Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM

210 posts, read 744,791 times

Advertisements

What is the problem with being gay, male or female, and being in the military? I do not know what the issue is. What do you think about it and why does it cause such an uproar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Because its icky.

Seriously, its because wether we admit it or not sex is a strong emotional thing in human beings & theres enough for people to think about in a war without worrying about who wants to poke who in the butt ect.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 10,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because its icky.

Seriously, its because wether we admit it or not sex is a strong emotional thing in human beings & theres enough for people to think about in a war without worrying about who wants to poke who in the butt ect.
If that is a concern of policy makers then they would not allow women into the military. Your argument concerning "who wants to poke who in the butt" doesn't pass muster because men serve alongside women.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Because its icky.

They aren't going to dress in cut of BDU's, doing their best impression of Big Gay Al.

No, they'll conform to the same standards as the rest of the military. If you know anyone serving, then you'd know that most everyone in now already knows who is gay, and who is straight.

The only reason gays aren't allowed to serve openly, is homophobia and religious ideals bleeding into places they shouldn't be in.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,300 times
Gays can be in the military, right? Just don't ask, don't tell.

But it would probably be best if they wore the correct clothing for their gender. You know, men wearing men's clothing and women wearing women's clothing. Or at least the outer garments. Who cares what kind of underpants they wear.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
What is the problem with being gay, male or female, and being in the military? I do not know what the issue is. What do you think about it and why does it cause such an uproar?
The military tends to attract the low lifes into the rank and file. Low lifes will refuse to tolerate anything or anyone that doesn't fit in with their "upbringing." That includes gays and foreign made pickup trucks.

Rest assured though that many a homosexual has given their life for this country.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
The military tends to attract the low lifes into the rank and file. Low lifes will refuse to tolerate anything or anyone that doesn't fit in with their "upbringing." That includes gays and foreign made pickup trucks.

Rest assured though that many a homosexual has given their life for this country.
Spoken like someone who has never been in the military.

The men and women I served with were some of the finest human beings I ever had the privilege of knowing.

Low-lifes my butt.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Because its icky.

There are already gays in the military, fighting for you and your right to express your homophobic views.

Why shouldn't it be a big deal? Because the military is supposed to represent EVERYONE and gays are a part of the population. Thus, they have every right to be there whether or not someone else thinks they're "icky".

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been in the military.

The men and women I served with were some of the finest human beings I ever had the privilege of knowing.

Low-lifes my butt.
Any position of authority will attract low-lives; the military and law enforcement are full of them. They're not all in it for the greater good, some are in it for permission to control and dominate. This is not meant to be an attack on both as a whole or the people you have known, but if you think there is no bigotry or abuse in the military, you have only seen what they wanted you to see. They're not going to advertise it.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,593 times
It's more than sex, get a grip. And it's more than lack of reliance from the military objective. It's all about villifying people and making it appear that they are less than they are. But clearly it does present day to day practical issues. I'd prefer to rely on a homosexual that does his/her job for the military unit than an egotistical nightmare of a jerk that does as he/she sees fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates