Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
r u serious? try sharing a wall next to a constantly smoking tenant,have asthma ,and then expound on how second hand smoke DOES NOT affect one's health!!!
If it was that much of an issue for myself I would live in place that didn't allow smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM

And I can find all kinds of studies that will dispute them....

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
The govt tried the alcohol ban. It blew up in their face.

I don't want to veer off course, but the money being blown on the DEA, ATF, and now local police depts gearing up like jack-booted thugs is a joke that most people can see right through.
At this point with cigarette taxes so high I figure I could sell the one I roll myself at $3 or $4 per pack which is $2 or $3 profit. Probably take an hour to make a carton right now but If I was going to be making a lot of them I'd streamline the process and probably could bump that up to 2 cartons per hour for $40 to $60 profit.

I'm surprised there isn't large black market for them now, perhaps there is and I'm not aware of it.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Looks like I was right...the smoking rates in NEPA are extremely high, and much higher than PA as a whole, which ranks in the middle of the pack for states:

Prevalence of cigarette smoking in Northeast Pennsylvania in 2002

Really shocking (and a sad commentary) was the 40.7% smoking rate for 30-44 year olds in NEPA, double the state and national average.

NEPA has smoking rates the mirror the states with the highest smoking rates in the US, such as Kentucky and West Virginia:
http://www.tobaccofreedelawarecounty...ystate2006.pdf

27.5% of NEPA residents are smokers, compared to 21.5% for PA as a whole, and comparable to Kentucky's status as the highest % of smokers with 28.5%. West Virginia's rate (25.7%) is actually lower than NEPA.

Its a sad commentary on this area.
40.7% ?? I honestly thought it would have been higher.... the # of smokers in the building I worked out outnumbered the non smokers at least 10 to 1.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
At this point with cigarette taxes so high I figure I could sell the one I roll myself at $3 or $4 per pack which is $2 or $3 profit. Probably take an hour to make a carton right now but If I was going to be making a lot of them I'd streamline the process and probably could bump that up to 2 cartons per hour for $40 to $60 profit.

I'm surprised there isn't large black market for them now, perhaps there is and I'm not aware of it.
Coalman - isn't capitalism great??

Sort of like the doctors who prescribe tons of Oxy to folks that really don't need it. Then the "patients" sell a single pill on the street for $20.

You got the right idea - too bad it isn't as profitable as the prescription drug scam.....

Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
The govt tried the alcohol ban. It blew up in their face.

I don't want to veer off course, but the money being blown on the DEA, ATF, and now local police depts gearing up like jack-booted thugs is a joke that most people can see right through.

Never mind Prison.Inc.. which is fed by the agencies noted above and are full of non-violent offenders, many that were found guilty of possessing an evil weed....

The problem with govt programs is that they spend gog-awful amounts of money without showing any results - and the beat of jack-boots goes on and on and on.
I am not talking about banning. I'm talking about regulating the use of these products.

I will ask the naysayers again:

Do you feel that DUI laws are just as bad and "judgmental" as anti-smoking laws?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
And I can find all kinds of studies that will dispute them....
Please do.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am not talking about banning. I'm talking about regulating the use of these products.

I will ask the naysayers again:

Do you feel that DUI laws are just as bad and "judgmental" as anti-smoking laws?
Apples vs Oranges..

A DUI driver can kill people....

A smoker - not so.

IMO, there are already enough safeguards in place regarding indoor smoking - including the ludicrous regulations where govt can impose restrictions on a private tax-paying individual who owns a bar.

That's the problem with many anti-groups, they are not happy until their efforts result in a total ban..

p.s. - I won't even bother with the links you provided. But it makes me wonder who funds those studies, it's probably as mucked up as man-made global warming.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Please do.
Oak Ridge Laboratory reputable enough?
Quote:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory - Exposures to second-hand smoke lower than believed, ORNL study finds

The study, which involved 173 people employed at restaurants or taverns of varying sizes in the Knoxville area, concluded that exposures to respirable suspended particulate matter (RSP), for example, were considerably below limits established by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for the workplace.

Subjects, who were non-smokers, wore pumps that sampled the air they were breathing while at work for a minimum of four hours. Researchers recorded a maximum RSP level of 768 micrograms per cubic meter. The OSHA standard for RSP is 5,000 micrograms per cubic meter over eight hours. Samples from the subjects were analyzed for ultraviolet absorbing and fluorescing particulate matter, solanesol, 3-ethenyl pyridine, nicotine and RSP.
Again we can play this game all day but you should note I'll be using very reputable sources. I haven't looked over any of the links you posted but that will be next. This is usually where I find the best material for my arguments becaue people rarely read or research what they the link to past the title .

Old 10-20-2010, 01:55 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
If it was that much of an issue for myself I would live in place that didn't allow smoking.
it was no smoking when i moved in the landlord's wife changed it so her friend could move in and smoke up a storm---whatever made you think i would have moved into a building that permitted smoking????? and no it was not in writing--my mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates