Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times

Advertisements

First, the OP is wrong assuming that most in the services come from low class backgrounds, and have no education. I would say a vast majority of service members are from middle class families. Also, as an ex military recruiter, most of the people I put in had some college.

Now onto the point about a draft. I support it. If the public feared getting drafted into the military, there would be more public outcry over the never ending spread of empire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Now onto the point about a draft. I support it. If the public feared getting drafted into the military, there would be more public outcry over the never ending spread of empire...
...And goes against the very basis on which this country is supposed to be grounded. Fear should not be used as a tool to get what you want. Seems contradictory to me. Giving the government more control would decrease the 'spread of empire'?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
I'd rather just see a mandatory 2 year service commitment by both genders upon hitting 18, or 16 if they drop out of school. Give them some options to spread it around maybe like 4 years in the reserves as an alternative or something.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
...And goes against the very basis on which this country is supposed to be grounded. Fear should not be used as a tool to get what you want. Seems contradictory to me. Giving the government more control would decrease the 'spread of empire'?
It could go either way, I guess. The way I look at it, is the government would not be able to create perpetual wars if people were drafted into them. If you join the military today, you expect to go to war. Seems nobody questions it. However, if the average Joe was drafted to go to war, the support for our foreign policy would soon diminish. It would create a shift in the way our country deals with overseas issues...

Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
FYI we have been down this road at least once or twice on this site, but anyway, in short:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. No one wants to owe up to it, but there is a quality problem among many recruits in the armed services. We have those who haven't completed schooling, those who have committed petty crimes, and other people who are less than committed to serving their country.
Sorry but this is a ridiculous myth, and in fact the military has gotten a lot pickier in recent years, generally speaking.

Quote:
2. It would be good for young people to have to accept some sort of responsibility or committment in terms of defending and protecting the nation. We have emphasized freedom in our country for so long that a huge number of people have no concept that there are actually responsibilities that go along with this.
Also water is wet, but well said and IMO it can't be said enough. Sadly, far too many idiots out there don't get that freedom isn't free and want someone else to pay the price, all the while whining how bad this country is. ie losers who are as spoiled as they are stupid.

Quote:
3. There are too many people in the military to earn rewards and benefits rather than to serve their country. The country shouldn''t have to bribe people with huge benefits to get them to do that which is their duty.
And they don't. Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to being in the military, but it's hardly a get-rich scheme.

Quote:
4. It would lead to less involvement in wars we shouldn't be fighting. If the sons of the rich and middle class were all forced to serve this country we would be having a real debate about whether its worth continuing the fight in Afghanistan and other places.
I'm sorry but you are tragically out of touch/misinformed about the military. The the sons (and daughters) of the rich and middle class are already throughout the military.

Quote:
5. It would promote greater tolerance and cause more unity among our countrymen. The military is a vast melting pot. It would give the rich kid from the Hamptons in New York an opportunity to meet and understand poor kids who grew up in Watts in Southern California.
Again, this is already going on and has been for many years.

Quote:
6. It is morally wrong that only the poor and less educated serve (and perhaps die) for their country in the military while the rich and middle class avoid service. This country belongs to ALL of us and All of us need to do our part.
See #4.

Quote:
Age shouldn't be away out of the draft either.
To an extent, yeah it should. Since all military members are supposed to be able to "fight" in some way or other if necessary, not a brilliant idea to have old people in (old people which also incidentally tend to have more medical problems).

Old 10-02-2010, 04:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
[quote=markg91359;16100356]I say it would be a good thing. Here's why:
4. It would lead to less involvement in wars we shouldn't be fighting. If the sons of the rich and middle class were all forced to serve this country we would be having a real debate about whether its worth continuing the fight in Afghanistan and other places. The President wouldn't get a blank check from Congress to engage in such conflicts where there are at best marginal gains to be had for our country and society.QUOTE]

The draft should be reinstated. Point #4 is a great reason for the draft.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I believe there should be no draft. However, I do believe the military should be used as an alternative to failed parenting in this society. As early as sixth grade, it becomes apparent that the parents did not instill in their kid the love for educational achievement and a thirst for knowledge. These kids are not excelling in school or don't value school. They instead resort to criminal activities and gangbanging. Better to enlist them for a long-term commitment so they can serve this country and become productive citizens.

I think any kid who joins a gang is screaming to become involved in military service. Enlisting this way in additional to voluntary service would suffice to keep our military well-supported and keep the misguided youth off the streets.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Arguments for a Military Draft

Well, in the mid 60's on Parris Island, it was the draft coming off of the swamp side that cooled down the air as we slept at night. Of course, we were so tired by time Taps sounded, I think we would have slept anywhere.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM

50 posts, read 110,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I say it would be a good thing. Here's why:

1. No one wants to owe up to it, but there is a quality problem among many recruits in the armed services. We have those who haven't completed schooling, those who have committed petty crimes, and other people who are less than committed to serving their country.

3. There are too many people in the military to earn rewards and benefits rather than to serve their country. The country shouldn''t have to bribe people with huge benefits to get them to do that which is their duty.

So, you think that people who are forced to be there will be more commited than those who volunteered?

You do realize that mandatory service will undoubtedly LOWER the quality of service that you are complaining about?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I believe there should be no draft. However, I do believe the military should be used as an alternative to failed parenting in this society.
I couldn't agree more! Ship all the irresponsible/worthless parents to the most dangerous of the front lines. Or just air drop them over there wherever. It would do our society and the world (and their kids, for that matter) a HUGE favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates