boomers who would do this. Most of my friends have been grand parents for several years now.
Then who ARE you talking about? The youngest Boomers are just turning 50 this year! The oldest Gen Xers are 49. Not too many of them grandparents yet, with the average marriage age in the late 20s these days.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
It just sounds like an excuse for a "gift grab". Congratulations are appropriate, yes. But why does the grandmother need gifts? (And what about the grandfather? Or the aunts- and uncles-to-be?)

Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 PM

118 posts, read 157,333 times
Five years ago when a long time co-worker & close personal friend was battling a vicious cancer and expecting a first grandchild, I gave her a (surprise) Grandma shower. It was so wonderful to have a fun reason to celebrate with her and her family.

It was supposed to be "come & spend the evening celebrating the coming birth," but of course everyone brought the most wonderful gifts.

So many friends and co-workers packed into my house and showered them with baby gifts, many of which ended up being for her home as baby was there as much as possible.

She lived to see the baby turn 1 year old and the "Grandma shower" was fondly remember in the eulogy. I have never given another grandma shower, but that a special moment for all of us.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM

291 posts, read 377,730 times
My mother in law had one of those announcement storks put in her own yard when I had a baby & did'nt get one for ours.

So this grandma shower thing does not really surprise me. I really hope it doesn't catch on. When did this become about the "grandma experience" and not about the newborn and new family?!?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
My mother in law had one of those announcement storks put in her own yard when I had a baby & did'nt get one for ours.

So this grandma shower thing does not really surprise me. I really hope it doesn't catch on. When did this become about the "grandma experience" and not about the newborn and new family?!?
It really depends....several of my mother's friends gave her gifts when my daughter was born 20 years ago.....just supplies she could have when she was with her grandchild....I really don't see the issue. It's not a competition and didn't your friends give you gifts?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
If I received an invitation to a Grandma Baby Shower, it would go straight into the trash.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:26 PM

291 posts, read 377,730 times
One scenario (the only one really) that this would make sense to me is if grandma were going to be caring for the child while mom was at work & needed pretty much all supplies at her home as well as the baby's mom & dad's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents